CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Thoughts on SS's with ZL1 badging and parts (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548138)

drfeelgood 02-14-2019 10:29 AM

Thoughts on SS's with ZL1 badging and parts

Just curious about the general opinion here on RS and SS Camaros that put entire ZL1 panels, grills, hoods, and badges on their cars.

Do you guys think its a tribute to the ZL1, or does it come across as posing?

I saw an SS with a complete conversion to ZL1 appearance, including badging... this is my first Camaro so wasn't sure if this was normal behavior in the Camaro world. In many other cars, it seems to be frowned upon.

Not a big deal either way, just curious as to what people thought about this

ToeKnee Sea 02-14-2019 10:40 AM

Posing. Better to be good than look good.

Laststandard 02-14-2019 10:48 AM

Frowned upon just as much in the Camaro world as the rest of the car world. I see less of it on Camaros than I do AMG or ///M badges stuck on their respective makes.

Personally, I removed all my badges other than the SS and bowtie in the front grill.

MikeEM1 02-14-2019 11:55 AM

Pretty lame and tacky.

Vtor_ZL1 02-14-2019 11:59 AM

OK, As long as you dont stick ZL1 badges on it.

drfeelgood 02-14-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 (Post 10437199)
OK, As long as you dont stick ZL1 badges on it.

but that's the thing. I have seen cars put ZL1 badges on , and called them out on it.

HyperBlu17 02-14-2019 01:25 PM

I've never understood the need for someone to throw badges on a vehicle that doesn't belong there whether its a Camaro or any other car. Just total crap!

BDivine76 02-14-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laststandard (Post 10437140)
Frowned upon just as much in the Camaro world as the rest of the car world. I see less of it on Camaros than I do AMG or ///M badges stuck on their respective makes.

Personally, I removed all my badges other than the SS and bowtie in the front grill.

I agree with ^^...I see tons of BMW "M" cars on the road. I had an M5 and it drove me a little nuts. I haven't seen many Camaros do this, but I am sure they are out there.

kropscamaro16 02-14-2019 01:28 PM

im not a fan of the fake zl1 parts but if you do it right with oem parts i dont see a HUUGE problem with it. i have a zl1 suede wheel and steering wheel in my car but no zl1 hood or bumper . I did talk to gm at sema a few years ago about the ss body with the full zl1 aero, brakes and suspension they built as a road race machine and i thought that was pretty cool to do

drfeelgood 02-14-2019 02:07 PM

And it's not even about brute power... plenty of SS's out there with prochargers, superchargers, putting down big numbers... I have seen LT1 badges on cars, and even ZL1 hoods with LT1 badges, which I think is cool, but the purposeful re-badging with ZL1 badges I have found to be kind of lame.

Not so much on this forum (although I don't frequent many other parts of the forum) but more so on Instagram pages and in local car clubs.. I recently saw a V6 Camaro with full ZL1 1LE aero and badges... opened the hood and I was like wowwwwwwww

EDFHOBBIES 02-14-2019 02:36 PM

It's been done since the 90s when Z28 SS owners put on SLP hoods and spoilers(ME) and it wasn't a real SLP car.. And it's probably been going on long before that.. Let's face it the Zl1 front fascia is just mean looking and functional just like the 5th gen(ME)! But No on the badges and a NO on brake covers(if that was your next question!)

Scottyz 02-14-2019 02:46 PM

Doesn’t bother me with wings and other add ons.
Badges....to me it’s wrong. No different than owning a coronet and badging as a Super Bee.
Or a SS Chevelle and it’s a malibu

arpad_m 02-14-2019 02:48 PM

Badges are 100% posing, exterior trim pieces I think are okay.

I for one strongly prefer the SS front fascia and hood, the vertical DRL and the giant holes on the ZL1 grille aren't my thing, but it's a personal preference. I understand if someone wants more air or likes the carbon fiber hood insert, absolutely no problem until they start blatantly lying about their trim choice, which is pathetic. The same applies to SS and LT1 posers, of course.