CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   "Sales drop could be sign of peril for American muscle cars" (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538234)

Kobra_Klutch 09-09-2018 03:46 PM

"Sales drop could be sign of peril for American muscle cars"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sales...131156726.html

:popcorn:

redcoats1976 09-09-2018 04:50 PM

not everyone that buys a a camaro or mustang buys the V8.some of us like the styling and think the T4 or 6 cylinders are fine,but it is kind of worrisome that sales numbers are shrinking.

Cmax 09-09-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra_Klutch (Post 10306303)

Does anyone remember when big media was vilifying SUVs and saying that people were moving away from them?
SUVs are now more popular than cars! I hate when big media makes up news to sway opinion and affect purchases etc...
Yahoo is the source if this article, and they lump all mustangs and Camaros into their generalized stats that are really opinion unless they offer facts. “Baby boomers buy loud v8s” they quote, but offer no specifics. I saw a poll on camaro6 that most buyers are not boomers...but I can’t say what the ages of SS buyers are... nor does the author offer proof....

Snowbird12 09-09-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmax (Post 10306355)
Does anyone remember when big media was vilifying SUVs and saying that people were moving away from them?
SUVs are now more popular than cars! I hate when big media makes up news to sway opinion and affect purchases etc...
Yahoo is the source if this article, and they lump all mustangs and Camaros into their generalized stats that are really opinion unless they offer facts. “Baby boomers buy loud v8s” they quote, but offer no specifics. I saw a poll on camaro6 that most buyers are not boomers...but I can’t say what the ages of SS buyers are... nor does the author offer proof....

I am fed up with the pointy heads telling us what they think.
Every time I fire up my 2SS i hope a prius dies
I get cdn 35 miles per gallon and 1000 smiles per mile
I have owned 8 Corvettes and 4 Camaros
I am doing my part to keep American Muscle going

Number 3 09-09-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowbird12 (Post 10306366)
I am fed up with the pointy heads telling us what they think.
Every time I fire up my 2SS i hope a prius dies
I get cdn 35 miles per gallon and 1000 smiles per mile
I have owned 8 Corvettes and 4 Camaros
I am doing my part to keep American Muscle going

Although you've clearly done your fair share, the rest of the buying public isn't going your way.

Cmax 09-09-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 10306383)
Although you've clearly done your fair share, the rest of the buying public isn't going your way.

Sir, if you look at vehicle sales, I think sales of cars in general are down, in favor of trucks and SUVs.
I maintain that the article offers no proof to the claim...I don’t know either, but I just wish I could read something from “news” people and gain more knowledge than I had before I read it.

Cmax 09-09-2018 06:44 PM

I just read the build counts.... approx 11,000 more loud V8 Camaros were sold in 2017 vs 2016 model years.

AZCamaroFan 09-09-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmax (Post 10306355)

yes as i recall gas was $4 a gallon

Number 3 09-09-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmax (Post 10306395)
Sir, if you look at vehicle sales, I think sales of cars in general are down, in favor of trucks and SUVs.
I maintain that the article offers no proof to the claim...I don’t know either, but I just wish I could read something from “news” people and gain more knowledge than I had before I read it.

Every article I've read, that includes sales data, has sedan/car sales tanking and SUV sales increasing. The Honda Accord is down around 30% but replaced by SUV sales. Even elsewhere in Camar6 someone just posted GM's sales for August and it shows cars tanking and SUVs not tanking as much. The numbers in general looked pretty bad for GM. Camaro numbers in the data were way down year over year.

Kobra_Klutch 09-09-2018 08:36 PM

Just my .02.

I personally believe cyberspace is the getaway younger people seek as opposed to how taking a long spirited drive does for the older generations. Chevy is trying to get these younger buyers to get into an entry-level Camaro so they can hopefully steer them later into the bigger engine models and etc. I personally believe this is going to be an uphill battle that Chevy will not win. Cyberspace is real and so is the information highway. Jumping in a car and dragging up and down the street with your girlfriend is old hat. Many of these young people rather make videos of themselves doing other things than waste money on gas, insurance, and a monthly car payment. Muscle cars will be the first to go in my opinion. The purest of these cars (V8s) are not for light-wallet individuals.

Conversely, there's a lot of tinkering a younger buyer can do (more economically) with an entry-level Camaro, which is more sports car than muscle car nowadays. I think Chevy is sending a message to the older crowd that they are now moving towards the new money and that the older crowd is no longer their point of emphasis. Chevy, Ford, and Dodge know that they are the only 3 options for the purest/extremists muscle car fanatics out there. They also know these individuals will pay a premium to keep these cars around. Having so few options for domestic muscle/pony cars will keep their prices on the high side. Here are our options as of today:

Chevrolet Camaro
Ford Mustang
Dodge Challenger/Charger

I believe we are nearing the tipping point of change.

Vtor_ZL1 09-09-2018 09:40 PM

Got mine, gets your before it's all small displacement no go cvt crap :)

redcoats1976 09-10-2018 05:00 PM

:eyebulge:waiting for the hybrid twin turbo v6 with 600 hp and electric motor...