CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - New England (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Crazy Mode Car (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588911)

Saltydog 02-28-2021 09:37 PM

Crazy Mode Car

20201 LT1. My mode changes while I am driving. I'm trying to find out what is normal. I can not stay in sport mode. It will change whenever it want's to. Dealer has done testing along with factory Eng. and now their telling me that nothing is wrong. If I start out driving in sport mode, should I end up after driving for miles at all speeds, and park it, should I still be in sport mode. I never am. it switches to Track mode. Getting fed up with dealer. Oh and lastly, the indicator on the dash will not change. The car changes modes but the dash say's it's in sport.

Mark114 02-28-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltydog (Post 10963874)
20201 LT1. My mode changes while I am driving. I'm trying to find out what is normal. I can not stay in sport mode. It will change whenever it want's to. Dealer has done testing along with factory Eng. and now their telling me that nothing is wrong. If I start out driving in sport mode, should I end up after driving for miles at all speeds, and park it, should I still be in sport mode. I never am. it switches to Track mode. Getting fed up with dealer. Oh and lastly, the indicator on the dash will not change. The car changes modes but the dash say's it's in sport.

The LT1 model only includes Snow/Ice, Tour, and Sport modes. It doesn't include track mode like the SS and ZL1 models. Does your car have the automatic or manual transmission? What is the car doing to lead you to believe that it is switching modes while driving?

Saltydog 03-01-2021 03:29 AM

Sorry about that. It is an SS without the MAP and exhaust. I do have track and that's how I know it changes. There is a change in exhaust but kicker is the throttle response. It's doing the same thing as if I changed it manually, but I'm not. If I stop the car and shut it down, restart it, it will go back to sport but change again as soon as I start to drive it. Not only frustrating, but when someone question's my HP on the road, I may not be in sport mode.

ember1205 03-01-2021 07:14 AM

Get your right hand away from the console while you're driving - make sure you aren't hitting the rocker switch. And, if you are hitting that switch, and it's a manual, change your driving habits immediately as you should not be driving around with your hand resting on the shifter.

The car will default to Sport Mode when started if it was turned off in Sport Mode. Leave it in any other mode when you turn it off, and it starts up in Tour mode. The mode does NOT change by itself while driving, so you're doing to something to make it change (see above).

Your original post isn't clear as to whether it's a 2020 or 2021 (you wrote 20201), but I'm guessing 2021. If so, go into your Infotainment system and check for (and apply) updates to the software. It's possible that there's a needed update and the system is doing odd things without that patch as a result.

Saltydog 03-01-2021 07:49 AM

Thanks much. I know enough to keep my hands where they belong. It's a manual, which I waited long enough for. It's been established by the dealer that it's changing modes without hitting the rocker. If I start out in sport, by the end of a short trip with speeds of >70, when I slow down, it's in track mode. Dash say's sport. If I start the same trip in tour mode, it will stay in tour. This problem seems to only be in sport mode. Just will not stay in sport.

Just so you know...I'm 75 going on 20. Have driven everything from go-karts to top fuel in 1/4 mile. Stock cars and as a retired Aerospace Eng. even a F-22 Raptor. This has got me bugged.

ember1205 03-01-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltydog (Post 10964017)
Thanks much. I know enough to keep my hands where they belong. It's a manual, which I waited long enough for. It's been established by the dealer that it's changing modes without hitting the rocker. If I start out in sport, by the end of a short trip with speeds of >70, when I slow down, it's in track mode. Dash say's sport. If I start the same trip in tour mode, it will stay in tour. This problem seems to only be in sport mode. Just will not stay in sport.

Just so you know...I'm 75 going on 20. Have driven everything from go-karts to top fuel in 1/4 mile. Stock cars and as a retired Aerospace Eng. even a F-22 Raptor. This has got me bugged.

OK... Manual, but you're not driving with your hand on the shifter, and it's established that the change is occurring without pressing the rocker switch. Good info.

You stated that the dash says it's in Sport mode but it's actually switch to Track mode? At least, that's how I'm reading what you wrote.

If the dealer was able to determine that the mode is switching w/o pressing the button, what else did they do to try and determine the issue? Did anyone try disconnecting the rocker switch to see if the switch itself is faulty and sending 'presses' without being touched?

Have you tried checking the Infotainment software like was suggested to see if there might be an update for it that would clear it up?

Saltydog 03-01-2021 08:19 AM

The factory Eng. have had the mech. do all sorts of testing. They thought it was either a bad ground or low voltage to a solenoid. Seems all testing came back neg. so their saying everything is ok. I'm saying it's not.
Also seems that no one know for sure how it's supposed to work. Factory Eng. have never seen this problem before and can't reproduce it in test cars. For some reason, it's not good being a first in this case. :)

My salesman that sold me the 2020 new, is trying to get one just like mine to see what the difference is between it and mine. I'm trying to tell them that all Camaro's with mode should act the same.

I'm still working with them as I won't let this go. Been going on for 5 months now.

ember1205 03-01-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltydog (Post 10964034)
The factory Eng. have had the mech. do all sorts of testing. They thought it was either a bad ground or low voltage to a solenoid. Seems all testing came back neg. so their saying everything is ok. I'm saying it's not.
Also seems that no one know for sure how it's supposed to work. Factory Eng. have never seen this problem before and can't reproduce it in test cars. For some reason, it's not good being a first in this case. :)

My salesman that sold me the 2020 new, is trying to get one just like mine to see what the difference is between it and mine. I'm trying to tell them that all Camaro's with mode should act the same.

I'm still working with them as I won't let this go. Been going on for 5 months now.

You've stated that they reproduced the problem at the dealership, but GM can't reproduce it in test cars. That means there's an issue and GM needs to provide guidance to fix it.

Might be worth chatting with the service manager and bringing up involving GM directly via a Support Case. See how squirrely they get when you mention involving corporate... :)

Saltydog 03-01-2021 10:01 AM

Thanks Ember. I plan on getting the factory involved. The factory could NOT reproduce the problem and I think that they are just trying to pull one over on me.
I will use some tactics here. Oh, they just did a software update on it. Notice on infoscreen to park it and once update starts, will not be able to start the car.
it took about 10 minutes of the lights going on and off and door locks up and down. Guess what. Problem still there.

I'll give them credit for trying.

ember1205 03-01-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltydog (Post 10964090)
Thanks Ember. I plan on getting the factory involved. The factory could NOT reproduce the problem and I think that they are just trying to pull one over on me.
I will use some tactics here. Oh, they just did a software update on it. Notice on infoscreen to park it and once update starts, will not be able to start the car.
it took about 10 minutes of the lights going on and off and door locks up and down. Guess what. Problem still there.

I'll give them credit for trying.

If the dealership is able to reliably reproduce the problem in your car, and no one can cause the problem in anyone else's car, that's a clear-cut indicator of a problem in your car that needs to be corrected. There's nothing to "pull over on you."

What you're indicating about software updates means that it isn't software related. It's going to be related to a body control module, bad switch, or bad wiring (including bad grounds, which are all too common in this car).

Hope you get it sorted.