CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   Ceramic coating for brake dust (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552286)

z28pat 04-15-2019 08:07 PM

Ceramic coating for brake dust

I have a 1le with those dusty brake pads and I’m curious if anyone has tried the ceramic coating for this purpose? What kinda results did you get , did it work ?
Thanks

Gunkk 04-15-2019 09:04 PM

Yes. Before I swapped out my stock pads I put a coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black + a coat of EXO on the wheels. It reduces dust buildup a little and helps make cleaning easier. A hose rinse will get most of the dust off most of the time. But coatings won’t prevent the sticky brake dust from getting on the wheels. And you’ll still need to use soap and agitation to get grease and oils off the wheels.

The best way to manage dust is to swap out the pads for Powerstop z26 or similar, but that’s not an option if you track your car.

SSJ455 04-16-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 10491599)
Yes. Before I swapped out my stock pads I put a coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black + a coat of EXO on the wheels. It reduces dust buildup a little and helps make cleaning easier. A hose rinse will get most of the dust off most of the time. But coatings won’t prevent the sticky brake dust from getting on the wheels. And you’ll still need to use soap and agitation to get grease and oils off the wheels.

The best way to manage dust is to swap out the pads for Powerstop z26 or similar, but that’s not an option if you track your car.

Have you had any issue with the rotors warping with the ceramic pads?

peteric 04-23-2019 01:45 AM

Ceramic coating makes cleaning the wheels a lot easier.

WILWAXU 04-23-2019 08:46 AM

Yup, my wheels and calipers are coated. Makes for quick and easy clean up.

Soleil 04-23-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteric (Post 10498513)
Ceramic coating makes cleaning the wheels a lot easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILWAXU (Post 10498691)
Yup, my wheels and calipers are coated. Makes for quick and easy clean up.

Yes 100% agree.
Don’t expect „no dust built up“ but the cleaning is much more easier.

Glen e 04-23-2019 10:13 AM

It’s important if you’re a novice to understand that the coating is just going to let the brake dust sit on top of the coating, rather than on top of the painted surface, therefore much easier to get off. But the volume of brake dust will go on unabaited until you mount a “non-track” pad like the powerstop.

VinnAY 04-23-2019 10:26 AM

Doesn't this stuff seem pretty expensive? I don't know if what I'm looking at is the right
product(s) but I get sticker shock with ceramic products.

441bertre 04-23-2019 11:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased the Adam's Wheel Coating Kit for my 1LE. I've only washed the car once since I applied the coating, seemed like it helped when I cleaned the wheels. I'm not a big ceramic coating fan but I would recommend.

Gunkk 04-23-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJ455 (Post 10491957)
Have you had any issue with the rotors warping with the ceramic pads?

No issues whatsoever. Haven't heard of any warped rotor issues on or cars. The Brembos are stout.

Only self- inflicted issue is a mild squeak in the rears when cold because I left off the shims. :facepalm:
But it goes away after the first stop so it's all good.

SSport16 04-24-2019 09:26 AM

I have been using Hydro2 on the wheels, gets in all the small spaces that you can't get into on the wheel. Then I follow up with an application of Reload. I do this at least twice a year. Still have tons of brake dust, but as mentioned above, it is easier to get off. I like to wipe my wheels down, especially the barrels, each and every time I am done driving the car for the day.

SSJ455 04-24-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 10499264)
No issues whatsoever. Haven't heard of any warped rotor issues on or cars. The Brembos are stout.

Only self- inflicted issue is a mild squeak in the rears when cold because I left off the shims. :facepalm:
But it goes away after the first stop so it's all good.

Thanks. I bought some Powerstop pads and rotors. I may attempt to install them this weekend. I haven't done brakes before so I am a bit apprehensive. I saw a good video on youtube from LethalCamaro so I am trying to get youtube certified.

CanyonCarver 04-25-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJ455 (Post 10499844)
Thanks. I bought some Powerstop pads and rotors. I may attempt to install them this weekend. I haven't done brakes before so I am a bit apprehensive. I saw a good video on youtube from LethalCamaro so I am trying to get youtube certified.

Changing the brakes and rotors is SUPER easy

EXCEPT for the caliper bolts. You'll need a medium breaker bar. They are tight af

I am a fan of coating tires as well. SOME dust will "stick less" and clean up is much easier

Osbornsm 05-01-2019 03:50 PM

Yeah i noticed that too.

The two main brake caliper bolts are put on there with a THANOS level of torque.

Anybody have the ft/lb for how tight they should be?
- I've been using the German torque spec... gutentite.

:frown: