CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   Whipple + Drag Radials = DS suicide (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564610)

Joshinator99 11-02-2019 02:59 PM

Whipple + Drag Radials = DS suicide

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I went to the drag strip for the last weekend of the year in hopes of finally taking advantage of some good air (finally!). First run was 10.90 but at a better 130 MPH thanks to the new Griptec 3.50” pulley and 250 DA (https://photos.app.goo.gl/9V5UipNQDWVeNLSk8). With a very soft launch and crappy 1.79 60’ time, I knew a 10.50 was a possibility if I could improve my launch. I figured with a stock motor, stock manifolds, stock cats, and 20” wheels, that would be damn good for me. So I launched Full Send on the next run and it hooked! Great launch, but 20’ later it was all over with my stock DS giving up the ghost. I can’t believe how small the stock SS DS is by the carrier bearing?!? I was happy that I was running a BMR DS loop though... In any event, I just upgraded to the 3.5” GForce Engineering aluminum DS and can report it is smooth as butter out on the street. Absolutely zero vibrations and saves about 7 lbs of rotating weight too. Hopefully this one will live a little longer than the factory one!

wnta1ss 11-03-2019 06:12 AM

Well that stinks. I had the same thought as you on the driveshaft loop, and went with a BMR when I'd bought a supercharger 'just in case'.

Joshinator99 11-03-2019 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnta1ss (Post 10653464)
Well that stinks. I had the same thought as you on the driveshaft loop, and went with a BMR when I'd bought a supercharger 'just in case'.

Yeah, I was *really* glad I had done the loop! I did the loop about 2 months ago after seeing my buddies 750 WHP Mustang do this number to his aluminum DS (believe the brand was dynatech? Never heard of them.). I think I’m more bummed out on missing out on 250 DA air than I am breaking a DS... :smiling1:

wnta1ss 11-03-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 10653483)
I think I’m more bummed out on missing out on 250 DA air than I am breaking a DS... :smiling1:

If you want to get one last fling in this season, Atco Raceway in NJ should still be open this month, weather allowing. A few years ago I went there in my SS on 'Black Friday' (local racer friend had told me about it) and got 3 runs in. NHRA track, so rules should basically be the same as at the Valley.

KingLT1 11-03-2019 07:29 AM

Wow...That thing snapped off clean. I haven't seen one break there. They usually twist that coupler in the rear and bend the bolts

Joshinator99 11-03-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLT1 (Post 10653489)
Wow...That thing snapped off clean. I haven't seen one break there. They usually twist that coupler in the rear and bend the bolts

Well, on the bright side, those Nitto NT555R drag radials definitely hooked! :smiling1:

Joshinator99 11-03-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnta1ss (Post 10653488)
If you want to get one last fling in this season, Atco Raceway in NJ should still be open this month, weather allowing. A few years ago I went there in my SS on 'Black Friday' (local racer friend had told me about it) and got 3 runs in. NHRA track, so rules should basically be the same as at the Valley.

Tempting! I can’t believe they are open through November. Should be some great boost weather. But I haven’t bought a trailer yet, so that would have to happen before I went that far to race.

Jhunsberger 11-05-2019 12:08 PM

Man, thats 1 thing I was afraid of when I got my DR setup. Thru an AL Gforce drive shaft and DSS axles in. Always chasing the weakest link! Glad you didnt get hurt and it didnt cause to much damage!

Joshinator99 11-05-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhunsberger (Post 10654916)
Man, thats 1 thing I was afraid of when I got my DR setup. Thru an AL Gforce drive shaft and DSS axles in. Always chasing the weakest link! Glad you didnt get hurt and it didnt cause to much damage!

Thanks! Good call on doing the axles too...that will probably be next to grenade if I don't address them soon... The BMR DS loop was a lifesaver!

steelheadrob 11-06-2019 08:23 PM

Something I should think about for next season. So far I havent had any issues with mine. Seems like the A8's that have had DS breaks have been at higher power levels but I havent been tracking this that closely. Missing out on DA like that I would be bummed also.

Joshinator99 11-06-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelheadrob (Post 10656050)
Something I should think about for next season. So far I havent had any issues with mine. Seems like the A8's that have had DS breaks have been at higher power levels but I havent been tracking this that closely. Missing out on DA like that I would be bummed also.

Agreed! Our track is normally around 2000 DA (not quite as bad as yours Rob lol), so I was looking forward to cool fall air for months... :cry:

L78toLT1 11-14-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhunsberger (Post 10654916)

I went with Gforce shaft and axles and have to admit I'm still a little worried about the aluminum shaft after laynlo's experience. I also find it strange that most of the shaft failures are on automatic cars; I'd think the manuals would be much harder on shafts.
Jhunsberger, are you still on your original clutch? I wonder which clutch is the best option when running drag radials? When mine gives up the ghost, I'd like to replace it with something that somewhat softens the impact of launching on DR's and is as street friendly as the stocker

Jhunsberger 11-16-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L78toLT1 (Post 10660613)
I went with Gforce shaft and axles and have to admit I'm still a little worried about the aluminum shaft after laynlo's experience. I also find it strange that most of the shaft failures are on automatic cars; I'd think the manuals would be much harder on shafts.
Jhunsberger, are you still on your original clutch? I wonder which clutch is the best option when running drag radials? When mine gives up the ghost, I'd like to replace it with something that somewhat softens the impact of launching on DR's and is as street friendly as the stocker

I am running stock clutch. I have spent some time talk to others about possibly replacing it, but for the most part no one is having issues at my power level. So I will just run it till it needs to be replaced. I am thinking of pulling my Gforce aluminum driveshaft out over the winter, since I feel it could be better balanced.

Joshinator99 11-16-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhunsberger (Post 10661931)
I am thinking of pulling my Gforce aluminum driveshaft out over the winter, since I feel it could be better balanced.

Interesting comment. I just installed a 3.5” GForce aluminum DS and couldn’t help but notice how smooth it was? Is it at a particular speed that you are noticing an issue?