CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Which headers to get or even get them. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589142)

BlackbeastSS2 03-07-2021 11:02 AM

Which headers to get or even get them.

Which headers to get or even get them.

Ok, doing the cam install soon. Which headers should I get or even get them. I installed Kooks headers 1 7/8 LT last time on my 2016.

This time I am not sure what route to go but ready to order and pay.

1.) I was thinking of the Jet Hot kooks 1 7/8 or 2 inch? $1300 ish
2.) Texas Speed Performance Headers 700 ish
3.) Speed Engineering Headers. $370 ish

The range in price is from around $1300 to a low of $370. Of course there must be some consideration of quality of build. But is it like buying a Nike runner compared to a lesser shoe that still does the job. Plus the ceramic coating is it worth the extra money to go with them vrs the TSP Headers? I do want a cooler engine bay but the Nitrous does that internally. Hmmm I am not 100 % sure yet which route to go.

SJFGTO 03-07-2021 12:11 PM

Depending on the specs of your cam, most cams will benefit from the better breathing provided by LTs. Typically a cam will move your power band to higher rpm levels and that is where you want better, more efficient exhaust flow/and less back pressure. Kooks and ARH are typically at the top in terms of quality of the metal, welds and fit. I would highly recommend having them coated. Also, invest in some plug wire sleeves for additional protection from heat breakdown and burnt wires.

BlackbeastSS2 03-07-2021 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SJFGTO (Post 10968038)
Depending on the specs of your cam, most cams will benefit from the better breathing provided by LTs. Typically a cam will move your power band to higher rpm levels and that is where you want better, more efficient exhaust flow/and less back pressure. Kooks and ARH are typically at the top in terms of quality of the metal, welds and fit. I would highly recommend having them coated. Also, invest in some plug wire sleeves for additional protection from heat breakdown and burnt wires.

The cam is the EL C7 TSP. Have header socks from other build. I have purchased already Smith Brothers LS / LT (Gen 5) Bronze Trunnion Upgrade Kit, TSP 660 springs, LS7 lifters but I might go to the GPI LS7 race lifters. If I had known about those before getting the LS7 lifters I would have. BTR harden rods. I am thinking of seriously upgrading the valves to a harden stem.

After headers the next purchase is the GPI drop in pistons at the end of this month. So I am just about finished collecting all parts, gaskets, oils, fluids, etc.

I guess I will give Texas Speed a call tomorrow to see which headers they recommend 1 7/8 or 2 inch with my build.

enzia35 03-07-2021 04:36 PM

Don't get the Jet Hot Kooks. They're made from crappier quality steel than the uncoated ones.

BruceWayne1LE 03-07-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enzia35 (Post 10968147)
Don't get the Jet Hot Kooks. They're made from crappier quality steel than the uncoated ones.

The jet hot ones are 409 stainless instead of 304. If you get them coated it really won’t make a difference. I bought my catted TSP headers NIB from another member for 700$ had them coated locally for 250$ . My vote is for the TSP headers.

Trochoidal 03-07-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE (Post 10968288)
The jet hot ones are 409 stainless instead of 304. If you get them coated it really won’t make a difference. I bought my catted TSP headers NIB from another member for 700$ had them coated locally for 250$ . My vote is for the TSP headers.

Makes you wonder if all coated headers that are being sold are 409, hence the “free” coating.

https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...nless-steel%3F

BlackbeastSS2 03-08-2021 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE (Post 10968288)

Thanks for info, leaning to TSP now.

s346k 03-08-2021 05:09 AM

camshaft? yes, install headers.

about a year ago i went with 2" speed engineering headers. no complaints. fwiw i've NEVER seen a ceramic coated header hold its coating. ever. this goes for tsp, flowmaster, pacesetter, kooks, thorley, banks...not one of them. be it factory coating or jet hot, doesn't matter.

Robby23 03-08-2021 05:50 AM

go 2" headers. some will say you don't need them until like 700+but there is no negative side to running 2" over the 1-7/8 plus if you do more mods you already got the bigger headers. I know of someone who actually customized bigger then 2" headers and seen 22 rwhp difference on a 416 NA motor. TSP is best bang for your buck. i got my headers non-catted new for 650 and had them locally ceramic coated for like 150 bucks. fitment was good and no issues in 2 years use.

danhr 03-08-2021 06:16 AM

Coatings are trash.... especially jet hot. My jet hot hooker headers lost their voting after a year

2" headers, 10 times out if 10. 1 7/8 longtube headers belong no where near a 6th gen

overdriv 03-08-2021 09:47 AM

I have had two sets of Hedman Elite headers ceramic coated on two different BBC engines.
The oldest set is now seven years old and the coating on both looks as new.

I will never have a set of headers without ceramic coating.

My 2 cents.

GrayLT1 03-08-2021 10:56 AM

I would probably go with AirBorne coatings. From what I understand this is the guy who started Jet Hot and sold the business to some other company. He started this business after selling Jet Hot.

Of course please confirm all of that if/when you talk with them.

BlackbeastSS2 03-08-2021 11:19 AM

Anyone no if that heat ceramic paint actually helps with the heat when you spray your headers with a rattle can.

seethruya 03-08-2021 01:05 PM

If you’re not installing the headers yourself, why the Texas Speed Performance Headers over the budget Speed Engineering Headers?