CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   First time at the track - Check list!? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586277)

SoCal Smith 12-27-2020 02:33 AM

First time at the track - Check list!?

Hi,

I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE and have 0 track experience.

Thinking about going to Fontana Speedway and/or Big Willow Springs

I purchased Apex Arc 8 rims and planning on using 325/30/19 & 345/30/19 Hoosier R7( Haven't purchased tires yet, should I just use OEM? )

Hawk DC70 front pads
Hawk DC60 rear pads
Fluid SRF racing fluid
Front tow bar
Helmet

I will be driving the car to the event(s). I am thinking about picking up a trailer.

I was thinking of bringing extra transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid, electric pump air w/ gauge.

Thanks for suggestions/missing items!:happy0180:

Move_Over 12-27-2020 07:22 AM

I think you are putting the cart way before the horse my man. There’s a lot to learn.

If you have 0 track experience you shouldn’t even be thinking about R7’s, the SCR’s are advanced enough to mask most beginners mistakes. Hoosiers are great but you need to learn how to drive first.

The only thing you need is decent brake fluid. DTC’s are also out of the question for beginners, stick with stock pads. No need for a trailer yet, figure out if you enjoy tracking first.

Bring a torque wrench, decent food, plenty of water, a standard mechanics tool set and a brake bleeder and extra brake fluid. Lots of beginners overheat their brakes from over braking and not knowing how to modulate brakes on these heavy cars.

Check the ego at the gate, get an instructor and learn, learn, learn. Soak as much information as you can, go ask the fast guys questions. If you notice a seasoned driver driving a similar car to yours, see if you can hop in the car with them.

Dabjbr 12-27-2020 09:40 AM

Great advice^

Take it easy. Lots to learn before spending a ton of cash on unnecessary stuff.

Eat light and often throughout day with lots of water. A full day track event can be mentally exhausting.

Take aspirin as well and Bonine (anti nausea medicine). These G forces can make you sick

SoCal Smith 12-27-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Move_Over (Post 10925792)
I think you are putting the cart way before the horse my man. There’s a lot to learn.

If you have 0 track experience you shouldn’t even be thinking about R7’s, the SCR’s are advanced enough to mask most beginners mistakes. Hoosiers are great but you need to learn how to drive first.

The only thing you need is decent brake fluid. DTC’s are also out of the question for beginners, stick with stock pads. No need for a trailer yet, figure out if you enjoy tracking first.

Bring a torque wrench, decent food, plenty of water, a standard mechanics tool set and a brake bleeder and extra brake fluid. Lots of beginners overheat their brakes from over braking and not knowing how to modulate brakes on these heavy cars.

Check the ego at the gate, get an instructor and learn, learn, learn. Soak as much information as you can, go ask the fast guys questions. If you notice a seasoned driver driving a similar car to yours, see if you can hop in the car with them.

Appreciate the info!

Alpha1BC 12-27-2020 05:30 PM

Ditto all the above. Here's another thread highlighting some specific packing lists: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567695

I highly recommend sticking with stock wheels, tires, and brakes. No need to swap stuff out as stock is plenty capable for track driving and will work best with all the controls systems (i.e. PTM).

If you haven't already done so, make sure to read through the owner's manual, high performance supplement, and track prep guide for your car to be familiar with all the prep steps and additional features you can use on the track before you get to the track. In addition to brake fluid needing swapped there are a number of other things that should be done. Diff fluid change specifics, track alignment settings, starting cold tire pressures, and IIRC the ZL1 1LE is also recommended to use a different oil when being used on track. All good things to do to for longevity, even with no prior track experience, and also required to maintain warranty.

ZRacerLE 12-27-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal Smith (Post 10925755)
Hi,

I purchased Apex Arc 8 rims and planning on using 325/30/19 & 345/30/19 Hoosier R7( Haven't purchased tires yet, should I just use OEM? )

Hawk DC70 front pads
Hawk DC60 rear pads
Fluid SRF racing fluid
Front tow bar
Helmet

I will be driving the car to the event(s). I am thinking about picking up a trailer.

I was thinking of bringing extra transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid, electric pump air w/ gauge.

With zero experience, keep the PTM in "dry" and you'll stay plenty safe. Please stick with OEM tires and everything else if it's not too late. Slicks grip, grip, grip, and then let go without warning if you don't have experience with them. Some HPDE groups won't even let you run them in the lower run groups. You'll probably just need a little extra oil and the air pump.

You're about to get seriously hooked...

TWG1 12-27-2020 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This may help. I drive to/from track and this is my prep and pack list. Just bought a trailer, so will be updating it for trailer packing.

You can fit two decent size Rubbermaid totes in your trunk, and still have room for HANS, helmet and folding chair. I put a cooler and life support stuff in fron seat and a spare F and R tire in back seat in case I catch a nail or something on way there.

ZRacerLE 12-27-2020 10:19 PM

Keep on eye on the gas level. Sucks to end a session early because you almost ran out on track. You'll go through about a half tank every session.

Hopefully there's a gas station nearby, otherwise prepare to spend double for gas at the track.

Rodan 12-27-2020 10:51 PM

Go here: http://alfaclubracing.com/type-of-events/#DrivingSchool, and sign up for their Driving School at Streets of Willow January 16-17.

$299 for a two day driving school is a value that you're going to have a hard time beating. This is about the best way to get started in track driving. The Alfa Club school includes classroom instruction, skidpad work, and track.

As noted above, you don't need to change anything on the car, bone stock it's far more capable than 99% of drivers.

Dabjbr 12-27-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWG1 (Post 10926208)
This may help. I drive to/from track and this is my prep and pack list. Just bought a trailer, so will be updating it for trailer packing.

You can fit two decent size Rubbermaid totes in your trunk, and still have room for HANS, helmet and folding chair. I put a cooler and life support stuff in fron seat and a spare F and R tire in back seat in case I catch a nail or something on way there.

This is great. Shamelessly stealing! Thank you!

By any chance do you have it in word format?

kropscamaro16 12-28-2020 11:04 AM

not sure if you are on facebook or not but join our socal 6th gen group im planning on doing big willow with ongrid 1/17 if your down?

TWG1 12-28-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabjbr (Post 10926233)
This is great. Shamelessly stealing! Thank you!

By any chance do you have it in word format?

Send me your email Over PM and I’ll send it to you. Can’t upload word docs on the thread for some reason (or I haven’t figured out how to do so).

Note, word version has some adds/deletes since I reconfigured for trailering. (Mostly just added a trailer section).

Badmojo 12-28-2020 09:21 PM

The Hawk pads are super high friction and you'll over slow a ton if you aren't experienced. I suggest sticking with the factory pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal Smith (Post 10925755)
Hi,

Hawk DC70 front pads
Hawk DC60 rear pads
Fluid SRF racing fluid
Front tow bar
Helmet

Dabjbr 12-28-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWG1 (Post 10926730)
Send me your email Over PM and I’ll send it to you. Can’t upload word docs on the thread for some reason (or I haven’t figured out how to do so).

Note, word version has some adds/deletes since I reconfigured for trailering. (Mostly just added a trailer section).

Sent. Thanks so much!