CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Turbo 4 has been a pleasant surprise this winter. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519401)

Michigan1LTRS 01-26-2018 03:06 PM

Turbo 4 has been a pleasant surprise this winter.

Last year winter not so bad so really never got a feel for how this car would do. Fast forward to this year and its been a rough winter thus far. I just want to say what a champ this car is. Snow, ice, slick roads whatever, it handled like a champ. Using snow/ice mode and of course keeping your foot out of it and it handles the weather very nicely. I'm not talking feet of snow, but less than a foot. I just want to say thank you Chevrolet for this awesome car. :thanks:

Evil-Bee-NH 01-26-2018 03:23 PM

Don't think the last two generations had any real design flaws in the snow my 5th gen was a tank and the 6th gen has done about aswell with more to the wheels and over 700 lbs less.

turbojeep95 01-26-2018 07:59 PM

This thing tracks better in the snow than my old cherokee! It's a little challenging to get going but once you do the car is great. Just try not to stop on hills and keep your momentum up and take off the traction control if you start to spin. With my m6 the traction control will actually stall the car out with it on.

whiskeyfed 01-27-2018 06:21 PM

I HATE people asking me “so how was the drive, must be tough in that car?” I tell them nope! It was actually awesome in the snow. Now, it’s no Brabus, but man this is truly a GREAT daily driver with some all seasons.

jaycee0919 01-29-2018 03:38 PM

I recently started using Snow/Ice mode and I can say for a fact, it is a totally different car - like 100% different. I used to have the Ecoboost and I had one heck of a time going up even the slightest incline with ice, not so with the i4

Of course, remembering to turn it on is another thing entirely :)

My guess is it cuts the torque in half....does that sound right?

RedonBlackRS 01-29-2018 05:13 PM

Snow/Ice mode starts auto cars in 2nd gear from a stop for reduced wheel torque and wheelspin and changes the shift schedule while in motion.

On both auto and manual cars, traction control and Stbillitrak are in their most sensitive states, likely pulling spark timing a bit.

vaspen 01-29-2018 07:30 PM

I believe it cuts throttle response by 60% pop it in snow mode and slowly give throttle until It cuts to normal
then do the same in sport and feel for that same torque feeling vs pedal travel

jaycee0919 01-30-2018 09:48 AM

Ahhhh thanks for the information guys - the handling is pretty impressive

tthobe 02-14-2018 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also completely amazed how good it handles in snow/ice setting. I've fitted mine with 18" winter rims & blizzaks (pic below), and combined with snow/ice mode I've had no issues at all. (And we've had some quite nasty snow around Toronto in the last few weeks.)
In addition to extra traction control sensitivity and starting in 2nd gear, I also believe it's cutting the boost from the turbo. In the worst (most slippery) weather I'm having the engine rev a bit more than normal (altered shift point?) but with no big torque push. Whatever it's doing it's working great, giving me excellent control & confidence.

Kudos Chevy!

dekes1 02-14-2018 12:43 PM

Old urban legends die hard. When RWD cars had 70% of their weight on the front wheels, they were terrible in the snow. The tire compounds were dramatically less adaptable, torque delivery was more on/off, etc. People don't realize that the nearly 50/50 weight distribution of the Alpha platform and all the modern technology advancements make thse RWD cars totally bearable in the winter.

Evil-Bee-NH 02-14-2018 03:18 PM

5th gen though a tank in weight was the same story modern RWD is actually better then most FWD in the snow now.

ChicagoTommy 02-16-2018 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskeyfed (Post 10057803)
I HATE people asking me “so how was the drive, must be tough in that car?” I tell them nope! It was actually awesome in the snow. Now, it’s no Brabus, but man this is truly a GREAT daily driver with some all seasons.

Tire choice plays a HUGE role in how the car handles inclement weather. I've not gotten stuck with the OEM 18 inch Goodyear All Seasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekes1 (Post 10076905)
Old urban legends die hard. When RWD cars had 70% of their weight on the front wheels, they were terrible in the snow. The tire compounds were dramatically less adaptable, torque delivery was more on/off, etc. People don't realize that the nearly 50/50 weight distribution of the Alpha platform and all the modern technology advancements make thse RWD cars totally bearable in the winter.

Yet another great reason! 4th Gen LT1's were a complete bitch to drive in the snow due to the monsterous torque down low in the rev range. It is significantly easier to drive an LS1 4th Gen in the snow since they made torque a couple thousand RPM higher!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 10077124)
5th gen though a tank in weight was the same story modern RWD is actually better then most FWD in the snow now.

Definitely wouldn't go that far... An FWD car will be able to get through deeper snow due to physics alone. Much easier to pull than push.

Evil-Bee-NH 02-16-2018 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy (Post 10078709)
Tire choice plays a HUGE role in how the car handles inclement weather. I've not gotten stuck with the OEM 18 inch Goodyear All Seasons.

Yet another great reason! 4th Gen LT1's were a complete bitch to drive in the snow due to the monsterous torque down low in the rev range. It is significantly easier to drive an LS1 4th Gen in the snow since they made torque a couple thousand RPM higher!

Definitely wouldn't go that far... An FWD car will be able to get through deeper snow due to physics alone. Much easier to pull than push.

Maybe in that respect alone but I'd much rather lose control in a RWD vehicle then FWD

MiBowtie 02-22-2018 11:04 AM

Hey guys, new here so first thank you for all the great info! I just got a 2017 Camaro 1 LT i4 with the RS package and was wondering how those run-flats work in the snow.