CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Great Lakes (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Schaumburg Dealer Taxes (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517421)

JohnE 01-01-2018 12:36 AM

Schaumburg Dealer Taxes

Just bought a new vehicle in Schaumburg at a Zeigler dealer Dec 30th. I just noticed on the bill of sale that they charged me a "City of Chicago Tax" and a "Cook County tax". These added about $1k extra in tax. I live in Gurnee (Lake County). Do Cook county dealers charge their high sales tax to all customers or is this probably an error?

I thought the sales tax was based on where you lived, not where you buy. Any help?

thanks. John

MP3BOOSTED 01-01-2018 03:47 AM

Where you buy your car at you get their taxes. Let’s say I went to Florida and I live in Texas to go buy a camaro, I’d get taxed Florida taxes when buying the camaro out there.

JohnE 01-01-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED (Post 10027894)
Where you buy your car at you get their taxes. Let’s say I went to Florida and I live in Texas to go buy a camaro, I’d get taxed Florida taxes when buying the camaro out there.

You are correct state to state. In my case, I live in Illinois already. Just a different county. Cook county and other super high tax counties make it so that no matter where in the state you purchase, you will get their tax. As far as I know, the same happens in the lower tax counties otherwise the Cook county dealerships lose a lot of business. Illinois is a horrible state btw.

Herewego 01-01-2018 02:42 PM

I also thought it was based on residency as well. I live in Lindenhurst up by you but I've always bought cars in lake county. I found this website with a quick grid and it looks like you have to pay 0.25% to 0.5% more if you buy in Cook Co.

http://salestaxoncars.com

I try not to buy anything in Cook county or Chicago...politicians there are thieves when it comes to taxes. I'm actually thinking of moving out of Illinois altogether just to escape the tax burden here.

Glen e 01-01-2018 03:07 PM

I bought a car in Ohio and live in Fort Lauderdale full time-one address. The dealer in Ohio charged me the exact amount of sales tax that i pay for anything bought in my residing county in Florida.

Cdflyer 01-01-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 10027869)
Just bought a new vehicle in Schaumburg at a Zeigler dealer Dec 30th. I just noticed on the bill of sale that they charged me a "City of Chicago Tax" and a "Cook County tax". These added about $1k extra in tax. I live in Gurnee (Lake County). Do Cook county dealers charge their high sales tax to all customers or is this probably an error?

I thought the sales tax was based on where you lived, not where you buy. Any help?

thanks. John

You got boned by coming down to my hometown. I’m waiting for the notice from Cook County for buying my truck in DuPage. Crook County is great at dipping their hands in everyone else’s pockets.

Dethsupp0rt 01-01-2018 09:20 PM

They screwed up. You should've only been taxed 7.25% and a $15 Cook County tax (for the sale of a new motor vehicle).

I bought a Jeep from Zeigler a few months ago . . . just double-checked and that's what they charged me, so it's probably an honest mistake. Go get some money back.

JohnE 01-02-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt (Post 10028625)
They screwed up. You should've only been taxed 7.25% and a $15 Cook County tax (for the sale of a new motor vehicle).

I bought a Jeep from Zeigler a few months ago . . . just double-checked and that's what they charged me, so it's probably an honest mistake. Go get some money back.

Thanks. Yeah. I also purchased from Zeigler. I'm gonna call them today.

I agree with some of the other posters. We are looking to leave Illinois also. The tax situation has gotten out of control.

init4fun 02-27-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

This is not correct. You pay taxes based on where you live. I bought my Camry at Carmax in Kenosha WI. I paid Cook County IL. tax.

Bought my Camaro in IN. Paid Cook Country IL. Tax.

wildchevy 04-30-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

not exactly true, I just bought a car in Il. and live in Wi. and I only paid Wi. taxes.

CamaroSue 04-30-2018 12:00 PM

I bought a car in WI and didn't pay any tax. When I registered the car in IL, then I paid the IL taxes (at the time Kane County was 7%). Yeah, they messed up. But I don't how "honest" of a mistake it was! I don't buy anything in Cook County!!!!! Although the state in general is out of control!!! :thumbdown:

flyinlow 05-08-2018 08:47 PM

The answer to these questions is.....it depends. In general, when you buy out of state, out of county, etc. you pay the taxes for where you reside. Generally, if you buy out of state, the dealer does not charge the sales tax, you pay it when you get home and register your car.

However, if you finance through the dealer you buy from, depending on the finance company, they may require the dealer to collect taxes at time of purchase at the local tax rate where the dealership is. When you go to register your car in your home state you will need to show proof that taxes were paid, and either make up the difference if the dealer tax rate was less than yours, or if it was more you will need to then fill out a form to collect that tax from the state where the dealer was. It all depends on the finance company, most likely large finance companies like Ally or GM Financial will do this, smaller companies typically won't.