CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   SS tends to shift rough (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560257)

Aviadtz 08-14-2019 09:42 AM

SS tends to shift rough

Hey,

So I got myself a 17' ss with the A8, haven't had a really big issue with it other than it sometimes jerking the car a little bit during lower speed shifts, usually from 1-2 or 3-4.

I was advised from my dealership to do the triple flush, yet I fear switching the transmission oil will cause the shuddering other people get, is that a possibility or nothing to be worried about?
Car has about 20k miles on it.

Silverado57 08-14-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviadtz (Post 10595932)
Hey,

So I got myself a 17' ss with the A8, haven't had a really big issue with it other than it sometimes jerking the car a little bit during lower speed shifts, usually from 1-2 or 3-4.

I was advised from my dealership to do the triple flush, yet I fear switching the transmission oil will cause the shuddering other people get, is that a possibility or nothing to be worried about?
Car has about 20k miles on it.

The new flush may fix it and will not cause the shudder.

njweatherman 08-14-2019 04:26 PM

The new flush will prevent you from getting the shudder down the road. I had the shudder recenty and the flush fixed it. However, I still have the rough 1-2 shift when the car is not warmed up yet.

Aviadtz 08-14-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njweatherman (Post 10596342)
The new flush will prevent you from getting the shudder down the road. I had the shudder recenty and the flush fixed it. However, I still have the rough 1-2 shift when the car is not warmed up yet.

And after it warms up, does it fade? Since mine sometimes has it also when up to temps.

JP2017SS 08-29-2019 08:16 PM

My car does this too, I had the flush 3k miles ago and it did fix the shutter. But the cold 1-2 shifts are really annoying me now. I’ve also noticed that even when the car is warm I’ll come to a stop sign and turn with light throttle then I will get this lagged hard shift that throws me forward. Doesn’t do it every time, but I’d say 25% of the time. Only way I’ve found to avoid these shifts is to shift manually but I feel like for what we paid we shouldn't have to put up with this. I’m going to schedule another visit to the dealer while I’m under warranty.

Aviadtz 08-30-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP2017SS (Post 10608938)
My car does this too, I had the flush 3k miles ago and it did fix the shutter. But the cold 1-2 shifts are really annoying me now. I’ve also noticed that even when the car is warm I’ll come to a stop sign and turn with light throttle then I will get this lagged hard shift that throws me forward. Doesn’t do it every time, but I’d say 25% of the time. Only way I’ve found to avoid these shifts is to shift manually but I feel like for what we paid we shouldn't have to put up with this. I’m going to schedule another visit to the dealer while I’m under warranty.

An update that might help:

I did the flush and it did help quite a but with the rough shifts but didn't smooth it out completely, what I did find out is that when I use the Range AFM disabler the rough shifting stops for 99% of the time, I got no clue if it's related or not, but it is like that from me so..

Just a heads up that might help!

JP2017SS 08-31-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviadtz (Post 10609588)
An update that might help:

I did the flush and it did help quite a but with the rough shifts but didn't smooth it out completely, what I did find out is that when I use the Range AFM disabler the rough shifting stops for 99% of the time, I got no clue if it's related or not, but it is like that from me so..

Just a heads up that might help!

Thanks! I’ve read about it but was a little hesitant to try it out. I think I’m gonna give it a shot now!

KingLT1 09-03-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP2017SS (Post 10608938)

I would have the Trans adapts reset(Fast learn reset). perhaps the dealer didn't do this after changing the fluid.

JP2017SS 09-10-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLT1 (Post 10611794)
I would have the Trans adapts reset(Fast learn reset). perhaps the dealer didn't do this after changing the fluid.

Thanks, yeah im taking the car in to the dealer in a couple days for the power steering recall fix and to address the shift issue. I will ask for the reset as well. The range device didnt help with the 1-2 shifts, but it did make the car feel a lot smoother overall. I'll put it back in after the visit to the dealer.

john703 09-16-2019 12:24 PM

The new transmission fluid didn't really help my harsh 1-2 shift, but interestingly, shift smoothness improved significantly after I installed a ported throttle body. Of course throttle response improved as well, so that's a mod I heartily recommend.