CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   SS 1LE OR 718 GT4?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579742)

TRZ06 08-05-2020 08:33 PM

SS 1LE OR 718 GT4??

Has anyone had seat time in both?

I don't think I have ever seen a comparison between the two. The performance numbers for both are very similar.

Bosse'sBoss 08-06-2020 12:35 AM

For the price and performance I prefer the SS1LE. For less than the price of the GT4 you could get a ZL1 that easily would beat the Cayman GT4.

Nothing compares to the great V8 sound:w00t:

oldman 08-06-2020 12:48 AM

My bro has a Boxster that he has gone from mild to turbo wild on. I would say it is going to be hard to compare a mid engine 9000 RPM ride, one that is just what men around the world dream about... to a Camaro. If I could swing it, it would be GT4. It is the difference between a trophy wife (my oldlady) and a supermodel. I luv the oldlady but she just ain't in the ballpark.
My bro is a pilot so when I'm over at his house I beat the snot out of his ride and leave it with no fuel. Just drive it like I stole it. It is a heck of a ride. Of course I don't let him drive the Camaro. Just saying.

Redlinez 08-06-2020 05:46 AM

That new Cayman GT4 is something else. I don't think anyone who could easily afford one would know a Camaro exists. 11.9 @ 120 from a flat 6 is impressive. Those cars are something special. I have read that they are a bit too rough to daily drive, so that brings in the ZL1 1LE as a comparison. I think the Cayman is a super well balanced car though, where the Camaro is a bit nose heavy.

m3bs 08-06-2020 07:15 AM

I recently spent a weekend riding and driving in a new GT4 up in the mountains of NC. After a 700 mile trip, I can say (thankfully) that the ride is nothing like a ZLE. It was still in break-in mode, so I didn’t really get to play with the good part of the power band. As such, I was really missing the torque of my ZLE. The 414 horses in the GT4 don’t want to come out and play at low speeds. When it comes to handling, the GT4 carves through corners with a very natural feel, where the ZLE pounds the corners into submission. As we were driving the Cherahola Skyway I found myself wishing I had the ZLE there for comparison, but I would not have enjoyed getting there on some of the secondary roads we took.

I could easily live with the GT4 as a daily driver, although both cars are compromised when it comes to usable cargo capacity. The price is what it is. In the Porsche’s favor is resale value. 2016 GT4s that sold new for $90-110K are still going for $80-95K, which makes no sense to me given the availability of the 718 version, which is a better car. What are the chances I will be able to sell my ZLE for 85% of MSRP in four years? I probably can’t even do that now.

RobbyBeefcake87 08-06-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10843216)
That new Cayman GT4 is something else. I don't think anyone who could easily afford one would know a Camaro exists. 11.9 @ 120 from a flat 6 is impressive. Those cars are something special. I have read that they are a bit too rough to daily drive, so that brings in the ZL1 1LE as a comparison. I think the Cayman is a super well balanced car though, where the Camaro is a bit nose heavy.

The new 2020 ones are a heck of an upgrade over the outgoing model. 11.9 out of an m6 at that power level is no joke.

ZRacerLE 08-06-2020 09:30 AM

Finally saw a gt4 in person the other day at MSRH. Car looks really cool. Owner says he loves driving it at the limit. I'd take that over a non GT3 or GT2 911 any day. I'd buy the SS1LE though, because like Randy Pobst says, "I'm cheap". :D

GuywithL86 08-06-2020 10:15 AM

By huge landslide victories
If I was buying a streetcar, gt4
Trackcar, camaro

The main problem with all manual boxsters and caymans is the gear ratios. There is no more enjoyable car to rip through some back roads and row through the gears, but it’s severely hampered by the fact that you never actually row through the gears because they are so damn long. This effects pretty much all boxsters and caymans.

Personally I’d go boxster spyder over gt4 because finally the boxster variant got all the gt4 stuff. It’s basically the same car with the ability to take the roof off in one of them.

If you aren’t aware of the boxster spyder, it does not look like a normal boxster so you won’t look like you bought the poor person porsche

GuywithL86 08-06-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10843216)

My dad bought a 2020 boxster spyder, he is not rich

You do not need to be rich to buy a gt4 or boxster spyder because it will cost a out as much to own as a loaded rav4, assuming you don’t DD it and rack up the miles of course.

There is very little depreciation

appleman22 08-06-2020 01:31 PM

hahah gt4 all day everyday not even a question. And FYI I love my 1/le. But go drive a gt4. You'll see

ST1LE 08-06-2020 01:40 PM

Odd comparison considering the massive price difference. A used GT4 is still twice the price of a new 1LE.

I am sure the GT4 is amazing, worth that much more money, I am not sure.

GuywithL86 08-06-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10843470)
Odd comparison considering the massive price difference. A used GT4 is still twice the price of a new 1LE.

I am sure the GT4 is amazing, worth that much more money, I am not sure.

There is nothing comes remotely close to the performance per dollar of the camaro and corvette. Like it’s been charted in lap times for the dollar and they are off on their own planet.

That being said, if you were going to buy an ss 1le and a gt4, and it was only your weekend car and you drove it minimally, and then you sold it 4 years later, your out of pocket expense would probably be similar.

TRZ06 08-06-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss (Post 10843187)
For the price and performance I prefer the SS1LE. For less than the price of the GT4 you could get a ZL1 that easily would beat the Cayman GT4.

Nothing compares to the great V8 sound:w00t:

But Mid-engine, light weight sports car.

I do love my SS 1LE and it is amazing (once you get the solid cradle bushings in the rear), but the lure SS 1LE performance out of a 3200lb mid-engine car is VERY appealing.

TRZ06 08-06-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuywithL86 (Post 10843339)
By huge landslide victories
If I was buying a streetcar, gt4
Trackcar, camaro

The main problem with all manual boxsters and caymans is the gear ratios. There is no more enjoyable car to rip through some back roads and row through the gears, but it’s severely hampered by the fact that you never actually row through the gears because they are so damn long. This effects pretty much all boxsters and caymans.

Personally I’d go boxster spyder over gt4 because finally the boxster variant got all the gt4 stuff. It’s basically the same car with the ability to take the roof off in one of them.

If you aren’t aware of the boxster spyder, it does not look like a normal boxster so you won’t look like you bought the poor person porsche

If I made the switch, it would be the PDK version, no question. They are out now. I haven't seen any reviews/tests on them yet, but they became available as an option a couple mths ago.