CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Why pay extra for navigation? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601218)

WiggyB 01-10-2022 05:28 PM

Why pay extra for navigation?

I was kind of bummed when I found out the car I scooped up didn't have navigation. Then I setup android auto and now I'm glad I didn't waste the extra $450. Honestly what's the point? For what I need it works perfectly and I can tap the mic button and speak the location and it finds it without issue and sets up the route perfectly.

For those still building please look into it because it works like a gem to me. Unless you just want the extra writing on the build sheet.

arpad_m 01-10-2022 05:40 PM

The Grand 2022 List of New Thread Topics that Should Be Outlawed

- Oil
- Camaro sales vs competitors
- Catch cans: yes or no
- GM Navigation vs Android Auto/CarPlay/Waze

:D

(as to what the point of factory nav is, there have been many threads about that already: it is integrated into the infotainment, the DIC and the HUD, which some, including yours truly, prefer—and I have wireless AA plus proper wireless charging in my car, so it isn't just idle talk)

WiggyB 01-10-2022 05:46 PM

You are probably right this would have been one of the one times I didn't search. Coming fresh out the car and using it it just jumped out my thoughts.

arpad_m 01-12-2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiggyB (Post 11118737)
You are probably right this would have been one of the one times I didn't search. Coming fresh out the car and using it it just jumped out my thoughts.

Totally understand, and I'm always happy to discuss these with open minded people, and I have no trouble accepting that some, like you, see the $450 as money down the drain. It's just that such threads tend to devolve into "you're a moron if you pay for factory nav when you can just use waze and google maps", "GM would have added a catch can if it were necessary, you're an idiot for messing up the engineers' design" etc. mud wars instead of giving consideration to each other's experience and preferences (sigh).

Vtor_ZL1 01-12-2022 10:33 PM

With AA and Maps option to see faster paths.. factory nav sits idle. BUT it's a good backup if for example .. you forget your phone, cable stops workings.. etc.

It's another things MANY people look for.. so when listing for sale "factory nav" - ticks a box.

evilstevie 02-10-2022 12:20 PM

In my case, I got the nav because I remembered how much I though AA sucked in my 2016 sierra, and it's just easy to hit a button and have a map up at all times regardless of cell signal. $450 on a 50k car is not something I even care about. Now the wirelss AA on the new camaro may be much better than the clunky wired version on my Sierra, but I didn't want to have to worry about it.

Joshinator99 02-10-2022 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 11118735)
- Oil
- Camaro sales vs competitors
- Catch cans: yes or no
- GM Navigation vs Android Auto/CarPlay/Waze

:D

(as to what the point of factory nav is, there have been many threads about that already: it is integrated into the infotainment, the DIC and the HUD, which some, including yours truly, prefer—and I have wireless AA plus proper wireless charging in my car, so it isn't just idle talk)

:word:

DarkKnyte 02-18-2022 01:06 PM

I wanted the navigation specifically because I've traveled in areas without cell reception and maps doesn't work without data unless your route is preplanned. Built-in navs do not depend on a data connection to work correctly.

The built in nav for my Jeep also displays upcoming turns on the dash, and I feel like the Camaro also does it on a specific mode of the HUD, but I haven't used it enough to be 100% certain. I know that the speed limit HUD signs are really useful, and I don't know that it works if you don't have nav. Either way, it doesn't display the turns on the dash/hud from phone nav.

Also, it's been my experience that as phones are updated, things like Carplay get less compatible over time. My '14 Jeep worked great with my iPhone 7, and okay with iPhone 10. Now it's laggy and not as reliable as it was. The built-in nav always works correctly.

Vtor_ZL1 02-18-2022 03:32 PM

Actually that is not true on most Android devices - you can pre-load a map (you define the area!) and keep it on the device for something like 45 to 60 days. it does eat up some storage space, but saves you for constant need for cell signal. Faster too - it auto refreshes when you get back into cell signal.

NYJets12 02-22-2022 05:19 PM

Here WeGo maps & Navigation is a good maps app for your phone, the best part is it’s free and it works offline it uses the gps on your phone no need for a cellphone signal. Plus if you want to you can download the whole planet on your phone or just one state if you want. And free updates. Also good if you use it as your walking if you’re on vacation.

ThirdGenNut 03-16-2022 10:44 PM

I dont get it either but there is a trend of this behavior.

$10 dollar vinal stickers over $300 painted hoods.
$4 black paint over shiny metal rims.
giant generic LEDs for $350 apiece when the $50 old bulb styles are waaay more interesting to look at.

Flame away.

BundiMan 04-03-2022 09:28 PM

The main advantage is that the apple and android apps don’t work in poor cell coverage areas like tail of the dragon. With built in Nav it uses real GPS and not cellular triangulation.

Vtor_ZL1 04-03-2022 10:04 PM

hum.. your phone use GPS. With offline maps.. you can even go to other countries - download maps ahead of time.