CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   Official Camaro 6 Winter wheel and/or tire thread! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510370)

Rudy@Tirerack 10-10-2017 05:05 PM

Official Camaro 6 Winter wheel and/or tire thread!

Hi Everyone,

I have had success on other forums doing one thread for everything winter regarding 6th Gen Camaros. Anything you want to ask regarding winter wheels and tires. I will keep an eye on the thread and add feedback but anyone can answer or ask a question. You are also welcome to post pictures of your winter wheels and tires for others to see. You can even post some action shots of you and your car in the snow.

Also feel free to contact me directly at Tire Rack to place an order or ask a question. 1-800-428-8355 EXT 4664 or rudy@tirerack.com

When ordering from Tire Rack please be sure to click on the link in the thread to make sure Camaro6 gets credit.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442564

May everyone have a safe and happy winter season!

i007spectre 10-12-2017 10:50 AM

Have some 17's I bought from you guys a couple years ago along with some winter tires used them one winter on my 2014 V6, then I bought my 16 SS. keep trying to find a buyer for them, since they don't do me any good.

Anyways the point of this comment is to say how a post similar to this one helped me out back then.

GP86 10-13-2017 10:27 AM

I have a set of 245/50R18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 Run Flat and 18" Sport Edition P5 wheels ready to be installed. I'm just waiting for the weather to stop going from 48F to 75F in a matter of hours. :der:

I got the $45/ea tire pressure sensors, although my car is an SS. My understanding is that they carry a lower speed rating than the more costly sensors. Otherwise, are they the same? Will I end up having issues getting these sensors to sync with the car? I do not anticipate that I need a high speed rating for the winter, so it does not make sense to spend double the price for the mandatory sensor if its only difference is the speed rating.

Rudy@Tirerack 10-13-2017 01:16 PM

It's my understanding the cheaper sensors will work fine just with the lower speed as you mentioned.:thumbup:

RXtacy 10-18-2017 12:06 PM

For someone in the mid-atlantic area (not a lot of snow) would you recommend a true winter tire (sottozero 3 for instance) or an all season for the winter? Looking for best handling during the winter while still being able to handle some snow. Would go back to summer tires in the spring.

Rudy@Tirerack 10-18-2017 01:19 PM

While either would work I prefer the performance winter tire option. The handle like ultra high performance all season tires with noticeably better winter traction. Like most things it's personal preference.

RXtacy 10-18-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack (Post 9944188)
While either would work I prefer the performance winter tire option. The handle like ultra high performance all season tires with noticeably better winter traction. Like most things it's personal preference.

That's the way I was leaning also. Thanks!

chriskon 10-19-2017 09:32 AM

I have a 2017 Camaro 2SS (no 6 piston upgrade) and am planning on driving it this winter. I am in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada so the winters definitely have snow. Need some guidance on where to go with wheels and tires. My dealer isn't listing anything for 18 inch wheel packages for my vehicle what should I do?

I've heard its better to go smaller/skinnier/more sidewall-ier (i know i know, not a mechanical person at all). What are your opinions? I'm lost and really want to be prepared not stressing last minute to prep my vehicle for the winter. All help and information much appreciated!

Rudy@Tirerack 10-23-2017 04:25 PM

I would recommend you purchase an 18 inch winter package from Tire Rack. I would recommend going with either a 235/50R18 or 245/50R18. Either size will work fine. Take a look at our 18 inch wheels and let me know if you have any questions.

chriskon 10-24-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack (Post 9950092)
I would recommend you purchase an 18 inch winter package from Tire Rack. I would recommend going with either a 235/50R18 or 245/50R18. Either size will work fine. Take a look at our 18 inch wheels and let me know if you have any questions.

Will that size fit my car? I'm quite sure I've read elsewhere here on the forums that others have had trouble fitting anything less than 20" wheels on their car... unless I'm thinking of something else. I also have the magneride suspension if that changes anything.

rorymick 10-24-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskon (Post 9945236)
I have a 2017 Camaro 2SS (no 6 piston upgrade) and am planning on driving it this winter. I am in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada so the winters definitely have snow. Need some guidance on where to go with wheels and tires. My dealer isn't listing anything for 18 inch wheel packages for my vehicle what should I do?

I've heard its better to go smaller/skinnier/more sidewall-ier (i know i know, not a mechanical person at all). What are your opinions? I'm lost and really want to be prepared not stressing last minute to prep my vehicle for the winter. All help and information much appreciated!

Fellow Canadian here. Originally from Toronto but lives in Alberta now. I use Nokian Hakka 8 studded tires on RS rims so 245/40/20 on all 4 corners.

Since studs are banned in southern Ontario I'd recommend Nokian R2 or Hakka 7's non studded.

Read some reviews on Nokians. Youll have a ton of confidence with them in the winter. I drove from Alberta to Ontario in December and back in February with mine and saw all kinds of horrible weather on the trip. No issues whatsoever.

Moyda23 10-24-2017 12:10 PM

How do you decide when to put on your winter tires?

chriskon 10-24-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rorymick (Post 9950696)
Fellow Canadian here. Originally from Toronto but lives in Alberta now. I use Nokian Hakka 8 studded tires on RS rims so 245/40/20 on all 4 corners.

Since studs are banned in southern Ontario I'd recommend Nokian R2 or Hakka 7's non studded.

Read some reviews on Nokians. Youll have a ton of confidence with them in the winter. I drove from Alberta to Ontario in December and back in February with mine and saw all kinds of horrible weather on the trip. No issues whatsoever.

Really liking the Nokian R2 reviews... seems good for life here in Canadian winter lol. Just need to find some wheels to mount them on. Trying to find a set of 18 inch rims and the proper sizing to fit them on my car, I'll try asking one of my more mechanically inclined friends for some advice on buying a set of wheels (bolt patterns, spacing etc).

Rudy@Tirerack 10-25-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moyda23 (Post 9951008)
How do you decide when to put on your winter tires?

As a General rule of thumb the middle of November thru the middle of April works well for most.