CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Solid Rear Cradle Bushings (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579516)

20Bluezl1 08-01-2020 10:44 AM

Solid Rear Cradle Bushings

So I'm interested in changing out my rubber bushing for the 1le solid bushing. But im been reading that most people pay to have them changed out. I have read some DIY post but not to much info.

I'm wondering if you need to press the new bushing on with a press or do they just pop in?

Do I need to drop the cradle to install them? I seen people heat up the metel to soften the glue but is that safe on the metel?

Can it be done with a quick jack and not a full lift?

driven2exceSS 08-01-2020 11:35 AM

If I may? I too am interested ...Has anyone done ZLE/Chevy Performance solids on a convertible yet??? Or might know if the cradle bushings across all Gen6 production lines are universal/standard? Thanks!

JonDaddy82 08-01-2020 12:09 PM

I did the BMR Lockout kit, waaaaay easier install than the ZLE solid bushings.

20Bluezl1 08-01-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 (Post 10840313)
I did the BMR Lockout kit, waaaaay easier install than the ZLE solid bushings.

I was reading on that but I read that the ZLE solid is the way to go for the extra money but they are harder to install.

20Bluezl1 08-01-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driven2exceSS (Post 10840284)
If I may? I too am interested ...Has anyone done ZLE/Chevy Performance solids on a convertible yet??? Or might know if the cradle bushings across all Gen6 production lines are universal/standard? Thanks!

I believe they are the same its just you havr an extra support that has to be removed. But maybe someone has done it to a convertible already that can chime in.

20Bluezl1 08-01-2020 12:31 PM

I just placed an order with gmperformancemotor.com. they where the cheapest I found with free shipping came out to $374.

driven2exceSS 08-01-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 (Post 10840321)
I believe they are the same its just you havr an extra support that has to be removed. But maybe someone has done it to a convertible already that can chime in.

Yeah was hoping. There's a couple drag verts that may of done it already, and there's usually quite a few knowledgeable members that have resources to confirm the unique fitment too. ;)

20Bluezl1 08-01-2020 12:59 PM

I'm also thinking in doing a full bmr suspension upgrade snice you have to pretty much loosing all suspension bolts to do the cradle kit.

mblum 08-01-2020 01:51 PM

I've done the BMR lock out kit, pretty easy to do. The only bolts you need to take loose are the cradle bolts. I'm happy with the results on the road course, which was my main reason for doing the mod. On the street it's noticeable but not as much as when the car is at the limits.

I chose the BMR lock out kit mainly because its an easy install and doesn't require pressing out the original bushings and the new ones.

20Bluezl1 08-01-2020 02:35 PM

Those who have done the ZLE bushing how did you guys press them in?

CW3SF 08-01-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mblum (Post 10840361)
I've done the BMR lock out kit, pretty easy to do. The only bolts you need to take loose are the cradle bolts. I'm happy with the results on the road course, which was my main reason for doing the mod. On the street it's noticeable but not as much as when the car is at the limits.

I chose the BMR lock out kit mainly because its an easy install and doesn't require pressing out the original bushings and the new ones.

Can you provide a link to the kit you bought and installed? Thx

SCCAForums 08-01-2020 03:40 PM

I just did the ZLE solid bushing install.

There is a good post somewhere in here if you search, that shows a fairly simple remove and install process. Took us an afternoon.

Single best mod you can do imo.

Best Regards,
Dave

GAOLDGUY 08-01-2020 04:17 PM

I think I remember a post from a guy that did solid bushings and in the process of the installation, he didn't replace a bolt because he did not realize it was torque to yield. It ended up braking and caused some real problems. My only point is to make you aware so you don't repeat the same mistake. I'm interested in any improvement provided by this mod as well.

20Bluezl1 08-01-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY (Post 10840420)
I think I remember a post from a guy that did solid bushings and in the process of the installation, he didn't replace a bolt because he did not realize it was torque to yield. It ended up braking and caused some real problems. My only point is to make you aware so you don't repeat the same mistake. I'm interested in any improvement provided by this mod as well.

The kit i purchased comes with all the bolts to replace, also the reason why i think im going to change to bmr suspension parts.

Just realized while writing this. If the bolts are torque to yield and I install all the components. Then I take it for alignment, does that mean I have to replace bolts again? :bonk: