CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Perhaps a dumb question but.... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563003)

skywrench 10-02-2019 09:57 AM

Perhaps a dumb question but....

Like the title said, maybe a dumb question but one I'll ask. I'm sitting here in Minnesota preparing to park my Camaro for the winter which will suck. My question is can you guys out there drive your cars year round? I know it doesn't snow much but when it does do they salt the roads? I have a '17 Silverado with so much frame rust you'd think it's been through a dozen winters here. So I'd never let the Camaro see salt on the road.
I was thinking about transferring to Seattle and I'm looking for information.
Thanks!

eimarshall 10-07-2019 03:22 PM

No they tend not to salt the roads out here. they gravel them instead, so be prepared for a new windshield more often. That said, Seattle sees snow maybe twice a year. so if you are staying in the general metro area, you really don't need to worry. If you are heading over the pass to Eastern WA, then you'll run into significantly worse conditions.

skywrench 10-08-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eimarshall (Post 10635479)
No they tend not to salt the roads out here. they gravel them instead, so be prepared for a new windshield more often. That said, Seattle sees snow maybe twice a year. so if you are staying in the general metro area, you really don't need to worry. If you are heading over the pass to Eastern WA, then you'll run into significantly worse conditions.

Thanks for the info.

NWFifty 10-08-2019 09:44 AM

Yeah no salt around here. I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula side and they use chemical deicer in the evening to prevent freezing overnight, and sand if needed on hills for snow. I drove Camaro the past 2 winters on severe winter tires and did fine. When we had so much my wife stayed home, then I took her AWD. This winter I have a 99 Civic I picked up as a commuter. Trying to keep the miles down on the Camaro.

Mike

skywrench 10-12-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWFifty (Post 10635920)
Yeah no salt around here. I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula side and they use chemical deicer in the evening to prevent freezing overnight, and sand if needed on hills for snow. I drove Camaro the past 2 winters on severe winter tires and did fine. When we had so much my wife stayed home, then I took her AWD. This winter I have a 99 Civic I picked up as a commuter. Trying to keep the miles down on the Camaro.

Mike

Good to know. I haven't driven my Camaro in a week, it's snowing here today. I should be able to drive it a few days this week I hope if the weatherman is correct.

Camaro_QC 10-13-2019 08:26 AM

Lots of snow here in Quebec. Lots of salt, lots of rocks, lots of everything.

If you don't do an anti-rust oil treatment, your car will start to rust like hell.

If you want to keep your car clean and dirt free, don't do the treatment. And by not doing it, store your car for the winter time.

Even if the snow melts, there will still be salt on the road. It needs a good rain to wash it off.