CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   MOST50 Alternative (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535567)

headgamez 08-04-2018 08:55 AM

MOST50 Alternative

Might be useful....

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro...faces/ap4-gm61

HG

MANNAXMAN 08-07-2018 10:03 AM

This looks like a more affordable alternative to the NAV-TV M650-GM. No release date yet, per their Facebook page. I'll be keeping an eye out for the release and feedback from actual installations.

JaxChris 08-08-2018 04:31 PM

Looks like the distributor price on this unit is under 170$, online wholesalers are probably going to price it around 200-220$. I think NAV-TV may need to discount heavily very soon if they want to move volume before the competition arrives. Though at a 50% MSRP difference, any advertising PAC/AAMP gets now will just put the freeze on potential buyers.

MANNAXMAN 08-09-2018 09:52 AM

I just did a Google search for "AP4-GM61" and found a thread on the DIYMobileAudio forum. At least two people have ordered the unit. Info on the first install might be posted on this forum.

drfeelgood 08-09-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxChris (Post 10276679)
Looks like the distributor price on this unit is under 170$, online wholesalers are probably going to price it around 200-220$. I think NAV-TV may need to discount heavily very soon if they want to move volume before the competition arrives. Though at a 50% MSRP difference, any advertising PAC/AAMP gets now will just put the freeze on potential buyers.

Nothing wrong with competition. I anticipate a lot of bugs early on, then with a few firmware updates, it should be good to go. The Nav-TV unit is great, but it isn't perfect. And I agree, they may have to bring their price down just a little.

For those that want the highest possible sound quality, there is an optional TOSLINK output for the PAC unit, which I imagine may increase the price another $100 or so. Still better than the NAVTV price.

JaxChris 08-09-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfeelgood (Post 10277470)
Nothing wrong with competition. I anticipate a lot of bugs early on, then with a few firmware updates, it should be good to go. The Nav-TV unit is great, but it isn't perfect. And I agree, they may have to bring their price down just a little.

For those that want the highest possible sound quality, there is an optional TOSLINK output for the PAC unit, which I imagine may increase the price another $100 or so. Still better than the NAVTV price.

The output for TOSlink and remote sub control is included/built-in, but the the cables are not included (which they aren't on the NAV.tv unit either).

I'm curious where NAV.tv buyers mounted their unit in/under the dash, since both products come with a relatively short T-harness.

headgamez 08-10-2018 12:27 PM

I am hoping to hear some real world experience with the PAC unit. In the market once the car gets here.

CyberGuyPR 08-10-2018 04:16 PM

Fantastic. Subscribing to keep an eye on this.

drfeelgood 08-11-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxChris (Post 10277933)
The output for TOSlink and remote sub control is included/built-in, but the the cables are not included (which they aren't on the NAV.tv unit either).

I'm curious where NAV.tv buyers mounted their unit in/under the dash, since both products come with a relatively short T-harness.

Yes, you're right, I misread that part. That makes it an even better deal.

My Nav-TV unit is mounted underneath the carpet, driver's side dash

JaxChris 08-12-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfeelgood (Post 10279846)
My Nav-TV unit is mounted underneath the carpet, driver's side dash

Under the carpet? Isn't the NAT-TV unit passively cooled with an aluminum heatsink shell? Not allowing free airspace around it would make it get pretty hot on extended drives. If you don't mind, are you able to put your hand on the unit after driving for an hour (or at least feel the carpet directly above it compared to carpet at least 1ft away). Similar to mounting an amplifier.

drfeelgood 08-13-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxChris (Post 10280686)
Under the carpet? Isn't the NAT-TV unit passively cooled with an aluminum heatsink shell? Not allowing free airspace around it would make it get pretty hot on extended drives. If you don't mind, are you able to put your hand on the unit after driving for an hour (or at least feel the carpet directly above it compared to carpet at least 1ft away). Similar to mounting an amplifier.

I have never had an issue with the unit overheating. I will take a pic of exactly where it is next time i am under there.

MANNAXMAN 08-27-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN (Post 10277329)
I just did a Google search for "AP4-GM61" and found a thread on the DIYMobileAudio forum. At least two people have ordered the unit. Info on the first install might be posted on this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by headgamez (Post 10278716)
I am hoping to hear some real world experience with the PAC unit. In the market once the car gets here.

The AP4-GM61 has been installed on a 2018 Volt. Not a lot of details, but the poster says, "If you have a Chevy with a MOST-50 radio, don't even think about it, get it."

JoeCarSeller 10-06-2018 07:31 PM

Has anyone tried this on yet in the Camaro?

lDejavul 10-08-2018 07:58 AM

Just ordered one. Ill let you know when it comes in. I can't wait. Was watching NAV-TV one but that is a crazy price to pay. This is more inline with what I was willing to pay. Ordered from E&B electronics on amazon.