CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Flashing check engine light (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563583)

Brandonc_06 10-13-2019 11:38 AM

Flashing check engine light

So yesterday I put my 6 speed in 2nd gear about 3k rpm and i floored it to about 5k. All of a sudden I had a flashing check engine light and my stabilitrak and rev match turned off. My car wanted to stall at the red light i had to give it gas. When i took off my exhaust sounded not smooth at all. Everything went normal after a minute. The only thing different from today is that there is a cold front. It was 60 degrees today. I live in texas and its been 80+ since since i got the car. I have e85 cold start was alittle rough from cold. Anybody have any reason why this occurred?

Gunkk 10-13-2019 02:54 PM

Did you pull any codes?

Flashing CEL is usually a sign of "misfire in progress"... so if it didn't set the CEL to steady-on and the car is running fine now, then don't worry about it.

Jeb114 10-13-2019 03:40 PM

What's it mean when your check engine light is flashing?
A blinking light usually indicates a severe engine misfire allowing un-burned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust system. There it can quickly raise the temperature of the catalytic converter to a point where damage is likely, requiring an expensive repair. I would let the dealer check it.

Wilka_SS 10-13-2019 04:06 PM

Pull codes, what other mods are done to the car? Usually indicates a misfire when the cel is flashing and car running as you stated.

NYJets12 10-13-2019 06:13 PM

Push the onstar button if you have it they’ll tell you what’s wrong

Brandonc_06 10-13-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeb114 (Post 10639554)
What's it mean when your check engine light is flashing?
A blinking light usually indicates a severe engine misfire allowing un-burned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust system. There it can quickly raise the temperature of the catalytic converter to a point where damage is likely, requiring an expensive repair. I would let the dealer check it.

I dont have cats

TJay74 10-14-2019 04:18 PM

If it was a random misfire it will have code P0300 stored, if the misfire was detected on a certain cylinder it will store P0301 (cylinder 1), P0302 (cylinder 2) and so on. Once you know the cylinder you can look to see if it was a plug wire, plug, coil, injector or a bad valve or push rod.

joeyazzata29 05-03-2021 02:38 PM

What ended up happening with this?

ripsaw987 05-06-2021 03:14 AM

Stabilitrak (Solid) + Check Engine Light (Flashing) + Car Shuddering

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I own a 2017 1LT Manual Camaro.

Two days ago I was driving and downshifted from 4th to 3rd gear, after downshifting the car started shuddering significantly and the Traction Control System (TCS)/StabiliTrak® Light came on and stayed on (SOLID), the Check Engine Light came on and began flashing. The message "Service Stabilitrak" showed up on my dash.

Power to the car was reduced significantly and I was fortunate to be less than 2 kilometers from my local dealer.

I limped the car to the dealer and turned off the car when I got there. After speaking with the technicians, they advised me to come back in the morning if the issue persisted.

The car was turned on and both lights went back on. I spoke to the tech and left the car for service.

The dealer fixed the car the next day.

This is the information they provided which I am sharing so others can resolve this issue when it occurs.

"DTC P0300 SET.
MISFIRE COUNTS ON CYCLINDER #1. NO SPARK. SWAPPED COIL AND PLUG TO KNOW GOOD CYCLINDERS.
MISFIRE FOLLOWED COIL TO CYCLINDER #2.
PROVIDED QUOTE TO REPLACE THE COIL. RECOMMEND ENGINE TUNE-UP.
REPLACED THE COIL. OK NOW.
"

The car ran like new after this work was done. In retrospect the misfires were happening for quite sometime, however I thought it was just my driving skills diminishing.

I hope this helps other people who get into the same situation. With this information you can probably save money and replace the coil pack yourself if you pull the same code.

Also the work was not covered under any warranty.