CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Top Tier Gasoline Question (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515452)

Steve2150 12-06-2017 06:39 AM

Top Tier Gasoline Question

First I do use only Top Tier Gas in my 2016 SS, mainly Shell. I know GM and most manufacturers recommend it to keep the valves clean. But since we have Direct Injection motors the raw gas never comes in contact with the top of the intake valves. So basically what is the benefits of it. I can understand it for the 2018 Mustang as they added a port injector so the raw gas goes on the top of the intake valves to aid in cleaning as well as direct injection.

SSDan 12-06-2017 06:50 AM

Good question about DI and the valves - not sure I have an answer for that.

I go with top tier because I can get it at Costco at the cheapest price in town. I figure - why not - I'm not paying more and who wouldn't want the cleanest, best formulated fuel when it is easily available - direct injections or not.

soceur77 12-06-2017 07:27 AM

good question, and also answers my question of why a engine with 1000mi on it had valves looking like there was no cleaning by fuel additives at all.

00 Trans Ram 12-06-2017 10:44 AM

Here's the thing with "gas". And, this information is from a Sunoco engineer that supplied gas to Indycar at the NOLA Motorsports race back in 15.

Almost all "gas" is the same. Think about it - how many companies in the world drill, refine, then distribute gasoline? A half-dozen or so. And the refining process is identical for all of them. Moreover, they often receive their crude from the same places. In other words, the gas you get from Shell and the gas you get from Exxon may have originated from the same well in the Gulf of Mexico.

What makes gas different are the additives that are put into it. The most important of those additives are things to keep valves clean and valve seals lubricated. But, as stated, those additives don't help direct-injected cars. So, for us, the only real differentiators are corrosion inhibitors, emulsifiers, and some other things. And, these things don't play a huge roll in the quality of the gas.

So, we should just buy gas from anywhere, right? Well, not so fast. If you could pump gas directly from the supply truck, then yes. But, you're pumping from a tank in the ground. That brings up 2 problems.

First, how good is that tank? Does it keep water out? Is it airtight (keeps volatiles from evaporating)? The newer a tank is, the better for both of these (and some other) variables.

Second, how long has the gas been sitting in that tank? The long gas sits, the more water van be absorbed (humidity, condensation, etc.). And, the more likely that the volatiles will evaporate.

So, what you want to look for is the gas station that A) has the newest tanks (usually, also the gas station that LOOKS the newest or was built most recently) and, B) has the highest volume (gas is replaced often).

For me, that means going to Sam's Club. They just replaced all of their tanks a few years ago. And, I talked with an attendant (just ask, they usually know) and he said that they get 2 tankers every 3 days (roughly 1 tanker every 1.5 days). This means they are going through gas FAST.

Outahand 12-06-2017 11:06 AM

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Looking at this link makes you think all gas is top tier. But it is not all labeled as such.

Another Costco gas user here. States top tier right on the pump. They go through a lot of fuel and I trust Costco to keep things maintained and filters changed ect.

born-to-fish- 12-06-2017 11:11 AM

Only Chevron Supreme Plus (94 Octane) for me, at $1.50/L

ninetres 12-06-2017 11:12 AM

The long lines at my local Costco’s don’t justify the savings. For me personally haha. I’m too impatient.

I use shell/76/chevron and Don’t really overthink it. I’ll keep driving. If there is a tanker actively filling at a station, and as I assume it can agitate any sentiment in the bottom of the tank.

brettman 12-06-2017 11:13 AM

I fill-up (Sunoco 93) and store, never had a problem.....years.

wavsine 12-06-2017 11:14 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/21/...ier-gas-video/

jaysonstuart 12-06-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram (Post 10000389)
Here's the thing with "gas". And, this information is from a Sunoco engineer that supplied gas to Indycar at the NOLA Motorsports race back in 15.

Almost all "gas" is the same. Think about it - how many companies in the world drill, refine, then distribute gasoline? A half-dozen or so. And the refining process is identical for all of them. Moreover, they often receive their crude from the same places. In other words, the gas you get from Shell and the gas you get from Exxon may have originated from the same well in the Gulf of Mexico.

What makes gas different are the additives that are put into it. The most important of those additives are things to keep valves clean and valve seals lubricated. But, as stated, those additives don't help direct-injected cars. So, for us, the only real differentiators are corrosion inhibitors, emulsifiers, and some other things. And, these things don't play a huge roll in the quality of the gas.

So, we should just buy gas from anywhere, right? Well, not so fast. If you could pump gas directly from the supply truck, then yes. But, you're pumping from a tank in the ground. That brings up 2 problems.

First, how good is that tank? Does it keep water out? Is it airtight (keeps volatiles from evaporating)? The newer a tank is, the better for both of these (and some other) variables.

Second, how long has the gas been sitting in that tank? The long gas sits, the more water van be absorbed (humidity, condensation, etc.). And, the more likely that the volatiles will evaporate.

So, what you want to look for is the gas station that A) has the newest tanks (usually, also the gas station that LOOKS the newest or was built most recently) and, B) has the highest volume (gas is replaced often).

For me, that means going to Sam's Club. They just replaced all of their tanks a few years ago. And, I talked with an attendant (just ask, they usually know) and he said that they get 2 tankers every 3 days (roughly 1 tanker every 1.5 days). This means they are going through gas FAST.

What he said pretty much sums it up. I've been a Petroleum Technician for almost 20 years now and it's all about the handling of the fuel after it's left the truck.

Stick with sites that maintain their equipment and have newer pumps to ensure you're getting the best quality fuel.

Some of these stations have older shit pumps, they never change filters (yes there are filters underneath the pumps, they look like an oil filter for a car) and they have hoses that are frayed and nozzles that are falling apart.

Stay away from these clowns. They don't care about the quality of fuel you're receiving, all they want is your money.

I can also almost guarantee you they have water in the spill buckets where the fills for the tanks are located and it's not hard for water to enter the tanks from that bucket. A site that is maintained and does it's daily inspections you will never find water in those buckets.

And as he said above, stick with high volume sites they more often that not take care of their shit and change filters often to keep the gallons per minute up to spec.

mcintyre1969 12-06-2017 12:27 PM

Was the original question ever answered? Is the top tier needed in our cars?

ZED SLED 12-06-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 (Post 10000512)

The answer to that is in the owner's manual. Believe it's recommended. I use Sunoco when I can. No Shell, no Exxon, no Chevron, Philips, 76, or Texaco. Sometimes use Gulf as it's less than a mile from me and more convenient at times. Not Toptier, but maybe that's because they don't feel it's necessary to get raped for the certification? Never had a problem with using it.

VQ35DE 12-06-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 (Post 10000512)

Yes. GM says so.

Whipple Charged 12-06-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outahand (Post 10000420)
http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Looking at this link makes you think all gas is top tier. But it is not all labeled as such.

Another Costco gas user here. States top tier right on the pump. They go through a lot of fuel and I trust Costco to keep things maintained and filters changed ect.

As one that pushes the limits on nearly every motor, I can tell you with 100% confidence those additives are very different. We only recommend true top tier gas which is Shell, Unocal, Chevron, Sunoco, Mobil and the big names. I can tell you, Costco gas will not react anything like any of the others listed. The difference in detonation is severe, Costco 91 vs Chevron 91, back to back was a difference of 4 degree's of spark, which resulted in 40+ RWHP. We've tested many others in real world and its very important when modified. If your stock, its not as critical.