CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Track tires for 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568661)

artey34 01-21-2020 09:48 AM

Track tires for 1LE

I have a SS 1LE but purchased a stock set of OEM ZL1 1LE rims and GY3Rs. I plan to run the HP manual track alignment with 3mm spacers so these clear the strut. Id rather not grind the struts down at this time.
What would be a good tire to replace the 3Rs with? These are HPDE and some AutoX only, but looking for longer tread life. Maybe just the GY3s?
Thanks!

Lafourche1 01-21-2020 11:42 AM

The GY SC3s are a very good tire. If you do as aggressive alignment as you are stating, you will cause some cupping at the edges. That will reverberate in the interior when just cruising. The SC3Rs are a better track tire but will wear more quickly and not be very easy to drive on the street (rain and cold are a big no - no. Cold is not good for the SC3s, but they can handle a little water with a bit of caution on your side.

I think you may want to consider a second set of wheels. Mount your track tires when you do your track alignment. Mount your street tires when you return to street alignment.

I think Mike Lee or Joe Wyndham have done some trial and error on their ZLEs and may have better insight. Might reach out to them via private message.

artey34 01-21-2020 12:53 PM

Yes as I stated, these are only for HPDE and some AutoX driving. Otherwise, I am running the OEM SS 1LE wheels on the street.

This is just for the OEM ZL1 1LE wheels, on an SS1LE for track only duty

NickyRacerBoy 01-23-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artey34 (Post 10705189)
I have a SS 1LE but purchased a stock set of OEM ZL1 1LE rims and GY3Rs. I plan to run the HP manual track alignment with 3mm spacers so these clear the strut. Id rather not grind the struts down at this time.
What would be a good tire to replace the 3Rs with? These are HPDE and some AutoX only, but looking for longer tread life. Maybe just the GY3s?
Thanks!

I understand you would rather not grind strut but once its done you"ll forget about it the next day.

glamcem 01-24-2020 02:41 AM

It looks like your best option is 305-325/30/19 Toyo R888Rs as you're looking for OEM ZLE replacement tires that last longer and can be used for track use also. I personally wouldn't want to stretch a 305 tires on 12" wheels unless the tires run extremely wide (like some R7 fitments) They will definitely last longer but slightly slower than those 3Rs

TheRealJA105 01-24-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy (Post 10706831)
I understand you would rather not grind strut but once its done you"ll forget about it the next day.

Agreed, the strut grind is very easy. Go slow, do it clean, and add some black paint and no dealer will ever know anyways.

TrackClub 01-24-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy (Post 10706831)

Nicky Bobby is right: if you dont do the strut mod to run 2.5+ F camber, you will wear out the outside shoulders fast and *also* you will have a diminished contact patch and less grip. So running the 19 rims won't achieve any good purpose here and to the contrary, it will be counter productive to your finances *and* performance.

So id suggest you have a decision to make:

1. Do the strut mod, max the camber on stock bolts to 2.5-2.6, get longer studs and thicker spacer, etc. Then you can decide how fast a tire you wanna run and how much money you wanna spend on rubber. If very good, but not ultimate pace is ok, then you could simply run G3s and put a harder compound on your stock rims for DD. This would be the best blend of performance to cost imo. But if course if you want to spend more, other choices are readily available. Or:

2. If you dont want to grind the strut, sell the 19s and run the car with stock rims, but max the front camber per the above (with zero necessary mods to anything). G3 tire is VERY good and priced VERY well and you could also run RE71R in 295/30/20 square for a bit more $, which is still great for DD and track, but would also give you an extra edge at autox (as they warm up super fast). Heck, you could even try G3Rs as they come in SS 1LE sizes as well (but that's more $ and much shorter longevity).

Cheers!

carguy55 01-24-2020 10:09 AM

you could just use the new GY SC3 19" which come in the right size.

artey34 01-24-2020 01:08 PM

Hmm so grind struts and use ZL1 1LE rims on the GY3Rs and use the SS 1LEs as DD. Or, sell the ZL1 1LE rims, and use the SS 1LE rims for street and track and stay stock. Decisions decisions!

TrackClub 01-24-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artey34 (Post 10707962)
Hmm so grind struts and use ZL1 1LE rims on the GY3Rs and use the SS 1LEs as DD. Or, sell the ZL1 1LE rims, and use the SS 1LE rims for street and track and stay stock. Decisions decisions!

Per the above, you could also put G3s (non R) on 19 rims in 305/325 sizes. But 19s require grinding. Depending where you are with the track hobby, going stock is still super fast as an option.