CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZL1 Mods???? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597418)

Xxlblackzl 09-17-2021 11:26 AM

ZL1 Mods????

Wassup everybody, I’ve been looking at zl1’s & ready to get one & I know I wanna mod it. I’m just not sure exactly what I want & how to achieve my goals of what I wanna get out from this car. This is some of the things I’m thinkin about (some of em Im sold on). I really want mods that will produce the most hp gains, but I dont wanna do anything too crazy, mainly bolt on type of mods. (Willing to tune, thats cool since I kno its mandatory for some mods. Please provide insight & good advice. I want a good build that LOOKS relatively stock, but I want increase of 75-150hp & relatively same for tq. I also seen people mention ported blowers & ported throttle body??? Can somebody tell me the main benefits of those mods, and also if spark plugs are good performance/power mods?? Anyway here’s the list of current mods on my radar. Also want good power increase while maintaining traction on normal sport michellins or pirellis. (NO SLICKS LOL). Dont really wanna use ethanol either, 93 is available near me

Rotofab intake
(Maybe) Kooks long tube headers (sound is cool, but prefer power, dont want drone, or cammed type of sound. Or should I do full system?)
Pulley?? (I think lower pulley from what I’ve seen… again not sure. I seen cleetusmcfarland’s video of serious gains from just a pulley).

Im a newbie in car mods, so some of the stuff I dont understand Lol so can you guys "dumb it down" a little bit. I kno basics, but some things I dont know at all, or know the benefit (benefit contributes to whether I'd be interested or not).

Other than those I’m not sure what else to do, or if there is much else for what Im looking for. All advice welcom, thank u camaro fam��

AZIROC 09-17-2021 02:39 PM

My zl1 is still relatively stock still *just a rotofab and S-type axle back* mostly cause its still under warrant until the end of Nov. I want to lightly mod mine when the warranty is over, but I dont want to go "all in" trying to break some HP record or anything like that. Like you, im good for right around another 100 or so HP/TQ and im good.

For me, the biggest "issue" is tuning. Well, more like trying to avoid having to grt multiple tunes for mods. Plus some mods require "supporting" mods. IE, could you go to a 2.3 pulley, sure. But it would be better if you had a full exhaust done. Then, are you wanting to port the blower or not.

Ive just been slowly saving up to do everything at once. I'll send the blower off to get ported and have the shop Install the exhaust in the mean time. Then get the blower back and have it installed with the 2.3 pulley with the 103tb and big gulp cai.

COULD you do JUST a pulley swap and tune first...sure. just like you could do a full exhaust first with a tune and then later grt the pulley put on. there is no right or wrong way to do it, but usually full exhaust work should be done reguardless.

AZIROC 09-17-2021 03:04 PM

Oh, and you may want to at a catch can to your list.

IneedAZ 09-17-2021 03:58 PM

Not sure if I missed it, but what budget for mods? Flex fuel, CAI, and tune will get u there. Add a pulley to get closer to the higher number in your goal.

Xxlblackzl 09-17-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZIROC (Post 11072341)
My zl1 is still relatively stock still *just a rotofab and S-type axle back* mostly cause its still under warrant until the end of Nov. I want to lightly mod mine when the warranty is over, but I dont want to go "all in" trying to break some HP record or anything like that. Like you, im good for right around another 100 or so HP/TQ and im good.

For me, the biggest "issue" is tuning. Well, more like trying to avoid having to grt multiple tunes for mods. Plus some mods require "supporting" mods. IE, could you go to a 2.3 pulley, sure. But it would be better if you had a full exhaust done. Then, are you wanting to port the blower or not.

Ive just been slowly saving up to do everything at once. I'll send the blower off to get ported and have the shop Install the exhaust in the mean time. Then get the blower back and have it installed with the 2.3 pulley with the 103tb and big gulp cai.

COULD you do JUST a pulley swap and tune first...sure. just like you could do a full exhaust first with a tune and then later grt the pulley put on. there is no right or wrong way to do it, but usually full exhaust work should be done reguardless.

What’s grt? New to forums Lol

Xxlblackzl 09-17-2021 07:04 PM

Any benefits to catch can besides decreasing build up?

Xxlblackzl 09-17-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IneedAZ (Post 11072394)
Not sure if I missed it, but what budget for mods? Flex fuel, CAI, and tune will get u there. Add a pulley to get closer to the higher number in your goal.

Flex fuel? And no real budget total, but I dont wanna spend more than 1500 at a time per mod (excluding exhaust & labor for all mods)

AZIROC 09-17-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxlblackzl (Post 11072449)
What’s grt? New to forums Lol

grt is me sucking at typing. Should be get. :fear:

BlaqWhole 09-17-2021 07:14 PM

LT, cai, tune. That's about it for the basic bolt-ons.

Personally I would not pulley the stock blower nor would I bother with porting it. If you want more in the way of boost then I recommend going straight to the 2650. That way you will have much more potential in the future when you decide to mod even more (cam, ported heads, etc).

Camaro1973 09-17-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxlblackzl (Post 11072453)
Any benefits to catch can besides decreasing build up?

This is exactly what a catch can does. Also helps with crankcase ventilation.

Camaro1973 09-17-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxlblackzl (Post 11072242)
Wassup everybody, I’ve been looking at zl1’s & ready to get one & I know I wanna mod it. I’m just not sure exactly what I want & how to achieve my goals of what I wanna get out from this car. This is some of the things I’m thinkin about (some of em Im sold on). I really want mods that will produce the most hp gains, but I dont wanna do anything too crazy, mainly bolt on type of mods. (Willing to tune, thats cool since I kno its mandatory for some mods. Please provide insight & good advice. I want a good build that LOOKS relatively stock, but I want increase of 75-150hp & relatively same for tq. I also seen people mention ported blowers & ported throttle body??? Can somebody tell me the main benefits of those mods, and also if spark plugs are good performance/power mods?? Anyway here’s the list of current mods on my radar

Rotofab intake
(Maybe) Kooks long tube headers (sound is cool, but prefer power, dont want drone, or cammed type of sound. Or should I do full system?)
Pulley?? (I think lower pulley from what I’ve seen… again not sure. I seen cleetusmcfarland’s video of serious gains from just a pulley).

Other than those I’m not sure what else to do, or if there is much else for what Im looking for. All advice welcom, thank u camaro fam💯

If ethanol is widely available where you live this is probably the cheapest option. You’ll need a flex fuel sensor and a tune. You can add headers after.

JSH 09-17-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxlblackzl (Post 11072242)
Wassup everybody, I’ve been looking at zl1’s & ready to get one & I know I wanna mod it. I’m just not sure exactly what I want & how to achieve my goals of what I wanna get out from this car. This is some of the things I’m thinkin about (some of em Im sold on). I really want mods that will produce the most hp gains, but I dont wanna do anything too crazy, mainly bolt on type of mods. (Willing to tune, thats cool since I kno its mandatory for some mods. Please provide insight & good advice. I want a good build that LOOKS relatively stock, but I want increase of 75-150hp & relatively same for tq. I also seen people mention ported blowers & ported throttle body??? Can somebody tell me the main benefits of those mods, and also if spark plugs are good performance/power mods?? Anyway here’s the list of current mods on my radar

Rotofab intake

Other than those I’m not sure what else to do, or if there is much else for what Im looking for. All advice welcom, thank u camaro fam💯

Just chose from my mods menu.

Evansa22 09-17-2021 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks pretty stock except for intake and green belt.
Similar to JSH's build minus cam or valvetrain.
Supposed to be around 125 hp bump, max MAF flow is 80 lb/min in 4th gear pull before adding ethanol. Rough estimate 800 at the crank?

At a certain point you're gonna need drag oriented tires to put the power down.

NOVAtwinLS3 09-18-2021 06:29 AM

For the $ and having Complete Street Performance’s knowledge, hard to beat they’re 755 package. I put down 630/660 on heat soaked run. Keeps stock boost level so not using pulleys creating more heat. They’re in PA just up road from you.