CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   For those who track their ZL1s... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540514)

Akura 10-12-2018 06:17 PM

For those who track their ZL1s...

Never had a car with a V8 supercharged, always European engines with much more fuel economy... Yesterday I tracked the car for the first time, and I have one question for you:

It’s normal to don’t reach 90 miles on track with a full tank capacity? I burned almost 1 liter per minute, 135 km / 80 miles :fear:

Here is a video of the track (Circuito del Jarama, Madrid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiFMbfqcbaI

Thank you!

Vtor_ZL1 10-12-2018 06:26 PM

Oh yeah. I can average 15mpg commuting :) that's 225 miles.

Last autox, was like 5 mpg.. or at 15 gallons = 65 miles.

Big motor + big power = big fuel consumption.

travislambert 10-12-2018 06:36 PM

I usually get 35-40 minutes per tank. I'm sure there's a lot of variance between tracks though.

nicktechla 10-12-2018 07:10 PM

Yeah last couple track days I was averaging 5mpg haha

Stephen12ZL1 10-12-2018 08:59 PM

At VIR, 20-25 min is 1/2 tank of fuel. The long straightaways there drink fuel when your foot is planted. Your fuel consumption is the nature of the beast.

shaftwhy 10-12-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travislambert (Post 10336178)
I usually get 35-40 minutes per tank. I'm sure there's a lot of variance between tracks though.

So basically you can’t finish two full 20 minutes sessions since you need some reserve to drive to gas station. Do you refuel on track after each session instead?

travislambert 10-12-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaftwhy (Post 10336294)
So basically you can’t finish two full 20 minutes sessions since you need some reserve to drive to gas station. Do you refuel on track after each session instead?

My tires usually fall off after about 15 minutes, so it's rare for me to stay out a full 20 minutes.

I bring several 5 gallon cans of gas with me and I make sure I have over a half tank before each session. There's gas available at the track too.

But yeah... I usually have to add gas between every session.

Inspector 17 10-12-2018 10:13 PM

Depending on the track, it can burn through some fuel. For a roughly 2 mile track, I count on burning 1/3 per 20 minute session. I ran a smaller track last week and I managed about 1/4 per session. On the big tracks I just got get gas every 2 or 3 sessions. On the track is the one place I don't mind getting 5mpg.

Aliveguy5 10-16-2018 01:06 PM

I burn a 1/2 tank per 20 minutes at most of my track sessions on a stock ZL1. This consumption is very close to my Gen 5 ZL1 as well.

Lafourche1 10-16-2018 01:10 PM

I average in the 4-6MPG while I am on the track. The 2016 Camaro SS that I had before was a real economy car and returned 6-8MPG (miles per gallon) when I was tracking it.

Roughly one or two twenty minute sessions is about it for a tank. This has held true at NOLA Motorsports Park and NCM Raceway.

Ryephile 10-16-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akura (Post 10336172)
...It’s normal to don’t reach 90 miles on track with a full tank capacity?...

90 miles / 19 gallon tank = 4.7 MPG, which is right in the ballpark for a 650 HP car at-pace.

Blast2hell 10-16-2018 02:33 PM

Two thirty minute sessions and the fuel is pretty low. I take several things of fuel with me to the Track and just add some between sessions. Racing for two days in a row and I think I go through about 40-45 gallons of fuel.

Agent K 10-16-2018 03:14 PM

First, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a question for those who track their ZL1s.

Do you turn off all the safety nannies?

I recently started turning off my safety nannies when I weekend drive mines in dry conditions. And I can get the back end to break loose at will. While this is fun at times it's also scary. I quickly realized these cars need to be on a track in order to safely explore it's limits. That being said, I'm going to leave the safety nannies on while street driving. Just curious to know if it's better to leave them on all the time including on the track.

BTW, I'll be starting my go-mods shortly so more power.

Ryephile 10-16-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent K (Post 10338754)
...Do you turn off all the safety nannies?...

The short versions is: It depends. Like most nuanced answers, it's never a black and white answer. The more advanced you get, the less the driver should need to rely on the TCS and ESC as backup safeties. The smoother line you can take without having the TCS or ESC correct your mistakes, the better driver you'll become as you let PTM loosen the reigns.

If the track is dry, start with Track: Dry. Once you think you're being held back by the car through the corners, then click down to Sport 1. Don't pretend the straightaway is where you'll win the day, and please let that Spec Miata pass, he's taking a better line than you. Learn from the wise ones. Rinse & repeat. Years down the road, and I do mean years, and some good instructors along the way, you'll be able to take advantage of the car in Track: Race, and eventually Track: Off:Off. That's for when you're chasing those final tenths, not still trying to figure out if your alignment is right with no pyrometer in your pit box.

The worst are the cocky self-proclaimed hero drivers that think they can sign up for the advanced group their first time out. It's a disservice to those of us that have been out there trying to do it right for decades, and it's a disservice to the n00b diving in way over his head with no proper skill foundation.

Sure, you can go out there Off: Off and pretend "you got this". The probability is however, you don't, and one of the excellently tailored PTM modes will not only help you safely explore the cars limits, it'll also help you drive the car home in one piece at the end of the day.