CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   Great tires for SS! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557059)

ArmanSS 06-24-2019 11:06 AM

Great tires for SS!

I thought I’d post this because it might help some people out in the future who don’t intend to put the Goodyear’s back on their car. I recently purchased some General GMAX RS ultra high performance summer tires and I wasn’t sure how they’d perform, but now that I have them, I love them. This may not help people who use their car year round in places where it gets below 40, but for people that run through a set of tires in the summer or if you live in Florida like me, they are amazing. They outperform the Goodyear’s in wet weather. I noticed a much quieter and smoother ride, especially over bumps when I bought them. I love the way they look too. It was hard to find a “Y” speed rated tire that was of good quality for a good price, so I decided to give these a try. I purchased 285s for the rear and kept the 245s in the front. They are far grippier than the Goodyear F1s, but they are not run-on-flats like the F1s. Anyways, just my two cents. Hopefully it helps people get great tires for half the price. Here’s a video comparing them to other well known brands like BFGs.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/test-re...m=445YR7GMRSXL

craigss50 06-24-2019 11:14 AM

Thanks. Looks like a tire I will consider and always good to save a few $$$.

cbr1100xx 06-24-2019 12:17 PM

285s have no fitment issues on the stock SS rim?

bdavies11 06-24-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr1100xx (Post 10553328)

No. I run 255's in the front and 285's in the rear on stock SS rim. No issues.

ArmanSS 06-24-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr1100xx (Post 10553328)

Nope it’s perfectly fine. I actually have a friend that runs 305s on his stock 2ss with no spacers. I believe that is going too wide for the 9.5 inch rim, but he said it works.

ArmanSS 06-24-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigss50 (Post 10553274)
Thanks. Looks like a tire I will consider and always good to save a few $$$.

:happy0180:

rayhawk 06-24-2019 02:18 PM

I have been running general tires on my Trailblazer SS for years, they perform great and are a great value. I have been through 2 sets of the Grabber UHPs and I really like them. Good wear, good traction, and so much cheaper than other options.

Have you tried any timed 0-60 runs with the new tires? I would love to replace the all seasons the prior owner put on my Camaro because they are pretty worthless when you try and launch the car. Been putting it off to save some cash for the Michelin's, but these sound like they might be worth a try.

ArmanSS 06-24-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayhawk (Post 10553456)
I have been running general tires on my Trailblazer SS for years, they perform great and are a great value. I have been through 2 sets of the Grabber UHPs and I really like them. Good wear, good traction, and so much cheaper than other options.

Have you tried any timed 0-60 runs with the new tires? I would love to replace the all seasons the prior owner put on my Camaro because they are pretty worthless when you try and launch the car. Been putting it off to save some cash for the Michelin's, but these sound like they might be worth a try.

I haven’t tried any 0-60 runs yet but I’ll definitely try it later tonight or tomorrow and let you know.

MackSteelPrivateEye 06-24-2019 03:18 PM

I bought Cooper RS3. Smoother, good tracking, cornering and bite...American made.

LT4Greg 06-24-2019 04:22 PM

When I had my 2016 SS I had Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires put on about 8 months before I traded it on my 2017 ZL1. The front size was stock 245/40 but the rear was 285/35 and those tires were excellent in rain and dry conditions. Don’t know what tire I will put on the ZL1 when the originals wear out as not many choices in those sizes are available.

enzia35 06-24-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye (Post 10553517)
I bought Cooper RS3. Smoother, good tracking, cornering and bite...American made.

Nope, made in China.

Walt88 06-24-2019 05:37 PM

Last year I got General G-Max AS-05's, and they are hands down the best daily driving tires I've ever had. This is comparing them to the stock Eagle F1's, Nitto 555's, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A's, Pirelli P Zero's, Toyo Proxies and Continental DWS 06's which I had on my previous Camaro. All of the aforementioned tires had great qualities overall but usually fell flat in one or two departments. Like the Toyo's were great for 6 months then started to turn rock hard, and the Nitto's were garbage in the rain. But these Generals? They have virtually the same grip in the wet and dry, cold or hot, they actually do decent in snow, and after a year and a half of useage and a Syracuse NY winter and are just as tacky as when I got em last year (And I still have 60% tread life left!) There may be better tires for the track or as dedicated snow tires, but nothing I've ever driven actually does everything reasonably well. I don't think I will buy anything else going forward. Literally cannot recommend these tires enough!

oslouie 06-24-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt88 (Post 10553663)
Last year I got General G-Max AS-05's, and they are hands down the best daily driving tires I've ever had. This is comparing them to the stock Eagle F1's, Nitto 555's, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A's, Pirelli P Zero's, Toyo Proxies and Continental DWS 06's which I had on my previous Camaro. All of the aforementioned tires had great qualities overall but usually fell flat in one or two departments. Like the Toyo's were great for 6 months then started to turn rock hard, and the Nitto's were garbage in the rain. But these Generals? They have virtually the same grip in the wet and dry, cold or hot, they actually do decent in snow, and after a year and a half of useage and a Syracuse NY winter and are just as tacky as when I got em last year (And I still have 60% tread life left!) There may be better tires for the track or as dedicated snow tires, but nothing I've ever driven actually does everything reasonably well. I don't think I will buy anything else going forward. Literally cannot recommend these tires enough!

I'm probably going with these as well. I had the AS-03's on my 5th gen and was pretty satisfied.

sav03cobra 06-24-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmanSS (Post 10553269)
I thought I’d post this because it might help some people out in the future who don’t intend to put the Goodyear’s back on their car. I recently purchased some General GMAX RS ultra high performance summer tires and I wasn’t sure how they’d perform, but now that I have them, I love them. This may not help people who use their car year round in places where it gets below 40, but for people that run through a set of tires in the summer or if you live in Florida like me, they are amazing. They outperform the Goodyear’s in wet weather. I noticed a much quieter and smoother ride, especially over bumps when I bought them. I love the way they look too. It was hard to find a “Y” speed rated tire that was of good quality for a good price, so I decided to give these a try. I purchased 285s for the rear and kept the 245s in the front. They are far grippier than the Goodyear F1s, but they are not run-on-flats like the F1s. Anyways, just my two cents. Hopefully it helps people get great tires for half the price. Here’s a video comparing them to other well known brands like BFGs.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/test-re...m=445YR7GMRSXL

What specific sizes? I couldn't find on Tirerack's website...