CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZL-1 1Le Torque Steer, goes left on throttle (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525356)

JANNETTYRACING 04-06-2018 11:38 AM

ZL-1 1Le Torque Steer, goes left on throttle

So I get my new ZL-1 1LE yesterday, and I notice driving back to the shop from the dealer, when I accelerate from 60 mph about 1/2 throttle the car pulls left.

I think to myself we will put it on the alignment machine and check it out, sure enough the alignment is all over the place, Yep there's the problem I thought.

So we set all the tire pressures and we put the upper strut mounts in race mode and did the alignment to perfection.

I am all excited to start putting some miles on, I pick up my wife at home and head out to start breaking in the motor, I finally get to the highway and same thing, the harder you push on the throttle the harder it pulls left.

This car will change lanes with the steering wheel perfectly straight with Moderate throttle.

So I pulled up the ELSD gauge on the dash and I see the Percentage rise on throttle and it was showing small amounts of tire slip even with none.

So I dropped the car off at my shop and called it a night.

This morning I went through the entire suspension, front and back looking for something that can shift or is lose and torqued every bolt and everything was perfect.

We even went so far as to measure the rear tires for circumference to see if I had a larger tire on one side, NOPE perfectly the same.

This leads me to think there is something going on with the ELSD.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Ted.

Nrfd79 04-06-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 10136408)
So I get my new ZL-1 1LE yesterday, and I notice driving back to the shop from the dealer, when I accelerate from 60 mph about 1/2 throttle the car pulls left.

I think to myself we will put it on the alignment machine and check it out, sure enough the alignment is all over the place, Yep there's the problem I thought.

So we set all the tire pressures and we put the upper strut mounts in race mode and did the alignment to perfection.

I am all excited to start putting some miles on, I pick up my wife at home and head out to start breaking in the motor, I finally get to the highway and same thing, the harder you push on the throttle the harder it pulls left.

This car will change lanes with the steering wheel perfectly straight with Moderate throttle.

So I pulled up the ELSD gauge on the dash and I see the Percentage rise on throttle and it was showing small amounts of tire slip even with none.

So I dropped the car off at my shop and called it a night.

This morning I went through the entire suspension, front and back looking for something that can shift or is lose and torqued every bolt and everything was perfect.

We even went so far as to measure the rear tires for circumference to see if I had a larger tire on one side, NOPE perfectly the same.

This leads me to think there is something going on with the ELSD.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Ted.

The only time mine will do anything like that is if it finds a rut in the road. I've had it almost take the wheel out of my hands a couple times. But nothing like what yours is doing. Good luck

JANNETTYRACING 04-06-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrfd79 (Post 10136434)
The only time mine will do anything like that is if it finds a rut in the road. I've had it almost take the wheel out of my hands a couple times. But nothing like what yours is doing. Good luck

NO this happens on perfectly smooth road and is repeatable every time.

I did it 10 times in a row on a perfectly smooth highway in all three lanes.

Cruising I can let go of the wheel, start rolling the throttle down and it will change lanes while holding the wheel straight.

Ted.

Nrfd79 04-06-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 10136437)

Cruising I can let go of the wheel, start rolling the throttle down and it will change lanes while holding the wheel straight.

Ted.

Yeah that's crazy. Something has to be moving. A bad bushing or something going on. I would measure the rear axle make sure its not off a touch. I've seen it in other cars but never a Camaro. Just a thought

TRZ06 04-06-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 10136437)

Ted.

I am betting on a defective tire. If the steel belts are not exact, you will have a pull.

I had this issue once on my old C5 Z06. Tracked straight, got new tires and immediately had a pull on throttle.

Took it back to the tire shop, had them order me a new tire, and BAM, tracked straight again.

Nrfd79 04-06-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZ06 (Post 10136451)
I am betting on a defective tire. If the steel belts are not exact, you will have a pull.

I had this issue once on my old C5 Z06. Tracked straight, got new tires and immediately had a pull on throttle.

Took it back to the tire shop, had them order me a new tire, and BAM, tracked straight again.

Yeah seen that as well. Good catch. Switch the tires to different sides and see if it changes..

Aliveguy5 04-06-2018 12:20 PM

I hope that's all it is.

JANNETTYRACING 04-06-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrfd79 (Post 10136465)
Yeah seen that as well. Good catch. Switch the tires to different sides and see if it changes..

We did that just need it to stop snowing so I can test it.

I am betting on the ELSD.

ZL1 1LE 04-06-2018 12:47 PM

No, thankfully.

ninetres 04-06-2018 01:06 PM

There is a recent thread floating around about this being a somewhat common complaint.

JANNETTYRACING 04-06-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetres (Post 10136558)
There is a recent thread floating around about this being a somewhat common complaint.

Any information you can share will be much appreciated.

The dealer is speaking with GM technical assistance, I am waiting for a response now.

I should note this is not a minor pull, it will change lanes with heavy throttle and no tire slip.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-06-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 10136560)
Any information you can share will be much appreciated.

The dealer is speaking with GM technical assistance, I am waiting for a response now.

I should note this is not a minor pull, it will change lanes with heavy throttle and no tire slip.

The issue you’re describing is NOTHING like anyone has mentioned before. Which is good and bad. Best of luck getting it figured out! I’d hope for tires or an rear end issue.

waterman 04-06-2018 01:55 PM

I'm hoping that it is tires, an eLSD issue is opening a big ol' can of worms. As long of a period of time that some of these sets of GY 3R's have been sitting loaded in sub freezing conditions in Lansing, a tire issue would not surprise me at all.

Best of luck with this issue. Keep us posted.

JANNETTYRACING 04-06-2018 02:16 PM

It really sucks I have a track event paid for next Sat, I need this resolved before then.