Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hands Free/Self Driving Cars (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522283)

yzinger 03-03-2018 05:07 PM

Hands Free/Self Driving Cars

Listen, I am all for innovation but is anyone else terrified of this movement?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wmji/cadilla...-by-etta-james

A human paying attention has got to the be norm for driving vehicles imo. I know the technology is amazing but i dont know how you can code for EVERY possible scenario. Not to mention humans are un-hackable :)

Discuss

Iron Lung Jimmy 03-03-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yzinger (Post 10095508)
Listen, I am all for innovation but is anyone else terrified of this movement?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wmji/cadilla...-by-etta-james

A human paying attention has got to the be norm for driving vehicles imo. I know the technology is amazing but i dont know how you can code for EVERY possible scenario. Not to mention humans are un-hackable :)

Discuss

That largely does not exist now so I've come around to thinking a computer driving a car is way better than some fool trying to drive while texting.

yzinger 03-03-2018 05:32 PM

that is a fair statement Jimmy Iron. But, in the grand scheme of things I don't like it!

Stormcloak 03-03-2018 06:12 PM

Hopefully they stay in the right lane, and it's all good.

Jayjellyfish212 03-03-2018 06:28 PM

I don't like the idea personally because it will take the little bit of what is left of human freedom away. I'm all for technology but it does have its limits and this is certainly one of them. I don't support this hands free car stuff but do believe they should use technology to assist with cars to support something like disabling of phone functions like texting when in a car. Say like a jammer or something. I do see the big change ahead on electric automotives and now they are making horsepower it will attract buyers. A hands free auto though? Absolutely nothing will kill human freedom faster!

cornerspeed92 03-03-2018 06:40 PM

As i think how unfortunate it is that stupid people continue to breed and society thinks it's ok to keep these people alive and support them. This is simply the most insane thing that i can imagine...people just dont get it!! and this will just be one more thing that someone will die or be injured because some stupid ass thinks they will just let the car drive.

mickss 03-03-2018 07:29 PM

Everyone relax, that technology is years down the road, in the mean time we can still go out and drive our cars and probably at sometime or another do something stupid or dangerous no matter how good of a driver we think we are! So until that time of self-driving cars arrive we can still go on believing we are more capable drivers than a self-driving car.....I just wish everyone was as good as a driver as I am :facepalm: ;)

hammdo 03-03-2018 07:38 PM

For me, if you want to text -- take the train, cab, or bus ;o)

All kidding aside, this is going to come and with all the distracted drivers out there on the phone or texting, they're the ones who should have driver-less.

Me, I ride my motorcycle and I'm very aware of my surroundings and the 'distracted drivers' -- makes me a better driver -- as my head is basically 'on a swivel' as it were.

As well all know, driving is a 'privilege' right now which means it can be taken away -- while its a 'necessity' to get to places and work, that can change....

I love driving myself and don't text while I drive -- I do have hands free and use it only when necessary. Most of the time, I just listen to music when I drive...

-Don

Jayjellyfish212 03-03-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickss (Post 10095641)
Everyone relax, that technology is years down the road, in the mean time we can still go out and drive our cars and probably at sometime or another do something stupid or dangerous no matter how good of a driver we think we are! So until that time of self-driving cars arrive we can still go on believing we are more capable drivers than a self-driving car.....I just wish everyone was as good as a driver as I am :facepalm: ;)

Where have you been? They are already here! The technology has been developing for years with the idea of road sensors to assist. With technology advances there is only need for satellite assist. There was a show on tv yesterday regarding the concepts design. Hopefully people actually stick together and realize the freedom they would lose with buying into the system of full big brother control as to where this would put us.

yzinger 03-03-2018 08:43 PM

guys, the link i shared is of an available model RIGHT NOW. You can be as aware as you want. Single lane road doing 80kmh each, a simple glitch and its a head on collision

Tenring 03-03-2018 10:13 PM

It is here already.

They have been testing them by where I work for the last couple years,see them everyday. I always keep a close eye on them. They were usually traveling in pairs or small groups. A few days ago I heard on the local news that they were approved to now drive around without anyone behind the wheel.

I have mixed feelings about this. But after watching people eat breakfast, puting makeup on, texting and reading books on the highways has me leaning towards driverless vehicals.

SinginHawk 03-04-2018 12:36 AM

No matter what, computers will be better drivers than humans. The motives of the people programming them is a secondary concern to me, and one that I trust more than the others on the road every day that I drive.

I love driving and the freedom that it brings, but transportation and social mobility are complex problems that require complex solutions. Self-driving cars aren't magic bullets, they are a solution for the group of people who would rather spend their time on other things during commutes, or have the safest ride possible.

One great way to look at this situation, is to compare yourself as a driver to a moderately capable computer-driven car. This car could know what all other computer-driven cars within a mile are doing, solving traffic and collision issues before they begin. No human being can compete with this level of awareness.

Smokin19 03-04-2018 07:32 AM

I guess driver-less cars will be OK and we don't have to worry about someone hacking in to the computer, right? NO THANKS!

redcoats1976 03-04-2018 08:01 AM

6 of one,half a dozen of the other.for every computer glitch related accident there will be a dozen morons texting,putting on makeup,reading(!) etc.that said i would prefer to be in control of my own destiny.