CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   I drove an automatic today, and I just can't do it (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432681)

Eric SS 12-11-2015 09:45 PM

I drove an automatic today, and I just can't do it

Nothing at all against whatever your preference is. To each their own. I've enjoyed the A8 in my current car tremendously. However, this will be my 3rd Camaro and I've had a manual in the other two. My dealership just got a few in today and the only one left was an auto. I drove it hoping I would like it but I just couldn't get into it. They'll have a manual to drive in a few days but at this point, I am 100% sure that I'll not be getting the auto even though I have a 40 minute stop and go commute. If you're used to a manual in a muscle/pony car and are considering switching to auto, it's going to be a tough sell. Tougher than I was expecting. I'm going to miss having remote start here in the desert.

On another note, what a beautiful car and the interior is gorgeous. I can't wait to order one!

GTIanZ28 12-11-2015 10:52 PM

This thread is going to go downhill fast.

But, I agree with you. Row your own in a sports car. None of us are Fernando Alonso. And, I'd bet that outside of racing even Alonso enjoys a great manual trans.

For the drag racers, stop light champs, and weekend track warriors the auto makes sense for consistency sake.

IMHO manuals are still more enjoyable to drive..... Though for the auto guys I must admit that the Subaru Impreza rental car I'm driving right now is actually a really decent car. Pretty fun and very convienent to drive even with the cvt transmission (+ I'm getting 30+ mpg). I actually prefer the awd handling characteristics more than my now sold gti. I can see why the WRX/STI's have such a fan base.

Eric SS 12-11-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 (Post 8783734)
This thread is going to go downhill fast.

Yeah, that's not my intention with this. I just wanted to give my perspective. I'm glad I tried the auto before buying one sight unseen. I would have been disappointed. And it saved me $1,500 : )

But again, to each their own. I love the A8 in my current car for what it is. I could have got a Manual in this car but to me an auto just fit better for what my intentions were and I'm glad I went with an auto over a manual in that instance.

Zultain7 12-11-2015 11:24 PM

I know for my purposes, the auto works. I really enjoy driving manual and still go back and forth if I should try and find a stick and leave my order alone. But for what I'm using it for, commuting into and out of San Francisco, it's beneficial. The active fuel management is a nice touch, and I don't plan to track it much If at all. When I want to track something, I'll borrow a friends ZO6.

SkipNWis 12-11-2015 11:36 PM

The difference between an automatic and stick shift IS = sex with a condom on = Automatic. Sex without a condom = Manual. You just F E E L the experience a lot more :)

cartem2 12-11-2015 11:58 PM

I'm with the op on this one!! Nothing agents autos and I completely understand all the reasons autos are better than manul thees days. I went back and forth with the decision before placing my order and the Remote Start almost sold me on autos but when it came down to placing the order it just didn't feel right not sticking with the stick lol

Drm2Reality 12-12-2015 12:34 AM

Nothing should "go downhill fast". Just ones opinion.

But I could not agree more. Bought and auto zl1 and wasted a bunch of money. I will never buy a sports car again that I enjoy driving on a track with an auto. Boring. Not fun to drive whatsoever after the first 500 miles!

addisonpeterson 12-12-2015 01:23 AM

Some of us would love to try a manual, but unfortunately for me no one I know has a manual. I don't want to buy a $44K car and not drive it off the lot. If there was a way to learn I would totally do it. I tried looking at every driving school in NorCal and no one teaches you how to drive a manual.

cartem2 12-12-2015 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addisonpeterson (Post 8783852)
Some of us would love to try a manual, but unfortunately for me no one I know has a manual. I don't want to buy a $44K car and not drive it off the lot. If there was a way to learn I would totally do it. I tried looking at every driving school in NorCal and no one teaches you how to drive a manual.

It's good to hear someone want to learn to drive a stick, thees days most people could care less about learning, it's sad that you're not able to find a way to lean but I guess it goes with the times. Don't feel to bad tho honestly autos really are better, I think driving a stick is something you have to grow doing to really appreciate and want to use for a daily driver.

Cautionary tale 12-12-2015 03:35 AM

Hey

I do wish I knew how to drive a manual, my dad drove automatics, so it was natural to me to stick with that formula, u do feel more connected to your vehicle in manual, plus the added horsepower is nice... I have messed with paddle shift a bit, it's ok but I'm afraid of messing something up... and I'm not a huge fan of afm, I bought a v8 to have a v8-all the time!!!! Still great car though.... 2016 summit white 2ss mag ride....

daytonagary 12-12-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkipNWis (Post 8783790)
The difference between an automatic and stick shift IS = sex with a condom on = Automatic. Sex without a condom = Manual. You just F E E L the experience a lot more :)

AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!! Even my grandson of 22 years old never was exposed to or drove a stick shift in his whole life but when wanting to buy a Hyndai Genesis found a stick shift car he liked and went for it. An afternoon of lessons and practice from his mother and father and he was on his way in his new car for a 100 mile drive back to college. That easy to learn. And now looking for a newer Genesis and says he could never buy an automatic again. Too much fun every day driving the stick shift.

suzook 12-12-2015 07:12 AM

The manual is slower. Why buy a slower car???

raptor5244 12-12-2015 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzook (Post 8783954)
The manual is slower. Why buy a slower car???

Because it is not about the .1 or .2 seconds. It is about the fun factor associated with rowing your own gears. Hard to explain since it is a "feeling" and that is why you will see threads like this forever.

suzook 12-12-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor5244 (Post 8783966)
Because it is not about the .1 or .2 seconds. It is about the fun factor associated with rowing your own gears. Hard to explain since it is a "feeling" and that is why you will see threads like this forever.

I used to only drive manuals. I guess i am just done with them. If I was tracking the car, a manual would be my choice. But as a dd, I prefer autos now. I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive!