CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   A8 Exhaust Questions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582342)

302SS 09-27-2020 02:09 PM

A8 Exhaust Questions

I've been reading the forums for awhile, and can't really find a solid answer.

I have a 2017 A8 2SS. I want to get a full exhaust, I have the NPP option. I was thinking of going Corsa/Borla but I can't find one that supports AFM? I don't really want to keep AFM but I don't want to throw a check engine light at the same time.

Any suggestions on exhausts for the A8 cars that won't throw a check engine light?

Thank you.

Dvs510 09-27-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302SS (Post 10875425)

I have a 2017 A8 2SS. I want to get a full exhaust, I have the NPP option. I was thinking of going Corsa/Borla but I can't find one that supports AFM? I don't really want to keep AFM but I don't want to throw a check engine light at the same time.

Any suggestions on exhausts for the A8 cars that won't throw a check engine light?

Thank you.

Borla, hooker blackheart, stainless works... most of the companies that have npp functionality have the version for a8 cars

Darth Martel 09-28-2020 06:49 AM

Prepare to pay premium dollars for the NPP version of the exhausts. The exhausts for our cars are ridiculously priced as is but, when you add in the NPP, the prices jump up even higher.

KingLT1 09-28-2020 07:48 AM

There are several NPP versions but only a few make a significant difference between open and closed. The Corsa and Flowmaster have the biggest noise reduction in closed mode. The Flowmaster is half the price of the Corsa.

Mark114 09-28-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Martel (Post 10875729)
Prepare to pay premium dollars for the NPP version of the exhausts. The exhausts for our cars are ridiculously priced as is but, when you add in the NPP, the prices jump up even higher.

You can save a few $$ by getting an axle-back instead of a cat-back. If you’re keeping the cats then there isn’t much benefit to paying extra for the cat-back.

Joshinator99 09-28-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302SS (Post 10875425)

Thank you.

Easy, tune the FSCM to shut off the AFM valves and the associated dozen or so codes. Do this BEFORE you change the exhaust! Once you’re tuned, run whatever you want. :)

simon18 09-28-2020 09:49 PM

AWE has the AFM valve simulator that essentially allow the A8's to run catbacks without throwing a CEL. I ordered one and plan to put it on in a couple of weeks.

302SS 09-30-2020 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 10875878)
Easy, tune the FSCM to shut off the AFM valves and the associated dozen or so codes. Do this BEFORE you change the exhaust! Once you’re tuned, run whatever you want. :)

Take it to a tuner or plug in one of those chips? I want to get it professionally tuned down the road, (my end goal is camming/headers/intake, etc) but for now just an exhaust, CAI, and new wheels/tires. I don't see a point taking it to a tuner until I start throwing engine mods at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon18 (Post 10876306)
AWE has the AFM valve simulator that essentially allow the A8's to run catbacks without throwing a CEL. I ordered one and plan to put it on in a couple of weeks.

Can you link it? Is it safe to do that? I read some threads saying don't use the plugin tuner and some said it was fine. So honestly, I'm not sure. I can't really think of why it would be unsafe but again, I'm not entirely sure.

My main scare is throwing a check engine light because of AFM. I was thinking of getting a cat back.

Thank you all for the responses though I appreciate it! And yeah, the NPP options are very expensive. I do like having that option, just incase.

enzia35 10-01-2020 05:51 AM

What the exhaust manufacturers are saying is the mid pipes delete the AFM valves, and that causes a CEL. I know Borla has a mid pipe that keeps that AFM valves, but that shit is $$$. Part number 60610.

Honestly just skip getting an aftermarket mid pipe. I wish I didn't. That would have been a lot of money saved.

simon18 10-01-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302SS (Post 10877523)
Can you link it? Is it safe to do that? I read some threads saying don't use the plugin tuner and some said it was fine. So honestly, I'm not sure. I can't really think of why it would be unsafe but again, I'm not entirely sure.

My main scare is throwing a check engine light because of AFM. I was thinking of getting a cat back.

Here’s the link to the product. Scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see it.

Here’s a link to their explanation of the product. They guarantee no CEL.

Here’s a link to them installing it.
For $35, it seems like a very simple solution to deleting the AFM valves while still making it easy to reinstall the valves if necessary.

KingLT1 10-01-2020 08:43 AM

All you do is turn off the AFM valves in the FSCM controller via HPtuners and you won't get the CEL for the valves being removed from the exhaust. It costs 50.00 to license the FSCM and I don't believe it trips the flash counter on the ECU(don't quote me) for those that are worried about warranty.

302SS 10-09-2020 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon18 (Post 10877617)
Here’s the link to the product. Scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see it.

Here’s a link to their explanation of the product. They guarantee no CEL.

Here’s a link to them installing it.
For $35, it seems like a very simple solution to deleting the AFM valves while still making it easy to reinstall the valves if necessary.

Thank you. I'll be buying one of those and the exhaust this week. Sorry for the late reply, been working a lot of OT.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enzia35 (Post 10877555)
What the exhaust manufacturers are saying is the mid pipes delete the AFM valves, and that causes a CEL. I know Borla has a mid pipe that keeps that AFM valves, but that shit is $$$. Part number 60610.

Honestly just skip getting an aftermarket mid pipe. I wish I didn't. That would have been a lot of money saved.

I think I'll do that as well, I can always do the rest. Thank you!