CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   V6 1le vs Civic Type R (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562590)

snowolf_rs 09-25-2019 12:03 AM

V6 1le vs Civic Type R

So i know this seems like a very odd comparison, but on paper the civic type r and v6 1le are very close in performance, the civic was actually just 0.1 seconds faster on car and driver's lighting lap. I already have a 2.0 turbo RS, but im looking to get something a little more unique and track focused. What are everyone's thoughts on these two cars compared to one another?

cbr1100xx 09-25-2019 02:02 AM

Type R is a great car but I'd never buy it on looks alone. Just too stupid looking IMO.

HCI2000SS 09-25-2019 04:31 AM

I'd go drive both, and form my own opinion.

ddanj 09-25-2019 11:16 AM

Sporty cars in the same price range are all fair game to compare in my opinion.

I couldn't get past the looks of the CTR. Especially the huge fake vents. But that is very subjective for sure.

Regarding road manners, all the reviews I've read and saw sing praises of all the 1LE variants and of the CTR.

The CTR does have a weight advantage at only 3100lbs.

Drive both and let us know what you think!

chaospiece 09-25-2019 11:23 AM

If you already have a 2.0 turbo RS and are looking for something noticeably more sporty, you have to shift your focus. Otherwise it'll feel almost the same as where you're at now.

cbr1100xx 09-25-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaospiece (Post 10627228)
If you already have a 2.0 turbo RS and are looking for something noticeably more sporty, you have to shift your focus. Otherwise it'll feel almost the same as where you're at now.

Agreed. Not going to be a drastic change. An SS 1LE would be.

Deesiel678 09-25-2019 03:39 PM

One thing that doesn't get mentioned in reviews is the sustainability of the car while on track, instead everyone focuses on driving impressions and lap times. I know of a few people that track Civic Type R's; the issue that many of them have is overheating. The people that I know of that track often had to replace the OEM radiator with an aftermarket unit in order to sustain an entire 20min session running 8-10/10s without overheating. The V6 1LE, with its 6 heat exchangers (HD radiator, 2x aux radiators, transmission cooler, liquid-to-liquid diff and engine oil coolers) does not seem to have this issue. MAYBE if its a very hot day you may have issues but not as much as the CTR.
I'd be curious to know how willing Honda would be to address a mechanical issue encountered while tracking the CTR. Would they honor the warranty in such a case? We've already seen several examples of Chevrolet warrantying 1LE cars that have been used on track (the caveat is that they must remain stock).
The Camaro also has more camber adjustment in the stock suspension, making better use of the tires. You can fit wider tires on the Camaro as well. Mod for mod, the CTR will be faster though.

kropscamaro16 09-25-2019 04:00 PM

also rwd> fwd is something to think about also lol

my old car was a fwd cobalt ss and i love my camaro ss took a few days to get adjusted to rwd but its definately alot more fun and you cant beat the sound of a v8

COmaro 09-25-2019 05:05 PM

I've considered both of these as track cars as well as 86 TRD and Miata Club. Real world pricing, you can get a V6 1LE for under 29K, a Civic Type R rarely goes for under $36K. Miata Club with Brembos can be had for about $30K. 86 TRD is about $29K.

As a daily driver, the Civic and 86 are much more practical than the Camaro or Miata. Hatchbacks, rule. On the plus side for the Camaro you can run regular gas in a V6 Camaro, premium is required in the others.

Resale in five years on any of the three will be *way* better than the Camaro, especially the Civic, probably enough to offset the initial higher price of the Civic. I'd bet the maintenance and repairs on the Camaro would be less money though.

Here is the question? Do you actually track the car? If not, save your pennies for an LT1. A year from now you'll be able to get one for about $35K.

If you actually track the car, keep in mind that if you blow up any of the other three you'll be out of luck on a warranty claim. Chevy will fix your 1LE.

If you don't care about a warranty on the track, get the Civic, if you can find one.

Clam 09-26-2019 09:59 AM

I would get the 1LE V6 over the Civic Type R as it is Naturally Aspirated, has oil/diff coolers from the SS, RWD, and the Alpha Chassis is awesome!

shaffe 09-26-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaospiece (Post 10627228)

This ^

funked1 09-26-2019 02:12 PM

You can get an SS 1LE for less than the Civic. Also the Civic can do things like carry four adults and cargo.

cbr1100xx 09-26-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funked1 (Post 10628052)
You can get an SS 1LE for less than the Civic.

Where are you finding new SS 1LE's for $36K?

funked1 09-26-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr1100xx (Post 10628127)
Where are you finding new SS 1LE's for $36K?

Where are you finding Type-Rs under $40k?