Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Secondary Trunk battery cable (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606717)

Bigdumogre 06-20-2022 06:53 PM

Secondary Trunk battery cable

So if you don’t know I made a thread 2 weeks ago about a no start that sounded like a bad starter. Being a GM guy and having a bunch of 70’s firebirds, novas, monte carols…. Etc….. I am used to replacing starters on my cars yearly lol. I just got my car back after being rebuilt and it was sitting for 8 months. Drove the car for the first few weeks then life happens and it sat for over a week and got a click instead of a crank. My first thought was a starter but I’ve read and peoples comments about battery or cable starting getting me thinking. I’m pretty sure my battery is weak due to sitting so long (8 months) without being started or charged I figure it’s weak and I will replace it soon. But also people where talking about adding a extra negative battery cable in the trunk. I ordered the cable in Amazon and got 2 for $12 and are good quality. I removed the body ground from the trunk and it almost broke off it was so rusted. There is no way it was a solid ground as is with how much rust there was. I cleaned up the bolt and added some dielectric grease and added the new ground cable. The car starts so much quicker and stronger now. Best mod to do and also needs to be addressed anyway due to the heavy rust that builds up on that bolt.

Will still be replacing battery this summer. Just figuring what’s a lighter weight one that would be good for a weekend driver.

tartagliazl1 06-20-2022 07:01 PM

I did the same thing, ordered 2 24” 2awg wire with premade ends on them. One i put on the battery ground with the factory ground also attached. The second ground i installed it from the transmission bolt to the engine cradle subframe. It already has a threaded insert on it.

Bigdumogre 06-20-2022 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11189448)
I did the same thing, ordered 2 24” 2awg wire with premade ends on them. One i put on the battery ground with the factory ground also attached. The second ground i installed it from the transmission bolt to the engine cradle subframe. It already has a threaded insert on it.

The second one I will place there too once I get underneath the car. Was your bolt rusted too in the trunk ?

tartagliazl1 06-20-2022 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 11189450)
The second one I will place there too once I get underneath the car. Was your bolt rusted too in the trunk ?

No rust at all. Car was a Texas car before i bought it.

Bigdumogre 06-21-2022 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11189458)
No rust at all. Car was a Texas car before i bought it.

Ahhh nice. Mine is a New York car and we see alot of salt from the winter and living on the south shore by the water even more from the ocean.

1JEWLDSSRS 06-21-2022 08:35 AM

I did this "extra" ground cable in the trunk as well. Nice difference in startups now, especially when hot.

Bigdumogre 06-24-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11189586)
I did this "extra" ground cable in the trunk as well. Nice difference in startups now, especially when hot.

Seems to help a lot and a cheap mod

1JEWLDSSRS 06-25-2022 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 11191536)
Seems to help a lot and a cheap mod

Yes sir! Agreed. And I haven't done the "other" ground yet, trans to frame as this one seems to have made a good difference alone. :thumbup:

Bigdumogre 06-25-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11191617)
Yes sir! Agreed. And I haven't done the "other" ground yet, trans to frame as this one seems to have made a good difference alone. :thumbup:

I have a second one too for that but this one really made a huge difference already I may not even need it. I also see a jumper under the hood people do where the bolt jumper is. My bolt is rusted si may just clean it up and add dielectric grease like the trunk.

1JEWLDSSRS 06-25-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 11191631)
I have a second one too for that but this one really made a huge difference already I may not even need it. I also see a jumper under the hood people do where the bolt jumper is. My bolt is rusted si may just clean it up and add dielectric grease like the trunk.

Yes sir, saw that underhood fix as well. Looked a little more intensive than I wanted to do. I also have the second cable just sitting in my parts room, probably won't ever need it, but I have it. lol.

chevy pilot 06-07-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 11189450)
Was your bolt rusted too in the trunk ?

Mine was very rusty,it was hard work to get the bolt open.

InFiD3ViL 06-13-2023 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy pilot (Post 11323637)
Mine was very rusty,it was hard work to get the bolt open.

Gotta be very careful. Mine was rusted and wound up getting cross threaded. The bolt snapped at the surface. What a nightmare to drill out. Now I have a coated bolt that I bolt from the bottom, underneath the car. Took that opportunity to also add the 2nd trunk ground. With my new high torque starter, starting is quick every time, even when hot.