CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   To FI or not..... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565496)

SCCAMAROSS 11-19-2019 08:18 PM

To FI or not.....

I am really struggling with deciding what route I want to go as far as adding more power. I have no plans to hit the track and it is kind of my daily driver (I divide it with driving my Jeep JK). Not looking to get above 600-650 hp and not looking to hit 9's on the track. So basically I am looking for bragging rights and streetability. Should I go supercharger or should I stick with NA and build up the engine with a cam and headers and intake and TB? They both seem to be the same price range (8-10k)

Thanks for any advice.

lt1j 11-19-2019 08:41 PM

Selling my procharger set up for 4.5k that has my car at 605rwhp.

Joshinator99 11-19-2019 08:48 PM

For street use, the torque of a PD blower is tough to beat IMO.

Too_Fast 11-19-2019 10:30 PM

:faint:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCCAMAROSS (Post 10663929)
I am really struggling with deciding what route I want to go as far as adding more power. I have no plans to hit the track and it is kind of my daily driver (I divide it with driving my Jeep JK). Not looking to get above 600-650 hp and not looking to hit 9's on the track. So basically I am looking for bragging rights and streetability. Should I go supercharger or should I stick with NA and build up the engine with a cam and headers and intake and TB? They both seem to be the same price range (8-10k)

Thanks for any advice.

Do you have A8 or manual ?
Reason for asking, if you have the A8, I would go NA. I had a 2016 that I Magnuson SC, and never could get it right ( transmission shifting in other than WOT ). Plus that cam sound is hard to beat.

Dysan911 11-20-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCCAMAROSS (Post 10663929)

Thanks for any advice.

I just returned my car to stock but was running a Procharger with a smaller pulley, Bolt on's & e85. 600 to the wheels on pump and with E85 estimating maybe 640-650. Getting out of the camaro due to life changes but one thing I learned on this Journey that I didn't know coming into it was there are two levels of Power. Street and Track!. IMHO of course. Knowing what I know now I think I might have stopped and been content with a power level that I could better use on the street with decent street tires. Just call it a day and have fun with it. IMHO the ZL1's are in this sweet spot.

Once you exceed a certain power level you almost need to run Drag radials or a drag pack on your car daily. lol It's like a hellcat with 707 HP on 245 width street tires.

Some of the guys who go after huge power here are track enthusiast who have the proper setup to put that kind of power down on a properly prepped track.

Just some things to consider.

grampa_ss 11-20-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysan911 (Post 10664111)
I just returned my car to stock but was running a Procharger with a smaller pulley, Bolt on's & e85. 600 to the wheels on pump and with E85 estimating maybe 640-650. Getting out of the camaro due to life changes but one thing I learned on this Journey that I didn't know coming into it was there are two levels of Power. Street and Track!. IMHO of course. Knowing what I know now I think I might have stopped and been content with a power level that I could better use on the street with decent street tires. Just call it a day and have fun with it. IMHO the ZL1's are in this sweet spot.

Once you exceed a certain power level you almost need to run Drag radials or a drag pack on your car daily. lol It's like a hellcat with 707 HP on 245 width street tires.

Some of the guys who go after huge power here are track enthusiast who have the proper setup to put that kind of power down on a properly prepped track.

Just some things to consider.

Completely agree. I'm 608 RW and I need to run DRs daily. I may not be able to floor it from a dig....but it'll kinda hook 1st, bang 2nd and i'm gone. The Procharger doesn't have the low end torque of a PD blower, so that helps to not totally blow off the tires.

Eric10905 11-20-2019 09:03 AM

Following.

Great question and great feedback - thanks guys.

KingLT1 11-20-2019 09:04 AM

I have pulled 6.x 0-100 with my Whipple on the street. The torque and power across the entire curve is addicting. Traction is all based on setup and driver...not the type of power adder.

That being said a Centri setup is very capable but needs a higher stall converter(3600) to optimize it's potential on a A8 car.

So my recommendation would be if you do not plan on changing converter is to get a Maggie or Whipple because they work well with the stock stall speed. If converter swap is in the cards then a P1x setup would rank right up there.

These cars fly NA with a good heads/cam package as well but also needs a stall converter(4000)...so if you want stealth, go FI...if you want to shake rattle and roll, then stay NA. It's Not real difficult to make power and go fast in 2019.

Umbriel 11-20-2019 09:06 AM

I've been modding cars for a long time and have had everything from big NA builds to nitrous builds to turbo builds. With that being said after having a boosted car I will never build another NA car, after feeling something with a turbo or supercharger NA and nitrous builds just don't do it for me anymore.

KingLT1 11-20-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umbriel (Post 10664182)
I've been modding cars for a long time and have had everything from big NA builds to nitrous builds to turbo builds. With that being said after having a boosted car I will never build another NA car, after feeling something with a turbo or supercharger NA and nitrous builds just don't do it for me anymore.

I agree...been down that road too.

The only thing I haven't had is a turbo build. And had that Huron speed kit been available prior to my Whipple purchase, I likely would of given it a shot. I really like the looks of that setup. Be a killer setup with a nice Circle D 32-3400 stall converter.

ssmofo 11-20-2019 09:34 AM

So the Procharger benefits from a higher stall, I am contemplating a power adder but I don't really want to change the TC, they just seem so much easier to install.

KingLT1 11-20-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmofo (Post 10664204)
So the Procharger benefits from a higher stall, I am contemplating a power adder but I don't really want to change the TC, they just seem so much easier to install.

Oh yea huge difference just ask Brett @ Prayperfomance.

SCCAMAROSS 11-20-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too_Fast (Post 10663993)
:faint:

Do you have A8 or manual ?
Reason for asking, if you have the A8, I would go NA. I had a 2016 that I Magnuson SC, and never could get it right ( transmission shifting in other than WOT ). Plus that cam sound is hard to beat.

I have an A8.

These are all great points. The main thing is I want to feel like I have added power even when just passing someone in the slow lane. I don't want to have to take the car up to 5000+ RPM just to get the power to kick in.

grampa_ss 11-20-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCCAMAROSS (Post 10664252)
I have an A8.

These are all great points. The main thing is I want to feel like I have added power even when just passing someone in the slow lane. I don't want to have to take the car up to 5000+ RPM just to get the power to kick in.

Then you want a PD blower.