CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launching Discussion (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=256)
-   -   Video: launch control (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588845)

17MaroSS 02-27-2021 03:55 PM

Video: launch control

I guess this is what happens when you try using launch control on an unpreped track on stock runflats at 26psi. Thought I was for sure going to slam in to that bmw!!!

https://youtu.be/Id66jOEhU7g

Paintslinger16 02-27-2021 04:54 PM

Oh wow that would have really sucked!

s346k 02-28-2021 06:24 AM

it looks like launch control did its job...

my 1LE car did that frequently on unprepped tracks when it was stock, 2nd gear was always a poop show.

17MaroSS 02-28-2021 03:01 PM

It was a no lift shift 1-2 that caused the near crash

vtirocz 03-02-2021 04:21 PM

Even after launch control, it sounded like you were spinning all through 1st gear. Was ambient temp < 55F? For the best possible times under those conditions, get through the launch with minimal (or no) wheelspin and then you can go 100% pedal probably without spinning. Then shift normally on the 1-2 shift if you're already traction limited. I suspect on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift you could use the NLS feature without much spin.

At the dragstrip, I've never had good luck with launch control. But under the right conditions on an unprepped street surface, it definitely has the ability to produce a really good launch.

Daily1LE 04-21-2021 12:02 PM

I am no expert, and it's hard to tell for sure from the video, but to me it looks like you are lined up way too far left in the lane before launch. You seem to get centered again right before you shift, but the problem is you are spinning, so when you shift 1-2 the tires gain traction but since you aren't perfectly straight the sudden grip makes the back end kick out.

Make sure to line up dead center with the dark black lines as that is the stickiest part of the track. Some better tires would help too.

wnta1ss 04-22-2021 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daily1LE (Post 10996781)
I am no expert, and it's hard to tell for sure from the video, but to me it looks like you are lined up way too far left in the lane before launch. You seem to get centered again right before you shift, but the problem is you are spinning, so when you shift 1-2 the tires gain traction but since you aren't perfectly straight the sudden grip makes the back end kick out.

Make sure to line up dead center with the dark black lines as that is the stickiest part of the track. Some better tires would help too.

Bingo, OP was way out of the groove (to the left of where he should have been). Agree that you want to line up in the tire tracks, illustration below from the video, yellow arrows that I added are showing the tire tracks.

arpad_m 04-22-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnta1ss (Post 10997246)
Bingo, OP was way out of the groove (to the left of where he should have been). Agree that you want to line up in the tire tracks, illustration below from the video, yellow arrows that I added are showing the tire tracks.

He may have been forced to the left with cones because he has street tires, to protect the ideal tracks for the drag radial folks. Happens all the time at Island Dragway.

wnta1ss 04-22-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 10997281)
He may have been forced to the left with cones because he has street tires, to protect the ideal tracks for the drag radial folks. Happens all the time at Island Dragway.

Ok, I checked the video again and it does seem to have a cone on the right side of his lane that you can see very briefly. So it looks like some dickhead did indeed push him over to the left side and you guessed it, says Island Dragway on the sign too. When I took my Camaro to Atco in 2016, one of the Jersey guys told me that Atco was their best track, then Englishtown was 2nd, then Island was last. Sad that Island might be the only one left for you guys.

Daily1LE 04-22-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 10997281)

Wow yeah looks like you are right, I can see the cone in the start of the video. I have never seen that in my area (IL), so I didn't even know it was a thing! Learn something new everyday.