Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Need help locating bolts - Rear Upper Control Arm (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602988)

dma05 03-04-2022 03:47 PM

Need help locating bolts - Rear Upper Control Arm

I all new bolts to replace when doing my suspension upgrade soon, but it looks like the bolts for the Rear Upper Control Arm at bushing is discontinued. I called GM and ACDelco and they said they don’t have anything listed to replace it, but that it is definitely discontinued.

Anyone have any ideas where to look? ARP?

Here is the GM part number: 92138935

I have the bolt info: M14 x 2 x 60
I’m guessing I just may need to go to my local bolt store and find it?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

gtstorey 03-04-2022 04:17 PM

Reuse the existing with loctite. Mine has been apart multiple times with no issues.

If you buy a bolt from bolt supplier it probably should be at least a grade 10.9. I don't remember if that particular bolt has a flanged head, but that will be particularly hard to find and you may need to get washers.

dma05 03-04-2022 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went to my local bolt store, “King Bolt”, and got the same size bolt but had to get washers. These are 10.9 grade and both bolts were the same cost as 1 GM bolt. Once I get the old ones off, I’ll determine if they need to be replaced or not.

Seems like more and more parts for our 5th Gen’s are being discontinued. Sad.

Omega 03-04-2022 05:05 PM

Hardware store bolts aren't going to last. Goto McMaster Carr, they have exterior grade hardware

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

dma05 03-06-2022 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega (Post 11141735)
Hardware store bolts aren't going to last. Goto McMaster Carr, they have exterior grade hardware

I don't know much about bolts, but if the grade 10.9 matches the factory grade, isn't that the same exterior grade?

Once again, I don't know much about bolts, so I'm looking to understand the difference. Plus, this is a specialized small bolt store I went to, not a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot.

thanks for the help

Omega 03-06-2022 03:01 PM

Grade is the strength, I would go for the "black ultra corrosion resistant - black" basically what the OEM bolts are coated in. The zinc, or usual home Depot hardware will rot out pretty quick

gtstorey 03-06-2022 03:35 PM

It may get slightly rusty but it won’t “rot out” in California.

cdb95z28 03-06-2022 03:37 PM

lol, They are not going to rot out pretty quick. Even if you are in salt, the coating will start to degrade but they won't be junk. The strength, 10.9 is the most important. As gtstorey mentioned, the old ones can certainly be reused along with some Loctite. They are not single use bolts.

dma05 03-06-2022 04:54 PM

Thank you everyone for helping me understand. I guess I didn't think about the coating of the bolt. That's why I love this forum, you learn something new all the time.

hesster 03-07-2022 11:17 AM

In stock here?
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...-bolt-92138935

dma05 03-07-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesster (Post 11142765)

I went to order from there, but their shipping was $18!! So I ordered from Chevy Parts which has the same looking website and it showed available. They wrote me back right away and said they part is not available and won't be. They refunded me as well.

cdb95z28 03-07-2022 01:41 PM

Try gmpartswarehouse.com. Their shipping rates are the most reasonable I have found.

hesster 03-08-2022 07:04 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Keep letting us know your progress my Man.

It can be a frustrating process that tests your patience, and sometimes I just walked away and had a beer.
Or 3.
Then get back at it.

A tip for you I used was to ensure everything was torqued was paint stripes (see 1st image below).

This also allows a sense check every year to assure nothing got loose after beating on it:)

kevint 03-09-2022 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesster (Post 11143077)
Keep letting us know your progress my Man.

It can be a frustrating process that tests your patience, and sometimes I just walked away and had a beer.
Or 3.
Then get back at it.

A tip for you I used was to ensure everything was torqued was paint stripes (see 1st image below).

This also allows a sense check every year to assure nothing got loose after beating on it:)

I also drew a line on the socket so I didn't have to remove the gun to check.