CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   Is it Possible To Mod Into An Active Exhaust?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577773)

kreh 06-27-2020 05:11 PM

Is it Possible To Mod Into An Active Exhaust??

So I have been looking to buy a V6 Camaro, used off of CarGurus and it is very hard to find one with an active exhaust or NPP, and if I do find one with it, chances are it doesn’t meet my other requirements for the car. The exhaust system I am planning to get has a variation compatible with NPP, is there a way I can mod the car to have controllable valves? And if so, how would It work, I know if the model of the car I get doesn’t come stock with the NPP, there is no controller for it in the center system.:bonk::bonk:

Joker75 06-27-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kreh (Post 10818715)
So I have been looking to buy a V6 Camaro, used off of CarGurus and it is very hard to find one with an active exhaust or NPP, and if I do find one with it, chances are it doesn’t meet my other requirements for the car. The exhaust system I am planning to get has a variation compatible with NPP, is there a way I can mod the car to have controllable valves? And if so, how would It work, I know if the model of the car I get doesn’t come stock with the NPP, there is no controller for it in the center system.:bonk::bonk:

There are remote switches, that people have wired in, to be able to disable the NPP, causing it to stay open. This would allow you to choose between full open, and full closed, but would be controlled manually.

If you are wanting the system to be controlled automatically, like the cars equipped with it from the factory, I would assume you are looking at reprogramming the head unit, at minimum, if not replacing it.

You would also need to run the wiring, as well as purchase the NPP valve bodies and motors, for either setup to work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kairles 07-04-2020 08:23 PM

If the car has NPP you can change exhaust modes independently.

cellsafemode 07-05-2020 09:41 AM

Npp compatible exhaust systems don't come with actuators... They reuse the factory ones.

You can get wireless or wired cutouts /valves but they may not be directly compatible with exhausts meant for factory npp. Some modding may be required.

Tuning npp in to factory hmi is probably possible but nobody has done it or offers such service. Generic wireless cutouts use a little fob.

HCI2000SS 07-05-2020 09:44 AM

I'm curious how much something like this would cost all said and done. It might not be worth it in the end

arpad_m 07-05-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kreh (Post 10818715)

If you want infotainment integration, buy an NPP car even if you're.planning to mod, that part can't be retrofitted. The behavior of the controller itself (when and how much to open the valves in each driving mode) can be easily tuned with HP Tuners, there have been a few posts here as well, look for those posted by KingLT1, he's the man.

As others said, NPP compatible third party exhausts reuse the actuator hardware. You can also buy "mild to wild" style solutions that give you a separate remote independent of the factory infotainment, although reading your post I think you would probably prefer the integration. Not sure what your other requirements about the car are, but I'd compromise on aspects that can be modded in later.

Bumbleboy92 07-05-2020 03:52 PM

So I went into a whole research mode a while back about this.

The first idea I thought of is have some motors and wire it to a switch or wireless switch in the cabin for fully open or fully closed, essentially not using the OEM actuators. This could still be an option but I stopped looking into it for other mods.

Second idea was the Mild2Wild controllers but that’s shot down as you have to already have NPP to use those. Then there’s the fuse pull but that’s the same where you already have to have the option to do it.

The biggest rabbit hole I found was from the Corvette forums by a user named Theta. The corvette went from a vacuum NPP to the actuators before us and they still use the same actuators I believe. Literally the same actuator is used, Theta went into great detail on reverse engineering it and I believe all the information is there in the thread. A few members of the Corvette forum tested and used his system from what the posts say, little hiccups came about but not many actual systems were sold to the crowd. Sadly, Theta seems to have gone MIA years back and some assume the worst. It is sad but the idea and engineering behind it was amazing. I’m sure someone who can understand electrical engineering bits can probably do it and make sense but I can not. In my search, there’s one post from someone who has a video that shows he got the actuator to work with his own setup but he never responded to calls to show how he did.

So yes it’s possible, imo if you don’t understand what Theta was doing then your best bet is the motors wired up in option 1.