CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - New England (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Anyone in Rhode Island? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556575)

sav03cobra 06-16-2019 10:46 PM

Anyone in Rhode Island?

Moving from Guam to Rhode Island within the next few months.

Wondering how many people are crazy enough to own a Camaro in the North East? Any tips? Recommendations?

TBH, I am kind of nervous to go from Summer all year round to much different weather.

Joshinator99 06-17-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sav03cobra (Post 10546334)
Moving from Guam to Rhode Island within the next few months.

Wondering how many people are crazy enough to own a Camaro in the North East? Any tips? Recommendations?

TBH, I am kind of nervous to go from Summer all year round to much different weather.

I’m next state north (Massachusetts), but I only drive mine in nice weather. I put it away for the winter right before any salt goes on the road and take it back out late spring when the roads are clean. If you can afford to have a different vehicle to daily drive, that’s obviously the best option. That said, if I had to daily my 2SS, I would get a set of inexpensive base model stock wheels and run dedicated winter tires on them. Makes a massive difference come winter time!

ddanj 06-17-2019 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup. I daily mine and just switch to winter wheels around Thanksgiving and back to summer wheels around Easter.

If the roads still have more than 3" snow down, I stay at home.

I bought 18" take-offs from eBay and had winter tires mounted.

Winter tires make a huge difference in sub freezing temps and slippery conditions.

closs2sx 06-17-2019 12:51 PM

drove a 2004 gto 6spd manual through nh winters daily no problems at all with dunlop winter sport 3s back then I don't daily my Z06 or my ZL1 1LE (they don't see rain or snow) but it can be done very easy with a good set of winter tires

Evil-Bee-NH 06-17-2019 03:04 PM

I Daily mine sun, rain, snow even sleet a few times I have a set of separate wheels and winter tires and I've never had an issue you just need to adjust your driving deepest snow I've driven in was probably 6 to 7" I was plowing a little bit it's amazing how well these cars do in snow. The stigma may be those really bad winter drivers who still can't manage with an SUV and Winter Tires though lol.

sav03cobra 06-17-2019 06:42 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Makes me feel a little more better. I will still probably get a second vehicle with AWD or 4x4, but good knowing that in a clutch or if my wife has the other vehicle that its manageable.

How about salt on the roads? How's our undercarriages holding up? Do you guys go through a touch-less wash with undercarriage spray?

Thanks!

4824guy 06-17-2019 08:11 PM

I am from RI but just got my Gen6 in Feb. I have another vehicle that I use for rain and snow days. I wouldn't use the new car when there is road salt during the winter months if I had another older vehicle available. I would say that there would be salt on the roadway here starting sometime late Nov or early Dec into March.

I am not sure if your 2ss has summer only tires, so driving in New England would be another problem when the temperature gets at the recommend cutoff point for that tire.

sav03cobra 06-18-2019 06:19 AM

On another note. How hard is RI emissions and safety inspection? My car has headers w/o cats and stock NPP exhaust.

My Guam plates will still be good until Feb 2020. Can I keep those for now?

sav03cobra 06-19-2019 05:52 PM

Bump...

4824guy 06-19-2019 08:30 PM

You might be able to get plate info at the DMV.ri.gov official web site. THey have a FAQ section that might have the info there.

As far as emissions testing goes, I wouldn't know if that would pass or not without the cats. I would not be able to comment with any real knowledge of the emission levels needed to pass.

sav03cobra 10-17-2019 09:11 AM

I finally made it here. Found a place in Portsmouth to live. :) If you see me, I am the Garnet red Camaro with gold wheels.

Evil-Bee-NH 10-17-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sav03cobra (Post 10642376)
I finally made it here. Found a place in Portsmouth to live. :) If you see me, I am the Garnet red Camaro with gold wheels.

Nice welcome to the northeast cult. If your bored and don't mind a drive a few of us will be going to New England Dragway in Epping, NH this Sunday 9am to 4pm spectators are $10, racers are $40.

sav03cobra 10-18-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 10642746)
Nice welcome to the northeast cult. If your bored and don't mind a drive a few of us will be going to New England Dragway in Epping, NH this Sunday 9am to 4pm spectators are $10, racers are $40.

Thanks for the offer, I would love to. However, the family and I are behind for Halloween costumes and pumpkin carving. Family is going to take priority this time.