CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Paint hardness (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552038)

70chevelleSS 04-12-2019 02:10 PM

Paint hardness

Guys who are into paint correction and the like- how "hard" or "soft" would you consider our paint. Variations between colors?

My Camaro (2017, black) seems to have moderately soft paint. Nowhere nearly as soft as some Japanese cars I have worked on, but not what I would consider "hard".

My Silverado, however has pretty hard paint. It can be a pain and requires more aggressive compound than my Camaro.

What are you experiences with late model GM paint (especially the gen 6 Camaros)

Glen e 04-12-2019 02:12 PM

My camaro's ('13 & '16) are Kinda in the middle, not honda soft, but not benz hard either....

lgarrison34 04-12-2019 02:13 PM

The paint on these cars is rather soft and chips pretty easily.

Tyl3r 04-12-2019 02:13 PM

My 8K mile black Camaro has more chips than my 60K mile Honda. The Camaro paint is absolute sh!t.

bobby35ny 04-12-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgarrison34 (Post 10488760)
The paint on these cars is rather soft and chips pretty easily.

Just the opposite, hard paint is more brittle therefore chips easier.
Camaro paint is pretty hard. not on the soft side that's for sure. The carbon black plastic stuff is real soft be careful.
If you paint is in good shape, Perfect finish with a rupes yellow pad does wonders. If that doesn't do it, Go right to cutmax or jescar correcting compound and a MF pad.

70chevelleSS 04-12-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby35ny (Post 10488765)
Camaro paint is pretty hard. not on the soft side that's for sure. The carbon black plastic stuff is real soft be careful.

I was about to say the same thing.

Not sure how I have managed to go 25k miles in 2 years and the only paint chips on my car are on my aftermarket bodyshop painted front splitter.

70chevelleSS 04-12-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

If you paint is in good shape, Perfect finish with a rupes yellow pad does wonders. If that doesn't do it, Go right to cutmax or jescar correcting compound and a MF pad.

Perfect finish is great stuff. But then again, anything made by Sonax is good.

My go to’s are Sonax perfect finish and/or CarPro Essence.. depending on the car and the goal.
3D one is good as well. Cuts a bit more than PF but does not finish as well IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirkH 04-12-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl3r (Post 10488762)
My 8K mile black Camaro has more chips than my 60K mile Honda. The Camaro paint is absolute sh!t.

The mosaic black sucks. I didn't have any problems with nightfall grey.

KirkH 04-12-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

My opinion is that the clear coat is pretty soft, it mars and corrects very easily. The paint however is hard and brittle.

bobby35ny 04-12-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkH (Post 10488859)
My opinion is that the clear coat is pretty soft, it mars and corrects very easily. The paint however is hard and brittle.

Not my experience at all, I had 4 Camaros so far and they are a bitch to correct. Maybe the FL sun bakes the paint more, LOL

70chevelleSS 04-17-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby35ny (Post 10488900)
Not my experience at all, I had 4 Camaros so far and they are a bitch to correct. Maybe the FL sun bakes the paint more, LOL

Fellow Sunshine state native here!

My 6th gen (black) seems to be a bit more difficult to correct than my fifth gen is (also black). I don't have a paint depth meter. Has anyone gotten any depth readings on the paint? I assume the clear is pretty thin.

bobby35ny 04-17-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70chevelleSS (Post 10493021)
Fellow Sunshine state native here!

My 6th gen (black) seems to be a bit more difficult to correct than my fifth gen is (also black). I don't have a paint depth meter. Has anyone gotten any depth readings on the paint? I assume the clear is pretty thin.

I have a meter. I also have screwups too. LOL. Paint is heavy. Clear is THIN for sure!

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

70chevelleSS 04-17-2019 10:24 AM

When you say screwups, do you mean you’ve Burned the clear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quix 04-17-2019 01:49 PM

What I've noticed the most on my Garnet Red car is that the paint is a lot thicker than the Mazda 3 I used to own. This means that minor rock chips don't normally make it all the way to bare metal like they did on the Mazda. I guess that's better, but Mazdas have notoriously easy to damage paint.