CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   LIfts for your Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501123)

Atomic Ed 07-10-2017 06:13 PM

LIfts for your Camaro

I have a nice shop that I'm retiring into in a year or so and I'm trying to figure out what type of lift to get to work on my car. I keep going back to these two:

MaxJack

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/buy-purcha...d-package.html

Pros to me are this lifts higher (about waist high) and has more weight capacity. The other one I'm looking at is:

QuickJack:

http://www.quickjacklift.ca/

This one is very portable, easier to set up, but only lifts about 18" off the ground. It can be used outside the shop with a 12v power pack.

I do need something that I can break down and move out of the way mainly due to all of the projects going on and to maximize floor space.

Anybody have experience with these? Any other ideas? Head room is not a problem.

LSmith353 07-10-2017 07:08 PM

I have the Quick Jack and like it. It is portable to a degree but they guy they show toting one in each hand -- well let's say he would definitely beat me in arm wrestling. It takes several hours to assemble, but once complete, you don't have to fool with it again. If my shop were larger, I would have gone for a 2 post system, but there isn't much you can't do with this one.

Jsreo 07-10-2017 09:00 PM

I have a quickjack BL500SLX & had use a dremmel to modify underside of the car a little because the factory jack points quite didn't line up with the jack correctly.

After doing that the lift works perfectly & stores out of the way against a wall when not on use. The frames do have wheels on one end do you do not actually have to pick them all the way up

KS1LE 07-10-2017 09:12 PM

I looked at both of these as well and bought the Quick Jack. Only had it for 4 months but really do like how portable it is.

I can have the car in the air in just a few minutes.

Skeeter 07-10-2017 09:25 PM

Lift for Camaro

I just wrestled with this decision myself. I really liked the Max unit myself because of its portability, but did not want to drill holes in my shop floor, and don't know that I really trust the 2 post lifts. And on top of that I have a range of vehicle weights to contend with. A Toyota Tundra CrewMax, a 86 Mustang SVO, 97 Mazda Miata (destined to become V8 powered very shortly, and a 2002 turbo beetle, in addition to my 2017 2SS convertible. To better suit my needs, especially with regard to the upcoming Miata build, I bought a 4 post lift/storage unit. I purchased a 9000# Overlift from BackYard Buddy. I just received notice from BYB that the lift will ship from their Warren, Ohio facility the week of July 23rd. I'm really looking forward to getting it in and installed. I'll post pics when it's installed

Egon 07-10-2017 11:06 PM

The Quickjack looks good if you need the portability, but considering you also have a 2 post lift listed there I don't think that's really a concern for you. I wanted to get lift in my garage when we moved to NC, but the garage ceiling is too low for my dream 4 post lift. :( This has caused me to do a lot of searching for an alternative to that and I found this from Bendpak, the MD6-XP. Its a mid lift and the price is right in between the two units you listed. It is also slightly portable in that you can move it around in your garage or out into the driveway. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...ts/md-6xp.aspx Bendpak makes a whole bunch of other lifts and lift types check them out they are an extremely well regarded brand.

Mlbraptor 07-10-2017 11:35 PM

I have the Bendpak. It works great.

01pewterz28 07-11-2017 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My buddy picked up this one out of Minnesota made in the USA cost was $2900 shipped. I am going to order one for the garage. He spend 3 months doing research and found this one.

This is super nice lots of extra goodies at no cost.

trboxman 07-11-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egon (Post 9812204)
The Quickjack looks good if you need the portability, but considering you also have a 2 post lift listed there I don't think that's really a concern for you. I wanted to get lift in my garage when we moved to NC, but the garage ceiling is too low for my dream 4 post lift. :( This has caused me to do a lot of searching for an alternative to that and I found this from Bendpak, the MD6-XP. Its a mid lift and the price is right in between the two units you listed. It is also slightly portable in that you can move it around in your garage or out into the driveway. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...ts/md-6xp.aspx Bendpak makes a whole bunch of other lifts and lift types check them out they are an extremely well regarded brand.

Bendpak makes the Quickjack....

Atomic Ed 07-11-2017 10:40 AM

Thanks guys for all of your input so far. Great input, but still a tough decision. I have a 30' by 30' shop with only one centered 12' by 12' roll up door. So installing a fixed lift makes it tough to move project cars around.

I've looked at the Bendpack scissor lift, but it seem to be restrictive due to the cross bracing for doing any work under the car, such as transmission pulls or exhaust work. Is this true?

I like the easy setup or the QuickJack, but the lift height seems to be its main negative point. Working on a creeper isn't a problem for me but I can't see pulling a major item out from under the car. Any thoughts on this issue?

The MaxJack isn't a full size 2 post, but lifts tall enough (4ft). My issue with it is that you have to bolt/unbolt 10 floor bolts each time to pull it out of the way.

There are single post lifts out there that can be rolled to a corner for storage, but I'm somewhat leary of this setup.

https://www.eagleequip.com/blog/2014...n-mobile-lift/

Still looking for a perfect answer.

Egon 07-11-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trboxman (Post 9812700)
Bendpak makes the Quickjack....

I have always wanted a Bendpak lift and saw the Quickjack on their website for the first time once I realized the 4 post was not an option in my garage. Bendpak also makes several other non portable lifts that work in a similar fashion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic Ed (Post 9812796)
Thanks guys for all of your input so far. Great input, but still a tough decision. I have a 30' by 30' shop with only one centered 12' by 12' roll up door. So installing a fixed lift makes it tough to move project cars around.

I've looked at the Bendpack scissor lift, but it seem to be restrictive due to the cross bracing for doing any work under the car, such as transmission pulls or exhaust work. Is this true?

I like the easy setup or the QuickJack, but the lift height seems to be its main negative point. Working on a creeper isn't a problem for me but I can't see pulling a major item out from under the car. Any thoughts on this issue?

The MaxJack isn't a full size 2 post, but lifts tall enough (4ft). My issue with it is that you have to bolt/unbolt 10 floor bolts each time to pull it out of the way.

There is a single post lifts out there that can be rolled to a corner for storage, but I'm somewhat leary of this setup.

There shouldn't be any access issues under the car unless you are needing to get to something right in the middle of the vehicle. Take a look at the pictures from this Corvette forum post to get an idea. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-no-56k.html The MD-6XP gives full access under the engine and rear suspension, the only thing you would likely have an issue with is if you are installing an H/X pipe exhaust down the central driveshaft tunnel. (look at the pics it still looks like it wouldn't be that hard) The entire unit can be moved around to where you need it or a car can just be parked over it.

Tr6 07-11-2017 11:37 AM

MaxJax and quickjack are great for small ish and not too important work on cars. They are great considering they do not cost too much and also are portable.

If your garage is capable... I would personally suggest getting a 4 post lift that also has 4 point jacks (addon or built in). I have an 800 sqf and 11 ft ceiling garage. I was going to get MaxJax so I can just bolt it to the ground whenever I need to use it and just roll it into a corner when I am not going to use it but then doing research and a couple friends actually went and got 4 post with 4 jack lifts and let me tell you... IF your garage can handle it, it is so worth the extra $ to go get.

The pros of quickjack: Portable, doesn't take much or any space really (my detailer has quickjack). Takes the car up about 5-6 ft off the ground, allowing you to take off wheels and all without bending down too much or just doing it while sitting in a chair.

The pros maxjax, portable, slightly higher ground clearance vs the quickjack and most importantly 100% access under the car whereas you don't get that with quickjack (read below). But pretty much the same use/pros and quickjack.

Both of their pros are the prices. They are super cheap vs an actual lift. What I plan on getting is about 4k installed. It's 3 times more expensive but has a lot more uses to it. Which are... you can park 2 cars in the space of 1. MUCH easier to work on the car since you just walk under it. Much more safe and stable vs others. And hell, the addons are amazing. Some are ready for you to convert into an alignment rack if you really wanna go crazy haha :P.

So basically... it comes down to, how much would you like to spend, what do you really will be using it for and also, will you be more comfortable working standing up or sitting down or laying down?

If you really don't want to bother with the 4 post + 4 jack ones, I would really only go with MaxJax. Not because quickjack is terrible, but because quickjack = scissor lift which makes it be in the way of being able to work 100% under the car whereas Maxjack, lifts up for the sides and you can just sit or slide under the car and have 100% access which to me is the ENTIRE point of having a lift.

LibertyHill 07-11-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic Ed (Post 9812796)
There are single post lifts out there that can be rolled to a corner for storage, but I'm somewhat leary of this setup.

I don't think there is a perfect answer. The single post is interesting - didn't know they existed.

Friends just bought the MN lift above with the jacks and it's very nice. I can see the benefits and disadvantages compared to my Eagle 2-post asymmetric.

Atomic Ed 07-12-2017 09:48 AM

I pondered last night on all of your inputs and took some measurements again. While I would love to have a four post, my shop just isn't configured to put one in. I only have one roll up door and it would have to set it basically in line with it, effectively blocking access to the rest of the shop for other vehicles. Should have put in two small roll ups instead of one big one.

The Bendpack scissor lift was a good suggestion, but after seeing a YouTube on what you can and can't do with it, I'm passing on it. No open access to the tranny.

The QuickJack just doesn't lift high enough for on-going shop use.

That leaves me with either the MaxJack or a single point lift. After some measuring, I think I found a sweet spot where I can at least leave one of the MaxJack posts in place most of the time and reducing breakdown/setup to only one post. Still looking at the single post, but it takes up a lot floor space.

There is a perfect answer: Add an extension to the shop! :D I broached this idea with the S.O. and she just rolled her eyes......that's a yes, go ahead,....isn't it??

Thanks again all, this was very helpful.