CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Throttle response vs different drive modes (not ptm) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554014)

Jonnydz 05-08-2019 04:47 PM

Throttle response vs different drive modes (not ptm)

Is there any hard data as to the throttle response (mapping, progression, ect) for the different drive modes? I have searched here and read all the ptm and dive mode articles with nothing really standing out. Some say sport and touring are the same and the most linear. Some say track is more linear but only after 30 to 40%. I think most of these are just seat of the pants numbers.

Scargoes 05-08-2019 04:59 PM

I read an article where Randy Pobst talked about this and his discussion with the Chevy engineers. According to what Randy said, Track mode it Linear while Tour and Sport are Progressive. He talked about his complaint to the engineers that when on track and at the limit, having a progressive throttle response was upsetting the car. So they changed the programming for Track mode and he said it was easier to drive at the limit.

I'll look for the article again and post it if I find it. Or maybe it was in one of his videos. I spent a year researching between the 3 'pony' cars and renting for the weekend to make up my mind when buying my 1LE. I don't remember off hand exactly where I saw it.

Boost Creep 05-08-2019 05:03 PM

The seat of my pants say that "Tour" and "Sport" have exaggerated throttle response while "Track" and all related PTM modes have, what I guess you would call, linear throttle response.

TRZ06 05-08-2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost Creep (Post 10513643)
The seat of my pants say that "Tour" and "Sport" have exaggerated throttle response while "Track" and all related PTM modes have, what I guess you would call, linear throttle response.

THIS!!

In track mode or any of the PTM modes, in order to get anywhere near full throttle response, you need that pedal to its last bit of travel.

I hated it at first , coming from my M3 with a very sensitive pedal and along with the boost, but you get used to it and after you get used to it, it suits this car's nature well.

NickyRacerBoy 05-08-2019 09:18 PM

Ah...dont care..I am 100% tps everywhere hehe

Chris C 1SS 1LE 05-09-2019 08:06 AM

Can't tell any difference though I just leave it in sport and all options set to auto by mode. If that makes sense. Mostly just like the way it sounds. Auditory mana...

Jonnydz 05-09-2019 08:57 AM

Scargoes I would love to see that info. Hope u can find it. Thanks

JeromeS13 05-09-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnydz (Post 10514232)
Scargoes I would love to see that info. Hope u can find it. Thanks

"Don't just take it from me. "In the aggressive driving modes, such as Sport and Track, the throttle actually opens more slowly to get more control. That's necessary when the tires are near the cornering limit," our on-call pro racer, Randy Pobst, says. We often have the manufacturers' engineers out to watch us lap their cars. Sometimes they even listen to what we have to say. Especially Randy. "Chevy engineers gave me credit for suggesting that. And I think it's fantastic. I have long believed that a more aggressive throttle opening in sport modes is a bad idea because it makes the driver less smooth. I am flattered.""

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...e-squad-goals/

mjk3888 05-09-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost Creep (Post 10513643)

This is exactly what I feel too.

Gasoline_Farts 05-09-2019 10:12 AM

Everyone is talking about throttle application and ignoring the even more significant decel lag.

Put it in your, accelerating in first to 3500rpm, let off the throttle abruptly and you continue maintaining acceleration for a second or so before the car starts to slow (bad drivers tend to be on and off throttle rather than maintaining and this smooths out their inputs and saves gas)

Do the same thing in track and you start decelerating RIGHT when you lift the throttle. I only use track mode specifically because I can’t stand the coasting delay.

GTSLOW 05-09-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts (Post 10514315)
Everyone is talking about throttle application and ignoring the even more significant decel lag.

Put it in your, accelerating in first to 3500rpm, let off the throttle abruptly and you continue maintaining acceleration for a second or so before the car starts to slow (bad drivers tend to be on and off throttle rather than maintaining and this smooths out their inputs and saves gas)

Do the same thing in track and you start decelerating RIGHT when you lift the throttle. I only use track mode specifically because I can’t stand the coasting delay.

I always wondered what that bizarre almost in gear mini blip was after letting off the throttle.

R3ctivision 05-09-2019 02:10 PM

I also sense that strange mini blip after abrupt lift off the throttle. Interestingly, I don't think track mode is quite linear enough. The last 20% of the throttle provides a massive jump in torque I think.

mjk3888 05-09-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3ctivision (Post 10514598)
I also sense that strange mini blip after abrupt lift off the throttle. Interestingly, I don't think track mode is quite linear enough. The last 20% of the throttle provides a massive jump in torque I think.

I do feel that too. Seems like a linear feel from 0-75% throttle using 0-95% pedal. Then the last 95-100% of pedal feels like it ramps from 75-100% throttle.

Boost Creep 05-09-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTSLOW (Post 10514351)
I always wondered what that bizarre almost in gear mini blip was after letting off the throttle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3ctivision (Post 10514598)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjk3888 (Post 10514681)
I do feel that too. Seems like a linear feel from 0-75% throttle using 0-95% pedal. Then the last 95-100% of pedal feels like it ramps from 75-100% throttle.

I wonder if that's what I noticed as you decel.
Car's in third or fourth gear, let off the accel pedal and the car goes into decel fuel cut-off for a few seconds, then goes out of cut-off momentarily, then right back into cut-off.
Watching instantaneous fuel mileage you can see it jump from 99mpg to 30something then back to 99mpg all on it's own.