CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Took my 93 yr old grandpa for a ride today! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497778)

12SilverBulletSS 06-08-2017 10:45 PM

Took my 93 yr old grandpa for a ride today!

So I went to visit my grandpa today. He is all alone as my grandmother passed a few years ago. While I was over there listening to the same ole stories that don't get old, he said he wanted to go eat.

He walks outside and says that is not your car (I had already told him I got a new car lol). I said, it is a little low and tight and he didn't skip a beat when he said he "I can fit" with the confidence of a young child who won't be talked out of it.

So we pull out and he starts talking about some old cars he owned (I peg it a few times where he becomes momentarily quiet). We get to the restaurant and I park so he can open the door all the way up to get out and I shut the car off. He does a double take here and then asks "there is no key?". I said no grandpa, there is no key.

Now he is baffled a little and then goes on "how much horse power does it have?". 455 hp grandpa. He is shocked by this as well and goes onto talk about when ford came out with the V8 and begin quoting hp numbers for the first three years of production and none of them are above a 100 hp lol. He is a car guy so he knows performance and can talk about the early days of hotrodding for hours.

I told him about the traction control and PTM and he continues to be amazed at the progress cars have made during his lifetime. I was glad to have the opportunity to spend the day and show him the evolution of cars and the technology available in cars today. Just wanted to share that with you all.

DenverTaco07 06-08-2017 10:52 PM

very cool!

Smashn808 06-08-2017 11:05 PM

That's awesome.

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 06-08-2017 11:16 PM

....:thumbup:

.......:w00t:

:becky:
Becky

12SilverBulletSS 06-08-2017 11:17 PM

Yeah, he is a hoot. Still very sharp and active for his age. We always talk about his time serving on the USS Enterprise during WWII, his machinist days (he taught my father), and of course early hotrodding.

TJay74 06-09-2017 12:14 AM

Cherish that moment with your Grandpa. My dad retired from GM, I used his discount to buy my 1LE this year. He had surgery 3/1 of this year and had multiple complications that never allowed him out of the hospital.

My Dad passed away this Monday night at 11:35p and never got to ride in my 1LE and only got to see it once from a distance. It is hard how this simple experience would have meant the world to me right now.

12SilverBulletSS 06-09-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJay74 (Post 9766044)
Cherish that moment with your Grandpa. My dad retired from GM, I used his discount to buy my 1LE this year. He had surgery 3/1 of this year and had multiple complications that never allowed him out of the hospital.

My Dad passed away this Monday night at 11:35p and never got to ride in my 1LE and only got to see it once from a distance. It is hard how this simple experience would have meant the world to me right now.

I am sorry for your loss of your father. I know it is not the same, but my grandfather means a lot to me and I will be heart broken when he rejoins my grandmother. That is a funeral I will fly from Abu Dhabi for and put on my uniform.

Today was a special day for me and I look forward to the next time I can make it over to see him.

Sub 06-09-2017 11:08 PM

Awesome post, thanks for sharing..

This is why were all here - experiences and the joy a sports car can give! You dont live for ever, enjoy life guys.

Michigan1LTRS 06-10-2017 06:17 AM

Indeed cherish these times. Very special. I'm sure the smile on your grandpa's face after you left was a mile wide.

SSSHYBOY 06-10-2017 07:34 AM

Really touching story... Talk about touching moments, 93 year olds and hot rods.. I had the great pleasure of getting Ed Iskendarian ( 93 at the time) a ride in the only B24 ( combat) still flying. Ed served on a B24 during the war and he was thrilled. I reminded him that I had one of his cams in a 283 Chevy engine in 1959...

bub 06-12-2017 10:01 PM

Great story.

After reading this, I just realized that the "original" USS Enterprise was a WWII carrier. I'd always associated that name with the nuclear class carrier launched in 1960...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._United_States

mig7410 06-13-2017 10:38 AM

Thats really cool. I take my 93 year old mom to breakfast in mine. My dad always bought her cool cars. Her last one was a Infiniti G37 Coupe. Back in the late 50's she had a T-Bird and in the late 60's a GTO.
But anyway everytime we get in the Hyper blue Camaro she comments on how good looking it is. The first time we drove in we have to go down a big hill and when I let off the gas the car make those cool burbles sounds. And my mom says to me, "This car really talks to you"..lol

FlowForm_Wheels 06-13-2017 10:49 AM

Awesome! :w00t:

keon718nyc 06-13-2017 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some of you guys/gals are lucky that your grandparents get to go out and enjoy something like this, I would give anything to get my grandpa back but it been about 8 years since he passed. I will never forget though the days back in the 80's he took me out in the old school 85' Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Coupe d'Elegance to go fishing at the pier in Pompano Beach Florida. Felt like a tank as well as a large boat of a car. Was awesome driving in it and always wondered how the hell he parked so well. Cherish those moments of you grandfathers and grandmothers driving in your new cars, it really most be like a blessing to them to see such new technology they may never experience again. Great post OP!