CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Side Skirt Recommendation (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555561)

GAOLDGUY 06-01-2019 04:39 PM

Side Skirt Recommendation

I'm trying to minimize paint damage from my wheels / tires. I have an SS 1LE so the 285/30/20s on the front and the 305/30/20s on the read throw up a good bit of debris. I would like to put the Supercar 3s back on but they are pretty sticky and really make a mess. I've installed the ZL1Addons rock guards and they seem to help. I am primarily concernted now about the area in front of the rear wheels where the fronts throw rocks that miss the rock guards. I was considering side skirts and I started at ZL1Addons because I have purchased a number of items from them and have always been pleased. (1) What type of side skirts do you have? (2) Do they seem to block most of the objects from my problem area in front of the rear wheels? (3) Was the installation easy?

Chris C 1SS 1LE 06-07-2019 08:47 AM

I have C7 Carbon. They may help that area some. If I could redo I'd have that area coated. Skirts alone don't cut it but likely help. YMMV.

gpskinzhut 06-07-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE (Post 10538521)
I have C7 Carbon. They may help that area some. If I could redo I'd have that area coated. Skirts alone don't cut it but likely help. YMMV.

Nah, mine still got all nicked up. Need to Xpel it and/or put on something like ZL1 Add-ons rock guards.

Chris C 1SS 1LE 06-08-2019 08:31 PM

Have those too...

Blackmonba6Gen 06-12-2019 12:55 PM

I have the C7 Carbon ZL1 Side skirts as well. I really liked them. I was on the track a month ago and got off course a little bit and mud didnt get on the side of the car at all. I want to say the side skirts helped out since it was majority underneath. I have seen the ACS Composites in person and didnt care for them. I've also got mines XPEL wrapped so the Carbon Fiber can remain in tact with no rock chips.

ssmike 06-12-2019 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the American Authority ZL1 style side skirts and they seem to help reduce the debris hitting that area in front of the rear wheels as you described. Although mine has the stock width SS 245 tires up front so I'm probably not kicking up as much as you are. I like the AA sideskirts and they're a fairly inexpensive alternative to the others. They came already painted gloss black but as with all AA products sometimes the fit and finish are not the greatest. I lucked out with mine and only had a minor fit problem on the drivers side which I resolved.

Edit: forgot to answer #3, the install is super easy! Just make sure to use rivets as well as the screws that come with them.

RLem619 06-13-2019 12:24 AM

Just received the American Authority ZL1 style skirts and did all the prep work and painted Satin Black today.

ssmike: did you install yours with the tape, or goop? Most of the installs i've seen end up going with the tape. Eric at AA still recommends the Goop.

ssmike 06-13-2019 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLem619 (Post 10543287)
Just received the American Authority ZL1 style skirts and did all the prep work and painted Satin Black today.

ssmike: did you install yours with the tape, or goop? Most of the installs i've seen end up going with the tape. Eric at AA still recommends the Goop.

Not sure what the Goop is. I used the tape and it’s been fine for a year now. I just made sure I prepped both surfaces well.

Chris C 1SS 1LE 06-15-2019 09:30 AM

I used rivets. I'd not use tape. See sledges YouTube install video.

z28pat 06-15-2019 08:27 PM

I’m interested, now do these seal against the body to avoid stuff/water getting trapped in there ?

Bro_Im_Ramon 06-18-2019 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE (Post 10545222)
I used rivets. I'd not use tape. See sledges YouTube install video.

i got the c7 skirts on the way ... i heard hardware is not included can you point me in the direction of rivets to use please.. thanks

Chris C 1SS 1LE 06-22-2019 09:31 AM

Rivets and screws included with mine. Star style rivets are much better than provided and my body shop (Goldy's in Tucson) put one on on each side at same place I couldn't get to bite. Know a shop? I'd ask them. In fact I'd probably pay to have installed next time though mine are spot on it was a PITA on jacks on garage floor. You'll like the look and may I suggest some rock guards though maybe not as critical since you are not 1LE. Enjoy sir!