CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   ZL1 Exhaust on an SS (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560107)

Spartan268 08-12-2019 11:34 AM

ZL1 Exhaust on an SS

Hi All,

Locally I found a decent deal on a ZL1 Borla Atak system. It's so far the cheapest I found considering my location and taxes but I learned it was for a ZL1.

1. Can I put this on my SS? I've been doing some digging and it seems like it's possible but there will be some major torque loss?

My plan in the future is to go FBO with 1 7/8 headers and the whole works. At the moment I only have a Rotofab to start. I plan on building slowly. Would it still be a bad idea?

2. How's stealth mode?

This is more general. I might need to get the Borla resonator added in after the fact once the headers go in. But is it livable once headers are on?

Spartan268 08-27-2019 12:38 PM

Bumping before I lose the deal

VinnAY 08-27-2019 12:43 PM

I can't fathom why exhaust is specific to a ZL1 than an SS as far as mounting locations and such but stranger things have happened.

lgarrison34 08-27-2019 12:50 PM

ZL1 systems are 3 inches. SS is 2.75 but there is no reason you can't get a 3 inch system to work with an SS. Especially if you plan on going with headers, you will have to tune anyway. Go for it.

Umbriel 08-27-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgarrison34 (Post 10606936)
ZL1 systems are 3 inches. SS is 2.75 but there is no reason you can't get a 3 inch system to work with an SS. Especially if you plan on going with headers, you will have to tune anyway. Go for it.

This, and you aren't going to lose any torque that is a myth. I have 3 inch AWE catback on my SS right now.

cmeJATT 08-27-2019 01:26 PM

it will work fine.

oldman 08-27-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgarrison34 (Post 10606936)

Is it really? The header is the same for sure, the Zl1 front cats are slightly different. I never checked the rest of the exhaust. Just interested to know.

oslouie 08-27-2019 04:13 PM

It'll work. I found a member (Ryephile) who switched out his SS exhaust in place of a ZL1 exhaust due to an accident. My main concern was fit but here's his response:

If anything, the ZL1 exhaust fits the SS bumper valance better. There's less gap between the exhaust tips and the valance cut-outs. I'd definitely recommend it if you can score a ZL1 cat-back. There's zero change in weight or exhaust note, just the tips.

Spartan268 08-27-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oslouie (Post 10607148)
It'll work. I found a member (Ryephile) who switched out his SS exhaust in place of a ZL1 exhaust due to an accident. My main concern was fit but here's his response:

If anything, the ZL1 exhaust fits the SS bumper valance better. There's less gap between the exhaust tips and the valance cut-outs. I'd definitely recommend it if you can score a ZL1 cat-back. There's zero change in weight or exhaust note, just the tips.

Thanks all. I pulled the trigger on the local deal :D Can't wait to get it hooked up

oldman 08-29-2019 01:15 PM

so is it really 3".. just asking

oldman 09-01-2019 01:43 PM

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492005

Looks like a stock SS system, maybe the tips are bigger. I just calibrated my eyeballs and this does not look 3" to me.

The two gaskets 4 and 5 are the same size for all V8s I think the ID is 2.25" (from memory), so CLEARY no exhaust is bigger at at that point.
https://www.gmpartsdirectonline.com/...ust-components

Catalytic Converter GasketExhaust Pipe Gasket
Catalytic Converter Gasket, Right

6.2 LITER

Catalytic Converter ClampConverter & Pipe Clamp
Catalytic Converter Clamp, Left

6.2 LITER

So until shown otherwise, this Zl1 exhaust may give you bigger tips.

Nutshell AFAIK the ZL1 has a slightly different shape driver's side converter, and it has bigger tips.... not exactly "power" mods.

KingLT1 09-01-2019 02:19 PM

The ZL1 is indeed a hair bigger in some spots at least. The first set of cat deletes I bought from Vengeance racing were by Bullet racing for a ZL1 and the drivers side slip connection didn't fit.

oldman 09-01-2019 03:16 PM

roger that, as noted the drivers side cat is different on the ZL1, but the gasket is exactly the same (fore and aft) Meaning that the ZL1 will need a different cat delete pipe on the driver's side, but it is the same diameter. The Zl1 cats probably flow better but the primary reason for different cats IMO of course, is for larger heat tolerances, maybe even a metalic core.

The major point is the vast majority of the Zl1 system is identical to the SS as noted:
Cats are different and the driver's side is a different shape / length... but the gastet size is the same from memory it is 2.25 ID.
the tips are different.

Spartan268 09-05-2019 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installation is done!

Shop said the installation was well. Everything slipped on as expected. They had issues with the hangers which were easy enough for them to get around. Just battling a CEL; seems like the ziptie trick didn't work so this will be an excuse to get a tune sooner than later. (Primary and secondary cats are still in place)

Loving the tips on it. They look amazing and probably my favorite part about it. Sounds great as well as expected. I had it in Stealth mode at first and I thought this exhaust was stupid quiet. Once it was in track it really opened up especially at WOT.