CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Borla S-Type (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586204)

puppykat33 12-24-2020 09:07 AM

Borla S-Type

Just had my Borla installed at Vengeance Racing and thought i would report.
First off Vengeance is a first class shop, Borla shipped me an ATAK in a S-Type box which set back my install but Vengeance did all they could to make it right and fit me in as soon as the correct part came in. As for sound. If you are on the fence about the S-Type all I can say is wow, Cold start is exhilarating, the sound through the rev range is loud but not annoying,the immediate difference in npp sound modes is 100% more noticeable than stock. The low end growl on acceleration and crackle on deceleration is awesome. Over all deeper tone. Even in track mode if you are cruising it shouldn't bother you, conversations are easy and the radio will drown out the exhaust sound until you get on it or down shift. As advertised no drone in any rpm in any gear. At leas not to my ear. I listened to all the youtube videos i could with headphones over and over and none of them do justice to the sound in person.
Just my .02 cents

Z OH 6 12-24-2020 09:12 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Vengeance, most professional performance shop I've ever dealt with. My only issue with the Borla exhaust is the 4" exhaust tips. The only exhaust tips I've seen so far that I really like are the 4.5" AWE exhaust tips. They're larger and fill out rear fascia better than all other aftermarket exhaust. I've heard nothing but great things though from the S-Type exhaust. Enjoy it!

gtfoxy 12-24-2020 09:37 AM

They do sound great.

I will probably, one day, get another S-Type in NPP.

EvilZL 12-25-2020 10:08 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Sweet!! :thumbup:
Yeah, I have the Borla S-Type NPP Axle Back with the Carbon Fiber Tips installed on my car., just to get me by until I do headers, with off road connection pipe and some bolts on's next year. Love the sound!! :headbang:

Camaro1973 12-25-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppykat33 (Post 10924409)
Just had my Borla installed at Vengeance Racing and thought i would report.
First off Vengeance is a first class shop, Borla shipped me an ATAK in a S-Type box which set back my install but Vengeance did all they could to make it right and fit me in as soon as the correct part came in. As for sound. If you are on the fence about the S-Type all I can say is wow, Cold start is exhilarating, the sound through the rev range is loud but not annoying,the immediate difference in npp sound modes is 100% more noticeable than stock. The low end growl on acceleration and crackle on deceleration is awesome. Over all deeper tone. Even in track mode if you are cruising it shouldn't bother you, conversations are easy and the radio will drown out the exhaust sound until you get on it or down shift. As advertised no drone in any rpm in any gear. At leas not to my ear. I listened to all the youtube videos i could with headphones over and over and none of them do justice to the sound in person.
Just my .02 cents

I just recently posted a sound clip, but with headers installed. Sound is much different with headers.

Z OH 6 12-25-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro1973 (Post 10925135)
I just recently posted a sound clip, but with headers installed. Sound is much different with headers.

I think that applies to all exhaust from the catback though. Headers and no cats or high flow cats changes everything drastically.

VT-1LE 12-25-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilZL (Post 10924980)
Sweet!! :thumbup:
Yeah, I have the Borla S-Type NPP Axle Back with the Carbon Fiber Tips installed on my car., just to get me by until I do headers, with off road connection pipe and some bolts on's next year. Love the sound!! :headbang:

I really like the looks of the carbon fiber tips.

EvilZL 12-25-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT-1LE (Post 10925174)
I really like the looks of the carbon fiber tips.

Thanks man!! I do too! it really looks good with the other carbon fiber on the car! :headbang:

IneedAZ 12-25-2020 05:35 PM

Anybody have a sound clip with Headers and cat delete? Deeper sound than stock muffler with Headers and cat delete?

Z OH 6 12-25-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IneedAZ (Post 10925183)
Anybody have a sound clip with Headers and cat delete? Deeper sound than stock muffler with Headers and cat delete?

Not deeper, just a LOT louder.

IneedAZ 12-25-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z OH 6 (Post 10925257)
Not deeper, just a LOT louder.

I thought the S type was similar decibel but deeper. Guess you are saying not. I don't really want louder, but I would take deeper tone.

Camaro1973 12-25-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IneedAZ (Post 10925183)

Stock muffller sounds very tinny to me, especailly when you add headers. here is my clip of the S type with headers and green cats.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585645

Z OH 6 12-26-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro1973 (Post 10925319)
Stock muffller sounds very tinny to me, especailly when you add headers. here is my clip of the S type with headers and green cats.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585645

I agree that the stock muffler doesn't sound great with headers and no cats/high flow cats.

Z OH 6 12-26-2020 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IneedAZ (Post 10925288)
I thought the S type was similar decibel but deeper. Guess you are saying not. I don't really want louder, but I would take deeper tone.

When you add headers and no cats/high flow cats, its going to be a good bit louder regardless of what catback you have on the car. Once you remove the stock manifolds and look at how restrictive they are, you'll understand why headers are so often recommended when trying to make any real power on these cars, its probably why they also get so much louder when you replace the stock manifolds too.