CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZL1 brake pad options ? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559751)

Deadmau5 08-06-2019 11:23 AM

ZL1 brake pad options ?

Anyone try other brake pads like the hawks at all or anything else? No I don't want powerstops those are garbage and over heat and don't stop well when doing 160+ pulls .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

full*throttle*therapy 08-06-2019 11:28 AM

See ken at KNS Brakes. He does a great job of tweaking some cts-v pads for our cars.

Hawk DTC 70 in front and DTC 60 in the rear. I am on my 2nd set.

SFV1LE 08-06-2019 11:46 AM

If you want a very hardcore track pad, the Ferodo DS 1.11 is the way to go. They bite like Raybestos ST-43 and will never overheat, Downsides are cost, extra rotor wear and perhaps discoloration of front calipers from the higher heat. Stock pads also perform great on track, and are very cheap.

Deadmau5 08-06-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFV1LE (Post 10589878)
If you want a very hardcore track pad, the Ferodo DS 1.11 is the way to go. They bite like Raybestos ST-43 and will never overheat, Downsides are cost, extra rotor wear and perhaps discoloration of front calipers from the higher heat. Stock pads also perform great on track, and are very cheap.

I'm looking for something similar to stick I don't track the car just very heavy decels

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AZ_1LE 08-06-2019 01:09 PM

G-LOC GS-1's. I have them on mine and they're fantastic. https://www.greeneperformance.com/co...ont-brake-pads

Blast2hell 08-06-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by full*throttle*therapy (Post 10589866)
See ken at KNS Brakes. He does a great job of tweaking some cts-v pads for our cars.

Hawk DTC 70 in front and DTC 60 in the rear. I am on my 2nd set.

Agreed, I run the same setup, very happy and I decel from 150's

kaamacat 08-06-2019 05:34 PM

Carbotech XP12 in the front, XP10 in the rear. Outstanding pads, and non-corrosive material dusting. (Lightyears better than the OEMs with minimal rotor wear)

SFV1LE 08-06-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaamacat (Post 10590170)
Carbotech XP12 in the front, XP10 in the rear. Outstanding pads, and non-corrosive material dusting. (Lightyears better than the OEMs with minimal rotor wear)

I'm curious, how are these lightyears better than the OEM pads (you have a 1LE I see)?

I've heard no complaints about super heavy duty track performance of the OEM pads from the fastest drivers I know here. Are you referring to street use or a combination of street/track?

The OEMs dont seem to wear the rotors, and the dust always comes off easy with a damp rag even from the nooks and crannies in the calipers after a high heat track weekend. Also, no brake squeal.

kaamacat 08-06-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFV1LE (Post 10590211)
I'm curious, how are these lightyears better than the OEM pads (you have a 1LE I see)?

I've heard no complaints about super heavy duty track performance of the OEM pads from the fastest drivers I know here. Are you referring to street use or a combination of street/track?

The OEMs dont seem to wear the rotors, and the dust always comes off easy with a damp rag even from the nooks and crannies in the calipers after a high heat track weekend. Also, no brake squeal.

For track use....I agree the OEMs are good but you can stop much later with the Carbo's. Much less braking effort for a much shorter period of time. So to answer the question, for track use yet fine for street with minimal rotor scoring. For street alone I'd have no reason whatsoever to go away from the OEMs. The OEM setup is very good but, I will admit there were times where I wish I had the XP12/XP10's on. (Almost exclusive to the end of a sizable straight)

I would clarify...this is road course I am talking about with "track". The XP12/10's are 2x the price of the OEMS. If you are wearing a harness, coming down something like into 10A at Road Atlanta when you hit the brakes the stopping difference is significant where you would swear the car wants to do a handstand and the harness is pressing into your body. (I remember when bedding them, at the final phase where you'd do the harder stops, I almost felt seasick for a moment it was such a fast slowdown)

But as others have said the Raybestos, Hawks are all great as-well... (I'm also big on good brake fluid and swapped out the GM fill with a nice full flush right after getting the car)

JDP Sales 08-06-2019 08:06 PM

Hawk pads have treated us very well!

DTC is a great pad, but that is more of a race pad with heavy brake dust. I use them, but dang my wheels get dirty quick!

HP Plus is a good pad for autocross etc, but is a little squeakier and there is more brake dust.

HPS 5.0 is a good street pad

Junkyardspecial 08-07-2019 09:37 AM

Ill be looking into other pads when my OEMS give up. Where are you all buying these pads? I seem to have difficulty tracking down some for the 1le.

SFV1LE 08-07-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaamacat (Post 10590323)
For track use....I agree the OEMs are good but you can stop much later with the Carbo's. Much less braking effort for a much shorter period of time. So to answer the question, for track use yet fine for street with minimal rotor scoring. For street alone I'd have no reason whatsoever to go away from the OEMs. The OEM setup is very good but, I will admit there were times where I wish I had the XP12/XP10's on. (Almost exclusive to the end of a sizable straight)

I would clarify...this is road course I am talking about with "track". The XP12/10's are 2x the price of the OEMS. If you are wearing a harness, coming down something like into 10A at Road Atlanta when you hit the brakes the stopping difference is significant where you would swear the car wants to do a handstand and the harness is pressing into your body. (I remember when bedding them, at the final phase where you'd do the harder stops, I almost felt seasick for a moment it was such a fast slowdown)

But as others have said the Raybestos, Hawks are all great as-well... (I'm also big on good brake fluid and swapped out the GM fill with a nice full flush right after getting the car)

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I haven't tried Raybestos ST-43 on track with my ZLE but I swore by those on my 500WHP Evo X. I would but they dont make a true fitment for ZLE, they dont cover the full rotor.

With ST-43 I could brake with my friend's 991 GT3RS (stock Evo 4 pot Brembo calipers), and that was coming off 140-160 MPH straights at ACS Fontana Roval. They never faded, and we were running 1:46-1:48 there. So I know what you mean by hard late braking and the forces you describe.

That being said, so far in the ZLE I've tried both Ferodo DS 1.11 and stock pads at Buttonwillow, ACS and Laguna Seca. After 3 events I haven't reached the point where I was after years in the Evo, but while the DS 1.11 remind me of the ST-43s, I dont see a BIG difference yet, OEM pads didnt show any fade at the end of the front straight at Laguna after a 20 minute session.

Another point is that my coach who runs OEM pads has set incredible lap times in his stock 2018 ZLE, he runs 1:49 at Buttonwillow, 1:42 at Sonoma on OEMs.

A couple of things... Heat from ST-43 turned my calipers brown in a few events, and certainly wear the rotors faster, I'm concerned the DS 1.11 will do the same. OEM pads are great on street and don't squeal at all. OEM pads are cheap.

For now I'm back to running the OEM pads, with the DS 1.11 as backups. If I hear other's calipers aren't turning brown and I'm back matching or surpassing my Evo times I'll give the DS 1.11 another try and maybe try Carbotechs at some point.

kaamacat 08-07-2019 11:59 AM

...I think its one of those things where, and it was for me... I had not really given the Carbotech a thought until someone with a C6 ZO6 (this is when I had the ViperGT) mentioned the pads. I took the advice and was honestly, like I said shocked. Now the Viper also had Brembo but the rotor/pad area not as large but, all things being equal the replacement XP12/XP10 are same size so still apples-to-apples there and I was blow away. (I even have a lesser set on our 99' BMW 328IS for street use, XP10/XP8 and damn they are good).

AZ_1LE 08-07-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaamacat (Post 10590170)

This is exactly what I also run for track duty. Phenomenal braking power and consistency. Not daily driver friendly, your car sounds like a school bus when you get on the brakes when they're cold.