CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Best exhaust setup? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573588)

Davescamaro 04-16-2020 01:53 PM

Best exhaust setup?

Hi to all!
I was curious to know which exhaust setup would be best in sound and performance. I was thinking of an axle back quad tip, rear diffuser, and catted downpipe combo.
For brands, I was thinking/leaning towards borla mid pipe, zzp catted, and blackheart axle back. Just trying to free up breathing from the turbo and give it some aggressive sound. I have not heard from another ltg in my area in person. I just dont want it to sound like a Honda lol.

wookwook 04-16-2020 02:33 PM

dude there is so much discussion on here. what ever you get for axle back,
get the borla mid pipe with the in-line muffler. you'll thank me later.
I did the sport jugs with it which they market as Sport Tour system. love it.

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...rt__60624.html

Start The Machine 04-16-2020 02:51 PM

ZZP Catted Downpipe (or any catted downpipe) w/Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Exhaust.

Davescamaro 04-16-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookwook (Post 10768510)
dude there is so much discussion on here. what ever you get for axle back,
get the borla mid pipe with the in-line muffler. you'll thank me later.
I did the sport jugs with it which they market as Sport Tour system. love it.

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...rt__60624.html

Thank you on the info on the inline muffler. I would go all out borla, but trying to stay under 2k budget full cost. Not trying to go all out, but just everyday driving and once a blue moon, hit the drag strip.
I will hold off til this country gets back into the groove. And talk to the wife to get the okay (wish me luck lol). I really appreciate the feedback so quickly and get back on the ok.
You guys are good and thanks once again!

Evil-Bee-NH 04-16-2020 04:54 PM

Skip the Axle-Back altogether go with a Mishmito Cat-Back or Holley Cat-Back.

zedts1986 04-16-2020 04:56 PM

the zzp catted downpipe was such a good move for this car

zedts1986 04-16-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 10768614)
Skip the Axle-Back altogether go with a Mishmito Cat-Back or Holley Cat-Back.

I received my "stimulus" yesterday and decided to buy the ZZP intake tube...I'm considering spending the rest of it on the Mishimoto cat-back. The question then becomes: do I splurge for a new diffuser and go quad-tip?

kropscamaro16 04-16-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedts1986 (Post 10768628)
I received my "stimulus" yesterday and decided to buy the ZZP intake tube...I'm considering spending the rest of it on the Mishimoto cat-back. The question then becomes: do I splurge for a new diffuser and go quad-tip?

zzp intercooler intake tube with kn filter intercooler upper and lower piping on my old cobalt ss they make great stuff!

zedts1986 04-16-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 (Post 10768630)
zzp intercooler intake tube with kn filter intercooler upper and lower piping on my old cobalt ss they make great stuff!

I have the K&N drop-in filter already in the airbox. I figure the intake tube plus that will be more than enough air and render the CAI unnecessary. At least, for now...

wookwook 04-16-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davescamaro (Post 10768564)
Thank you on the info on the inline muffler. I would go all out borla, but trying to stay under 2k budget full cost. Not trying to go all out, but just everyday driving and once a blue moon, hit the drag strip.
I will hold off til this country gets back into the groove. And talk to the wife to get the okay (wish me luck lol). I really appreciate the feedback so quickly and get back on the ok.
You guys are good and thanks once again!

Shop hard. I pieced my Borla cat back from discount resellers and still came in 25 percent below retail, installed. try ebay.

There was a twist, literally a welding defect on one jug, and my shop guy fixed it for free.

Its a bolt up but it will be needing an air hammer for proper assembly.

Evil-Bee-NH 04-16-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedts1986 (Post 10768637)
I have the K&N drop-in filter already in the airbox. I figure the intake tube plus that will be more than enough air and render the CAI unnecessary. At least, for now...

Actually the hi flo filter in oem box with Mishimoto or zzp silicone tube has been proven to be best option for IATs.

zedts1986 04-17-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 10768735)
Actually the hi flo filter in oem box with Mishimoto or zzp silicone tube has been proven to be best option for IATs.

Well then, excellent!

Davescamaro 04-17-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookwook (Post 10768716)
Shop hard. I pieced my Borla cat back from discount resellers and still came in 25 percent below retail, installed. try ebay.

There was a twist, literally a welding defect on one jug, and my shop guy fixed it for free.

Its a bolt up but it will be needing an air hammer for proper assembly.

Thank you for the info. I'll probably wait til a holiday sale hits or if a site offers a veterans discount. No huge rush, wife gave the ok after we get a house. She has a 18 VW GTi, I've already put an intake on it lol, so she knows I wanna tinker a bit on it.
Once I get the parts, I'll have my buddy install it at the dealership. I used to work there and he has an air hammer.

V8Bully 05-01-2020 04:05 PM

The best and cheapest way in my opinion is to get rid of the factory suitcase muffler with a y pipe and 2 bends. Costs about ~320-450 dollars at a shop to do and can be done in 45 minutes(labor/parts included). I have an ATS so we have a resonator in the middle, I chose to ADD an additional resonator behind it along with a catless downpipe. My car has zero rasp when cruising around and is super loud when getting on it or cold start. With a catted downpipe, I would do the muffler delete with a single 12 or 17in inline muffler as suggested by others.

Cost,

DP = -300
Muffler delete = -350
Sell factory muffler = +100
Resonator = -75
Labor and additional parts = -300
total = 925

Add an intake tube, k&n and intercooler for $750 and you spent a little over $1500 for a great setup. Add HPTuners and an E85 sensor and you have a car that can rival most new V8s for less then $2500.

Also, don't spend your cash on an intake as others have mentioned. Take your factory intake out and use a dremel to cut the front section out, its shaped like a triangle. With the intake tube and filter, it will have a pretty big impact on the sound without being too much.