CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Wideband Bung Location (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606810)

Cleancoupe 06-22-2022 02:12 PM

Wideband Bung Location

2 Attachment(s)
I’ll be remote tuning my car & want to get a wideband bung welded onto my CSP headers before I have them coated. I’ll be running GESI cats so I was going to have a bung welded near the O2 sensor bung on the collector. Anyone have any clearance issues with the transmission in this location? My car is an M6. I have attached a picture of another car with CSP headers for reference. Thanks for any advice.

Joshinator99 06-22-2022 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did something similar by having a wideband O2 bung welded in before sending my headers off to be coated. Has worked out perfectly. I have an A8 though, FWIW.

Trochoidal 06-22-2022 02:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another auto car but that’s very close to where I put mine.

Cleancoupe 06-22-2022 06:40 PM

Thanks for the replies & pics guys. I’m pretty sure I’ll be fine in that location, but just wanted to make sure no one else ran into any problems there

Cleancoupe 07-01-2022 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I checked under my buddies manual car yesterday & there is plenty of clearance under there. I’m now thinking behind the O2 bung or on the car pipe itself. Does either of these locations seem better?

NG329 07-01-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleancoupe (Post 11194662)
I checked under my buddies manual car yesterday & there is plenty of clearance under there. I’m now thinking behind the O2 bung or on the car pipe itself. Does either of these locations seem better?

2nd pic. you need to do it on an angle so the sensor doesn't make contact with the body. When I did mine on my '19, we had the car on the lift and welded it from underneath the car. Sure it's easier to do with the header off the car but having it welded with the headers on the car takes all the guess work out of the equation.

Trochoidal 07-01-2022 10:31 PM

I agree on the 2nd picture too. I’d want to be as far upstream as possible. 10°+ angle for that bung is what’s needed.

Cleancoupe 07-02-2022 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NG329 (Post 11194664)
2nd pic. you need to do it on an angle so the sensor doesn't make contact with the body. When I did mine on my '19, we had the car on the lift and welded it from underneath the car. Sure it's easier to do with the header off the car but having it welded with the headers on the car takes all the guess work out of the equation.

There is plenty of clearance in that area so I shouldn’t run into any issues with hitting the body there. I wanted to get it welded before I sent them out to get coated so that’s why I didn’t want to weld it on the car

Cleancoupe 07-02-2022 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochoidal (Post 11194693)
I agree on the 2nd picture too. I’d want to be as far upstream as possible. 10°+ angle for that bung is what’s needed.

Thanks. I thought you would want to be a little further away from the merge on the collector so you’re getting a better mix from all banks? Yes, it will be at a slight angle up

RobZL1 07-02-2022 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleancoupe (Post 11194734)
Thanks. I thought you would want to be a little further away from the merge on the collector so you’re getting a better mix from all banks? Yes, it will be at a slight angle up

I'm with you. I'd do the first pic for that very reason if there's clearance.

Trochoidal 07-02-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleancoupe (Post 11194734)

Good thought for sure about the merge but your 2nd picture is further away than the narrow band. Mine has been fine and I can’t see you have any problem at all doing as shown in the 2nd pic.

Cleancoupe 07-02-2022 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went with the location on the cat pipe before the cat.

Trochoidal 07-02-2022 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleancoupe (Post 11195020)
Went with the location on the cat pipe before the cat.

Nice job! I ran a tap through the hole after the welding was complete. That gave me solitude knowing the WB wouldn’t try to become a permanent fixture due to distorted threads or debris.