CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   LT5 95mm to MSD (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602889)

SloCal 03-01-2022 04:11 PM

LT5 95mm to MSD

I'm confused if you can run a stock LT5 throttle body to an MSD (pray ported but believe that's just the runners) directly without adaptor?

Bought an MSD and LT5 tb off someone locally and he had them bolted up without an adaptor but it seems the MSD is a 103mm opening?

Looking to clarify before installing both.

NYblack1le 03-01-2022 05:57 PM

The 95 can bolt up if the holes are opened slightly. If it’s a pray ported 95 the holes would have been opened.

laynlo15 03-01-2022 06:00 PM

You can for sure as I did on my C7 Corvette. I would not run an adapter, if the holes are opened then use a Dremel to open them up as needed. Thats what I did, took me about 30 minutes and you can use your stock TB for the pattern. Its easy.

SloCal 03-01-2022 06:17 PM

If i run my finger from throttle body to msd opening past the blade when they're bolted together you can feel the drop off as it goes from 95 -> 103mm. Wondering if this sudden opening vs having it tapered with an adapter will affect the performance?

I guess someone opened up the holes slightly because it's currently bolted to the MSD without an adapter

laynlo15 03-02-2022 07:06 AM

The unless the adapter is also ported it is a restriction and you don't want that. If it's bolted up without the adapter use it that way. Pretty simple swap you can do in an hour or so with all the shitty covers off.

s346k 03-02-2022 07:14 AM

i don’t know that the adapter is much of a restriction on an unported LT5 tb. i don’t recall mine (ict) jutting into the opening. i will say that having the adapter in there pushes the rotofab tube out just enough to be a pain in the ass when it comes to seating the air box.

BruceWayne1LE 03-02-2022 09:19 PM

The larger snout opening is not a restriction with the smaller throttle bodies. There are two different adapters. One is merely to adapt the 95mm without the hole elongation to the msd or Holley. Those adapters are not restrictions. The second is the one that allows the use of the 95mm to the stock IM. Those neck down the inlet and restrict flow. Unless someone like Pray ports the snout to accept a 95mm TB which is pretty difficult.

Ventmaster 03-09-2022 02:50 PM

OP I've been running a 95mm TB (unported) to the MSD IM (also unported) for some time without any issues in drivability and zero error codes. She runs strong and smooth IMHO.

But I have become aware of Soler's inexpensive 95 to 103 ported adaptor that holds the TB centered in the MSD opening and smooths the transition between the two. I've always been a fan of laminar flow (as opposed to turbulent flow), but it appears the consensus of C6 members is it is not a restriction or cause for a loss of performance.

Basically, I'm looking for an excuse to buy a small piece of Soler stuff just for bragging rights and peace of mind. I had to get rid of the "crushed" portion of the exhaust for the same reason- despite valid protests that it gained nothing. But that's just me. Opinions please...? and thanks. :thumbup: