CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z/28 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   Well, the LT5 is now confirmed a thing.... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513300)

Mr. Wyndham 11-16-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlap (Post 9978727)
America first! :lol:

Right?!

:laugh: But in all seriousness - this is what happens when you have to cater to so many different rules and standards in one product. Can you imagine the things we don't know about our cars that they were designed/constrained for that have absolutely no bearing on us? :facepalm:

EDIT: I don't doubt for an instant the lower/smaller blower on the LT4 was, in-part, a product of EU standards in the first place!

detltu 11-17-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9975575)
The LT5 won’t end up in a Camaro. No Camaro has ever gotten the best engine GM produces.

I agree that it is doubtful we get the LT5. But no Camaro generation has gone without a Z/28. I doubt this will be the first.

If GM doesn't have a suitable N/A engine in development and ready in time for end of the 6th gen, I think they would rather drop the N/A requirement and drop the LT5 into a Z/28 badged (limited production) than go without.

Hopefully they do what they should have done with the 6th gen and limit the cars to 602 examples per year for one or two years.

Bhobbs 11-17-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detltu (Post 9979179)
I agree that it is doubtful we get the LT5. But no Camaro generation has gone without a Z/28. I doubt this will be the first.

If GM doesn't have a suitable N/A engine in development and ready in time for end of the 6th gen, I think they would rather drop the N/A requirement and drop the LT5 into a Z/28 badged (limited production) than go without.

Hopefully they do what they should have done with the 6th gen and limit the cars to 602 examples per year for one or two years.

The Z28 badge was used more on a generic V8, than the Z/28 was on an actual Z/28. I would rather they not go back to slapping the Z28 badge on anything.

Mr. Wyndham 11-17-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9979220)
The Z28 badge was used more on a generic V8, than the Z/28 was on an actual Z/28. I would rather they not go back to slapping the Z28 badge on anything.

And that's precisely why there was no Z/28 until the LS7-powered project was green-lighted...The brand is a hallowed name under the leadership of the current Camaro Team. :thumbsup:

2SSRS@Gen5diy 11-17-2017 12:15 PM

Wow guys hold on there is still a lot of time left on the 6th gen clock as far as we all know there is 3 more model years to go and in that time there is a refresh coming after that there will be a Z/28 coming, and it will put a lot of cars down, think 2.0+HP per CI power and a 7500+ red line.

Bhobbs 11-17-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy (Post 9979436)
Wow guys hold on there is still a lot of time left on the 6th gen clock as far as we all know there is 3 more model years to go and in that time there is a refresh coming after that there will be a Z/28 coming, and it will put a lot of cars down, think 2.0+HP per CI power and a 7500+ red line.

How do you know this?

2SSRS@Gen5diy 11-17-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9979663)
How do you know this?

Assuming far as I know there are only a hand full of people that know, this is what I see when I look out, there are many things out there that say it's coming, like a DCT that for the last 1 1/2 years has been in testing, or how we know there is a mid motor corvette is coming, there is more out there, it comes from all I read and see.

SpeedIsLife 11-18-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 9979226)
And that's precisely why there was no Z/28 until the LS7-powered project was green-lighted...The brand is a hallowed name under the leadership of the current Camaro Team. :thumbsup:

That’s not correct.

The ZL1 was going to be the Z/28 until community outcry caused the shift.

Early ZL1 parts were stamped with “Z28”.

doc7000 11-18-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy (Post 9979788)
Assuming far as I know there are only a hand full of people that know, this is what I see when I look out, there are many things out there that say it's coming, like a DCT that for the last 1 1/2 years has been in testing, or how we know there is a mid motor corvette is coming, there is more out there, it comes from all I read and see.

You are going to say that it is coming without providing any proof that it is coming? you may not require a higher standard then that but I do require a higher standard then that.

doc7000 11-18-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife (Post 9980477)
That’s not correct.

That wasn't correct at the time however since then Al has stated that this is how it is going to be at least for the time being.

Quinten_33 11-18-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercup (Post 9978924)
That might be a good slot in the current gen 6 line up - but that will not be a Z/28 - it needs to slot in between SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE - no creature comforts, light as possible - what NA motor - who knows?

Yeah, I agree. But I do think that the Z/28 should be a more affordable track toy. The Z/28 used to be a performance package for the Camaro, like the 1LE. It, even by 1970’s standards, was a bargain. Perhaps a 6th gen Z/28 pack could be the right.
Have 2.0T, V6, and LT1 Z/28s with the full ZL1 1LE suspension setup, eLSD, F1 3R tires, ZL1 brakes, and regular 1LE aero. Delete the electronics, A/C, rear seats, as much sound deadening as possible, active exhaust, and give it lighter Front seats. Make Carbon ceramics and ZL1 1LE aero optional on LT1 models, and a/c and electronics optional on all models. A ZL1 Z/28 wth standard carbon ceramics and ZL1 1LE aero would be the top dog.

The 2.0T would be an insane autocrosser, the V6 would be both an autocross car and an affordable track toy. The LT1 model would beat most cars around road courses and could double as a drag car. The LT4 Z/28 would serve as The ultimate 6th Gen Camaro, Beating all but the best around any track and running with “Drag radials and pulleys” hellcats at the strip.

That’s how I would bring back the Z/28 if I could, but there’s no way Chevy would do it in such a manner.

Mr. Wyndham 11-18-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife (Post 9980477)
That’s not correct.

But it wasn't called "Z/28", and so didn't exist. "Community outcry" isn't quite accurate, either, because really the car was still unknown to the public at large...and that's sort of what I was alluding to by "leadership".

In any event...I think the existence of the ZL1 1LE eliminates the possibility of a faster car. Frankly, that car could have been called Z/28 if not for the principal of natural aspiration.

So the Z/28 would have to be something more extreme and track-focused than a 1SS 1LE, but in the same vein. In my personal opinion...that would congest the upper end of Camaro performance for no reason other than to build a car that wears a particular badge.

Bhobbs 11-19-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 9980880)
But it wasn't called "Z/28", and so didn't exist. "Community outcry" isn't quite accurate, either, because really the car was still unknown to the public at large...and that's sort of what I was alluding to by "leadership".

In any event...I think the existence of the ZL1 1LE eliminates the possibility of a faster car. Frankly, that car could have been called Z/28 if not for the principal of natural aspiration.

So the Z/28 would have to be something more extreme and track-focused than a 1SS 1LE, but in the same vein. In my personal opinion...that would congest the upper end of Camaro performance for no reason other than to build a car that wears a particular badge.

I think there is still space for a Z/28, even if it sits around the ZL1 price range. The Z/28 should offer a different experience than the ZL1.

I would take an n/a Z/28 over the ZL1, even if they were identically priced.

Mr. Wyndham 11-19-2017 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9981124)
I think there is still space for a Z/28, even if it sits around the ZL1 price range. The Z/28 should offer a different experience than the ZL1.

Let me pose a "Devil's Advocate" question...why not a 1SS or 2SS/1LE?

Bhobbs 11-19-2017 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 9981129)

I have a 5th gen 1LE and love that car but my dad has a 15 Z/28 and that is one of the few cars I would give up my 1LE for. The experience of that car is like nothing I have had before behind the wheel.

MrChrisLS3 11-19-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 9981129)

Because the 1SS/2SS 1LE still looks like the Base SS model.

It seems that there is an open spot for a car with all of the suspension and body design parts with the N/A LT1 engine. It's a proven formula already on the Corvette side with the Grand Sport, in both the 6th and 7th Generation.

I promise you that if they built this car and priced it starting $7 to $10K more than the SS 1LE, they would sell a lot of them. They also have to drop any idea of a 'stripped down race car', that was the stumbling point of the 5th Gen Z/28, though cool, and they probably didn't want to make a lot of them, the marketing scenario for Gen6 is different. They will actually be better off marketing the car as the 'daily driver' version of the ZL1-1LE.

Mr. Wyndham 11-19-2017 04:21 PM

I am doubtful. I put the Z/28 stuff on the SS 1LE and strung the engine out to 7000rpm...it was a helluva lot of fun.

But then, I did opt for the car I did, so perhaps my head isn’t in the same spot as what I’m reading here.

hotlap 11-19-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9981124)

I would have taken that over my ZL1 in the 5th gen. Basically a 1LE with a LS7 for under $60k. That formula today would sell like hot cakes and it absolutely wouldn't have to be faster than the ZL1-1LE. Different experience for those not wanting forced induction.

I'm not interested in GM's 1.9 or 1.7L superchargers so NA it is for me. Offer a LT5 sized huffer and I'll consider it again

gringo 11-19-2017 08:41 PM

I was hoping the new LT5 would be the return of a next generation DOHC N/A V8. Instead, GM gave us another LT4 variant with a larger displacement supercharger and port fuel injection on it.

IMO, they should have never named it LT5. However, just like what they did with the "SS" nameplate in recent memory, they stuck a legendary RPO code on a regular pushrod supercharged engine to gain sales.

Shame on GM.

RLHMARINES 11-19-2017 09:56 PM

The SS 1LE is the affordable Grand Sport of the Camaro lineup so we can let the naturally aspirated ZL1 1LE Lite model be the New Z/28 with more of the lite weight hardcore go fast hardware.

I don't want a hot LT1 but I do want a high revving high powered track terror with Team Camaro thinking outside the box, so to speak, to achieve the same goals as the Supercharged ZL1 but naturally aspirated instead.

DCT, High Revving DOHC V8, Carbon Ceramic Rotors, DSSV Twin Stage Suspension, ZL1 1LE Aero, and lite weight Carbon Fiber Wheels. Thats my wish list for the Z/28 and if it's $65-$75K, thats cool by me, I'll lust after this bad boy and save up for purchase. This and/or a rear mid engine Corvette will be my last high dollar toy in the drive way.

Zeke.Malvo 11-20-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLHMARINES (Post 9981923)
The SS 1LE is the affordable Grand Sport of the Camaro lineup so we can let the naturally aspirated ZL1 1LE Lite model be the New Z/28 with more of the lite weight hardcore go fast hardware.

I don't want a hot LT1 but I do want a high revving high powered track terror with Team Camaro thinking outside the box, so to speak, to achieve the same goals as the Supercharged ZL1 but naturally aspirated instead.

DCT, High Revving DOHC V8, Carbon Ceramic Rotors, DSSV Twin Stage Suspension, ZL1 1LE Aero, and lite weight Carbon Fiber Wheels. Thats my wish list for the Z/28 and if it's $65-$75K, thats cool by me, I'll lust after this bad boy and save up for purchase. This and/or a rear mid engine Corvette will be my last high dollar toy in the drive way.

The SS 1LE is more like a Z51. A ZL1 1LE but with an LT1 would be the Grand Sport equivalent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

whiteboyblues2001 11-20-2017 08:27 AM

Well, we know that there is a mid-engine corvette mule running about, and it could have a new N/A motor in it with DOHC. To offset some development costs, they could throw that new engine in a Z/28. And like the 5th gen Z/28, it will come out after the refresh. That's a lot of if's, but I will be watching the release of the new mid-engine 'vette with interest....

aa406079 11-24-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9981130)
I have a 5th gen 1LE and love that car but my dad has a 15 Z/28 and that is one of the few cars I would give up my 1LE for. The experience of that car is like nothing I have had before behind the wheel.

Have you ever driven a 6th gen SS 1LE...? Specifically up a canyon road ...or your favourite twisty stretch...?

Bhobbs 11-24-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa406079 (Post 9987327)
Have you ever driven a 6th gen SS 1LE...? Specifically up a canyon road ...or your favourite twisty stretch...?

No, not yet.

Battlezone580 11-25-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringo (Post 9981856)
I was hoping the new LT5 would be the return of a next generation DOHC N/A V8. Instead, GM gave us another LT4 variant with a larger displacement supercharger and port fuel injection on it.

IMO, they should have never named it LT5. However, just like what they did with the "SS" nameplate in recent memory, they stuck a legendary RPO code on a regular pushrod supercharged engine to gain sales.

Shame on GM.

A 750hp or even a 650hp N/A engine would be amazing I agree.

But N/A engine with 750hp would be up in the ranks with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, do you know the maintenance costs associated with hp high N/A engines?

Besides the maintenance cost, the cars MSRP would skyrocket. There's a reason we can get ZL1's and Z06 for 1/3 of the price of supercars. And you can thank that reason to supercharged V8's with little to no maintenance upkeep.

MrChrisLS3 11-25-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battlezone580 (Post 9988245)
A 750hp or even a 650hp N/A engine would be amazing I agree.

But N/A engine with 750hp would be up in the ranks with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, do you know the maintenance costs associated with hp high N/A engines?

Besides the maintenance cost, the cars MSRP would skyrocket. There's a reason we can get ZL1's and Z06 for 1/3 of the price of supercars. And you can thank that reason to supercharged V8's with little to no maintenance upkeep.

Agree, and the Italians are adding four more cylinders to achieve those numbers. Interesting is that the Aventador only achieves a 'measly' 500 ft/lb of torque. Although more than enough in that car as designed, it pales in comparison to the torque of the LT4 or the LT5.

While I understand the desire for the N/A engine, it's just not going to happen like that, not in the United States, and definitely not in a mass produced car with an MSRP under six figures.

The industry has come along way with forced induction in the last decade. It is the only replacement for displacement in terms of factory performance cars.

LateBrakeU2 11-26-2017 08:48 AM

Agree with above two posts. FI is the future with CAFE standards. BMW doesn't make NA motors anymore. At 6' 5" 230,Aventador's,720's, or Even Corvette's have never been an option. Good thing I have always been a Camaro guy!

2SSRS@Gen5diy 11-27-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 9982169)
Well, we know that there is a mid-engine corvette mule running about, and it could have a new N/A motor in it with DOHC. To offset some development costs, they could throw that new engine in a Z/28. And like the 5th gen Z/28, it will come out after the refresh. That's a lot of if's, but I will be watching the release of the new mid-engine 'vette with interest....

it has a twin turbo motor, is what i heard, so its not the the Z/28 motor.

whiteboyblues2001 11-27-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy (Post 9990051)
it has a twin turbo motor, is what i heard, so its not the the Z/28 motor.

I heard that there will be at least two engines for the mid-engined corvette. Both DOHC, one N/A (the initial engine), and the same engine with FI (coming later).

Of course, this is all "insider info", which I treat with a large grain of salt. LARGE grain of salt...

But, if true, the N/A motor could find it's way in a Z/28.

Quinten_33 11-29-2017 11:47 AM

Yeah the talk on the Corvette forums right now if that future Corvettes will feature a 4.2L DOHC V8 and a 5.5L DOHC V8, no word on if they’d have forced induction or not. A 427 in an SS 1LE or a ZL1 would make an awesome Z/28 though.

whiteboyblues2001 11-30-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinten_33 (Post 9992264)
Yeah the talk on the Corvette forums right now if that future Corvettes will feature a 4.2L DOHC V8 and a 5.5L DOHC V8, no word on if they’d have forced induction or not. A 427 in an SS 1LE or a ZL1 would make an awesome Z/28 though.

Would LOVE to see a 427 in the Camaro. I often wondered if they added variable valve timing and direct injection to the LS7 (making an LT7?) and if that would pass the cold start emissions that large displacement engines struggle with. You would probably be able to get to 550 HP easily in a N/A small block. Perfect recipe for a Z/28.

This is very VERY wishful thinking though... I'm sure it won't happen, but a guy can dream can't he???

shaffe 11-30-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 9993322)
Would LOVE to see a 427 in the Camaro. I often wondered if they added variable valve timing and direct injection to the LS7 (making an LT7?) and if that would pass the cold start emissions that large displacement engines struggle with. You would probably be able to get to 550 HP easily in a N/A small block. Perfect recipe for a Z/28.

This is very VERY wishful thinking though... I'm sure it won't happen, but a guy can dream can't he???

I agree wishful thinking. IMO the 427 died with the LS7.

Best bet for future Z/28 motor is that rumored 5.5 DOHC from mid engine vette.

whiteboyblues2001 11-30-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 9993527)

Although I totally agree with you, I have my fingers in my ears, eyes closed, and am saying "La la la la la la, can't hear you, la la la la la la...".

Zeke.Malvo 12-01-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 9993527)

The 427 died way before the LS7 considering the LS7 is actually a 428

Bobkd 12-01-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo (Post 9994867)
The 427 died way before the LS7 considering the LS7 is actually a 428

Like when the ford 5.0 really wasn't really a 5.0 until the coyote.

Zeke.Malvo 12-01-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobkd (Post 9995239)
Like when the ford 5.0 really wasn't really a 5.0 until the coyote.

Exactly [emoji106]

Quinten_33 12-02-2017 05:59 PM

and the 7.4L 454/455 was neither

Quinten_33 12-02-2017 06:03 PM

A 392 isn’t even a 392.

Quinten_33 12-02-2017 06:07 PM

My dream engine for the Z/28 is the LSX 454. That engine with the ZR1 exhaust with ZL1 looks would be a killer combo. All it would be missing is H.D. 455 stickers on the hood bulge.

Bluecyclone 12-03-2017 06:07 AM

Yea, but that Coyote for 2018? Mercy it's makin power for it's displacement! Just think about a small block vs the big block, displacement is what it is.