CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Add NAV to 2019 - 2022 Models (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605144)

SS_Don 05-05-2022 10:50 PM

Add NAV to 2019 - 2022 Models

Found this site that sells an upgrade to the 2019-2022 8" infotainment system. It enables the built in NAV system and HD radio and should integrate with the DIC and HUD also.

https://www.infotainment.com/product...39602402328612

I thought I would post it in case anyone wanted to add factory NAV to their ride.

Might purchase it in the future.

Anjilslaire 05-06-2022 02:19 AM

Honest question, why spend $400+ when your phone can do it for free via Android Auto or Carplay right on the dashboard?

SS_Don 05-06-2022 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjilslaire (Post 11170525)
Honest question, why spend $400+ when your phone can do it for free via Android Auto or Carplay right on the dashboard?

HD radio
DIC Integration
HUD integration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZED SLED 05-06-2022 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjilslaire (Post 11170525)

What happens when you get a phone call about your car's warranty right in the middle of an important maneuver?

cjperformance 05-06-2022 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 11170545)
What happens when you get a phone call about your car's warranty right in the middle of an important maneuver?

:smiling1: Whats a warranty?

armycop71 05-06-2022 06:53 AM

With wireless Android Auto and Carplay, you can use Waze or Google maps, I've found them more accurate than factory navigation systems.

SS_Don 05-06-2022 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armycop71 (Post 11170556)
With wireless Android Auto and Carplay, you can use Waze or Google maps, I've found them more accurate than factory navigation systems.

Some people like the builtin NAV with the integration it provides. It’s all about choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

classicrockr 05-06-2022 08:11 AM

is this a wireless unit? After driving my new truck that does everything wirelessly, I'm ready to upgrade my head unit so I don't have to plug in to use android auto

SS_Don 05-06-2022 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicrockr (Post 11170593)
is this a wireless unit? After driving my new truck that does everything wirelessly, I'm ready to upgrade my head unit so I don't have to plug in to use android auto

It reprograms the existing unit. Go to the web site and read the description.

arpad_m 05-06-2022 08:55 AM

I was sooo sure the google maps/waze "why would you pay" warriors would be quick to jump on this thread as well :smiling1:

SS_Don, thanks for the info, I've found this place sells useful stuff for the 2016-2018 as well (such as the upgraded wireless charging module).

Capricio 05-06-2022 10:14 AM

The 8" MyLink infotainment system in my 2017 Silverado 2500 HD has HD Radio. I'm surprised it wasn't maintained as standard feature for all 8" systems thereafter. Is there a licensing cost associated with it? Or why would it be disabled? I hate when manufacturers cripple features that are already on-board just to upsell to the consumer.

Anjilslaire 05-06-2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 11170545)

Uh, my infotainment screen gets blocked by the phone call UI regardless of whether I'm using AA or the OEM navigation?

Choices are choices, I just don't see the value in the expensive OEM interface. I wish all car infotainment systems simply mirrored your phone personally.

But then, I'm old and crusty in my opinions, lol

arpad_m 05-06-2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjilslaire (Post 11170676)
Uh, my infotainment screen gets blocked by the phone call UI regardless of whether I'm using AA or the OEM navigation?

Choices are choices, I just don't see the value in the expensive OEM interface. I wish all car infotainment systems simply mirrored your phone personally.

But then, I'm old and crusty in my opinions, lol

Nah, IMO the best solution is to build the infotainment platform on an existing phone OS, turning it into a special "tablet-like" device integrated with the rest of the car (HUD, DIC and all other hardware) that is fully supported by phone OS providers, which is what's happening.

DarkKnyte 05-06-2022 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 11170785)
Nah, IMO the best solution is to build the infotainment platform on an existing phone OS, turning it into a special "tablet-like" device integrated with the rest of the car (HUD, DIC and all other hardware) that is fully supported by phone OS providers, which is what's happening.

That's all I need is to have to pay yet another Apple tax every month for my radio to work, or have it standardized around Android and just not really work well with my iPhone. No thanks.

I bought the Nav because I've been to places where there's no cellphone signal and needed to rely on built-in nav to leave my destination. Apple/Google maps work great when you are in cell range. If you have no signal, and you didn't get directions before you left cell range, then you are SOL until you find a signal.

Another issue is that I've had vehicles and phones long enough to know that if the vehicle and phone are from the same era, they work fine as long as the the software doesn't change. Get a newer vehicle, newer phone, or new OS on your phone, and slowly but surely it will become less and less compatible over time. My iphone XS worked great with my 2014 Jeep GC when both were new. Now, everytime the OS updates, music has gotten more and more unreliable, laggy, and terrible experience. Nav works okay, but the audio is unpredictably loud sometimes. The same phone worked fine in my 2021 Camaro until iOS 15 dropped. Now, frequently I will tell Carplay to play a specific track, it will just ****ing ignore me like a petulant child and play whatever song it wants. Siri told me twice yesterday that Nine Inch Nails: Head Like a Hole doesn't exist at all. :facepalm:

Not life or death, but it's a small amount of money to have guaranteed navigation that works even if my phone is broken, stolen, out of range, wigging out, incompatible, etc. No judgement for anyone that is satisfied with just relying on their phones, but the option was 0.83% of the total purchase price.