CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   SS/ZL1 rear spoiler - strength/weakness (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576568)

Trochoidal 06-04-2020 04:55 PM

SS/ZL1 rear spoiler - strength/weakness

How strong are the stanchion style rear spoilers on the SS/ZL1?

I’m asking for feedback from anyone that has replaced the rear spoiler on their SS/ZL1. I want to know how delicate or durable the spoiler is especially when dealing with breaking the glued area loose.

crosive 06-04-2020 05:04 PM

I ripped the SS spoiler off my 17 ss and replaced it with a reproduction zl1 spoiler.

when I say ripped, I mean ripped, that sucker didn't want to come off. I'd say it could hold up to some abuse, but the thing you want to worry about is crinkling the sheet metal on the deck lid, it's rather thin and wouldn't take much pressure to dent it.

BluePhoenix 06-04-2020 06:00 PM

Use fishing line to work through the double sided tape a bit. Will make it a lot easier to remove. That method with working the spoiler back and fourth a bit did the trick for me. It’ll leave Some of the double sided tape behind but it’s easy to work off and clean.

Justcruising 06-04-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluePhoenix (Post 10804335)
Use fishing line to work through the double sided tape a bit. Will make it a lot easier to remove. That method with working the spoiler back and fourth a bit did the trick for me. It’ll leave Some of the double sided tape behind but it’s easy to work off and clean.

That is the same method that I used, worked like a charm

Abubaca 06-04-2020 08:13 PM

I agree that the trunk sheet metal is the concern, not the spoiler. Swapped my SS for a (GM) ZL1, and they both pretty darn stout.

arpad_m 06-04-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 10804408)
I agree that the trunk sheet metal is the concern, not the spoiler. Swapped my SS for a (GM) ZL1, and they both pretty darn stout.

Same here, fishing line and a bit of twisting and pulling made quick work of removing the SS stanchion spoiler. It's solid, and if you cut through the molding first, no danger of denting the trunk lid either, the plastic clips will detach relatively easily.

The standard ZL1 spoiler I swapped it for feels almost exactly the same except the shape and dimensions, of course.

Trochoidal 06-05-2020 07:36 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!

I’ve read numerous threads for removing and will definitely go with the fishing line method. I want to make sure there were no “surprises” with the stock spoiler itself because I want to sell it to someone that maybe interested.

I didn’t know if the spoiler would tear at the stanchion as that appears to be the weakest point.

arpad_m 06-05-2020 10:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochoidal (Post 10805019)
Thanks for the input everyone!

I’ve read numerous threads for removing and will definitely go with the fishing line method. I want to make sure there were no “surprises” with the stock spoiler itself because I want to sell it to someone that maybe interested.

I didn’t know if the spoiler would tear at the stanchion as that appears to be the weakest point.

The spoiler will remove fairly cleanly, see these photos of mine. Just don't go crazy with it :)

Trochoidal 06-06-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 10805076)
The spoiler will remove fairly cleanly, see these photos of mine. Just don't go crazy with it :)

This is good to know. Thanks again for your input.