CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Pulling Gen 6 engine (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620931)

JSH 11-08-2023 03:52 PM

Pulling Gen 6 engine

Is there a thread here on pulling a sixth gen V8 out the bottom of the car?

scooter k 11-08-2023 08:25 PM

I've pulled it out the top. With an Automatic it'd be easy.

XXX ZL1 11-09-2023 05:10 AM

Have done it out the top and bottom. The top is much less hassle in my opinion.

jlaudio11 11-09-2023 07:48 AM

Pulled mine out the top, had enough room to even leave the radiator and fan in place. Worst part is getting to all the bellhousing bolts imo.

JSH 11-09-2023 12:24 PM

I should add that I'm going to pull the SC and heads, freshen the heads, and pull the SB when I get the new LB back from LME. So, from the top makes even more sense.

L78toLT1 11-09-2023 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXX ZL1 (Post 11377548)
Have done it out the top and bottom. The top is much less hassle in my opinion.

I agree. I have a two post lift and have done it both ways. Out the top is easier IMHO

XXX ZL1 11-09-2023 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 11377710)
I should add that I'm going to pull the SC and heads, freshen the heads, and pull the SB when I get the new LB back from LME. So, from the top makes even more sense.

Blower and heads off and it will be really easy out the top. Make the top bellhousing bolts much easier also. They suck from under the car.

laynlo15 11-10-2023 06:59 AM

We pulled mine out a few times from the top, we did pull the blower but not the heads. We unbolted the trans and left it in the car, just left the 4 post lift jack under the trans while getting the new engine ready. I just raised the 4 post lift enough to slide the engine hoist legs under the lift, worked great for me. Make sure you pull the converter out and dump the fluid to make sure if looks clean and no material in it, if clean fill the converter back up and put in back on the trans. We got pretty fast and pulling out and putting it back in, unfortunately.

Tibby ZL1 11-11-2023 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 11377928)
We pulled mine out a few times from the top, we did pull the blower but not the heads. We unbolted the trans and left it in the car, just left the 4 post lift jack under the trans while getting the new engine ready. I just raised the 4 post lift enough to slide the engine hoist legs under the lift, worked great for me. Make sure you pull the converter out and dump the fluid to make sure if looks clean and no material in it, if clean fill the converter back up and put in back on the trans. We got pretty fast and pulling out and putting it back in, unfortunately.

I am glad to hear you say you pulled the engine on the 4 post lift. I got a 4 post about 2 years ago and I have not pulled an engine with it yet and honestly I wasn't sure if you could. This makes me rest easier. I imagine you had to lift it pretty high.