CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Harry's Lap Timer, Track Addict, or ? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547715)

Amiaji 02-07-2019 04:29 PM

Harry's Lap Timer, Track Addict, or ?

I will be taking my car to the track a few times this year and would like to document the events. I'm not really interested in wringing out every tenth out of the car but I do like to watch videos that have the data overlaid on them. I like seeing what gear they are in, rpms, speed, and where they are on the track. I want to be able to make videos like that.

Which app do you guys think would be the best to get?

TheRealJA105 02-08-2019 07:58 AM

Track Addict is free!

Amiaji 02-08-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 (Post 10431873)
Track Addict is free!

That's true. And I have it on my phone already and it works good. The problem is that their Race Render software free version will only let you make 3 minute videos.

I have also been playing around with Dashware to make the videos and it also works pretty good but I have ran into a problem with it. If I have my phone turned the wrong way the videos come out upside down. There is a button to click to rotate the video 180 degress and it looks right when viewing it but the when you render the video it is upside down. I haven't found a way to fix it yet other than turning my phone over when capturing the video.

Calcanuck 02-08-2019 09:59 PM

I use Harry’s with a Bluetooth ODBII scanner to record the data. It can work with your phone camera or an external camera. It costs $20 bucks but that is less than a tank of gas :)

Amiaji 02-10-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcanuck (Post 10432538)
I use Harry’s with a Bluetooth ODBII scanner to record the data. It can work with your phone camera or an external camera. It costs $20 bucks but that is less than a tank of gas :)

Which Bluetooth OBDII do you use? Harry's recommends the Scantool ODBLink MX. I was thinking of getting the MX+ but the reviews for are not so good.

Calcanuck 02-10-2019 10:34 PM

I use the PLX KIWI 3 for mine. Works fine and sends all the data to the app.

TheRealJA105 02-11-2019 07:01 AM

The ODBLink MX made the electronics in my car start going crazy on multiple occasions so I stopped using it.

wjones14 02-11-2019 10:46 AM

Just to throw another one out there, I used the RaceChrono app on an Android phone. I got the free version and logged my sessions at Lime Rock last August. Was easy to use and worked perfectly. I also used a windshield-mounted GoPro to record video. The RaceChrono lap times match the video, but unfortunately, the free version does not support video overlay. The paid version does.

Like others have said, if you want video overlay and telemetry data like rpm, gear, throttle and brake input, etc., you need an OBDII adapter, either Bluetooth or wifi.

Amiaji 02-11-2019 11:17 AM

I hadn't heard of RaceChrono. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Rodan 02-11-2019 12:33 PM

I have used RaceChrono, Track Addict and Harry's.

I would start by figuring out which one(s) already has the tracks you are going to run at listed. I have not had good results when the app needed to "map" the track.

I started with RaceChrono and have had good results, and it provides some useful data. We were at an event in CO where we had previously used transponders, but they weren't available. I couldn't get RaceChrono to map the track, so I tried Harry's... even bought the $20 version. It didn't work either... wouldn't map the track. Finally got Track Addict, and was able to get it working and get reliable data.

Of the three, I like RaceChrono the best, but I haven't tried integrating ECU data or video at this point, so I can't really speak to that. It does provide some useful data in addition to lap times: speed in corners, terminal speed on straights, G data from phone, etc.

StPeteHyper2.0 02-11-2019 08:27 PM

Anyone around here have experience with Waylens horizon dash cam and overlay? Looks nice, but expensive. Worth the price?

Amiaji 02-12-2019 08:08 AM

I had forgotten about Waylens. I'll have to look into that more.