CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   2019 Crush Clear Coat defects (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557525)

Crushed 1LE 07-01-2019 06:42 PM

2019 Crush Clear Coat defects

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 993789

Attachment 993790

Attachment 993791

This is disappointing to say the least. Just an example of what I found as I had the car under fluorescent lighting today getting ready to polish.

Maybe a wet sanding of the whole car will correct this? Canada Day here in Canada today. Lol. Speaking with the GM. Rep tomorrow.

Pictures are kinda blury. Whatya all think?

DangerZL1 07-01-2019 06:50 PM

I hope these defects are just in the clear and polish out during paint correction. At least they appear to be. First post I’ve seen on this. Keep us posted.

XXX ZL1 07-01-2019 06:51 PM

The paint on them is pretty when looked at under high end light. Found couple marks on mine that we found while getting ready for correction and ceramic coating. It all cleaned up with light compound.

wnyzl11le 07-01-2019 06:55 PM

All the imperfection cleaned up with a light compound on my riverside blue. Worst for me was the rear deck lid and the front bumper.

Crushed 1LE 07-01-2019 07:11 PM

I've tried a single step swirl remover polish from Chemical Guys with a DA polisher. No effect unfortunately. Maybe I need to be more aggressive or maybe I just let GM deal with it.

It's not good timing as I've taken 2 days off work to do the paint correction and she's booked in for PPF on Thursday. I guess I'm postponing. Newman!

RedonBlackRS 07-01-2019 07:17 PM

I don't know if that's a factory defect; it looks like tree sap damage.
Dealers park these in stupid spots under trees sometimes.
If GM gives you any gruff about it being damaged, rather than defective, take it up with your dealer.

drfeelgood 07-01-2019 07:19 PM

I have found that the paint used in our cars is the cheapest I have found on any of my vehicles in years

Crushed 1LE 07-01-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS (Post 10560427)
I don't know if that's a factory defect; it looks like tree sap damage.
Dealers park these in stupid spots under trees sometimes.
If GM gives you any gruff about it being damaged, rather than defective, take it up with your dealer.

I agree. It's really like the result of sap or bird scatar. Other than that, the paint is extremely rough to the feel using the plastic bag method. It is horrible. I was going to clay bar it until I saw the viable defects. Figured there was no point trying.

waterman 07-02-2019 12:37 AM

Mine was delivered with a no wash order.

I had two areas with bird sh*t. After gently removing the guano, both areas looked very similar to yours. Needless to say, for a brand new car I was extremely disappointed.

Clay bar helped, then V38 with a white pad improved it, but not completely. I broke down and used V38 with an orange pad with an ultra soft touch and care not to generate heat. Followed it up with a white pad. That remedied the issue for me.

Kinda sh*tty when one purchases a $70K car with imperfections like that.

FWIW, neck breaking acceleration and hitting 1.09 lateral Gs on the PDR has helped me to get past it. :thumb:

Best of luck.

Anim8er 07-02-2019 06:01 AM

Mine had swirl marks from the dealer who swore that the vehicle NEVER EVER went through their automatic car wash.... The vehicle had 10 miles on it when I picked it up.

I took it to a detailer who did all the paint correction and ceramic coated the entire exterior. They did the wheels, convertible top and interior at the same time. While it was $2k, it is worth it for the 7 year warranty and the ability to wash it with a foam cannon and dry it with a leaf blower.

ScatPack 07-02-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anim8er (Post 10560671)
Mine had swirl marks from the dealer who swore that the vehicle NEVER EVER went through their automatic car wash.... The vehicle had 10 miles on it when I picked it up.

I took it to a detailer who did all the paint correction and ceramic coated the entire exterior. They did the wheels, convertible top and interior at the same time. While it was $2k, it is worth it for the 7 year warranty and the ability to wash it with a foam cannon and dry it with a leaf blower.

TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS???? Hey if you are in the market, I have a bridge you might be interested in purchasing.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 07-02-2019 08:11 AM

OP, do not wet sand the car. There's not enough to work with. Have owned and operated body shops for a long time and have sanded, buffed and polished my fair share of vehicles. There's not enough factory clear to risk wet sanding unless you're okay with severely reducing the life span of the clear coat.

More than likely, a light polish will take care of it, level off the paint, and get it ready for an LSP. If necessary, you can spot treat those areas with a 2 or 3 step process with more aggressive combinations of pads/compounds. If it's under the paint, good luck with GM without a good dealer at your side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPack (Post 10560680)
TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS???? Hey if you are in the market, I have a bridge you might be interested in purchasing.

Fairly standard price point for the amount of work he did...Let me know how long it takes you to do a full prep on paint, wheels, calipers, top, glass, and coat all surfaces with 1-3 layers of Ceramic, allowing cure time in between. You'll have to throw away easily $50 in towels and applicators alone. Labor is expensive for detail work like this.

I detail my own cars with a process like that and let me tell you I wouldn't do it for cheap...

zegreatone 07-03-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPack (Post 10560680)

Sounds about right. I charge $1,250+Tax CND for a 1 step paint correction and 5-year Ceramic coating with a 2-year Top coating... OP, I recommend taking it to a detailer to have it inspected. I am pretty certain a paint correction can knock those spots down quite a bit. You'll want someone that has a paint gauge so they can determine if it has compromised the clear coat, or if it just a layer on top of it. My Mosaic Black SS had lots of those cloudy (Sanding) spots all over it from coming right from the factory. I've seen cars over $500,000 with defects in the paint...

2004YZFR1 04-18-2020 07:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 2020 2SS 1LE has a few specks of dirt and a eye lash or something that looks like one under the clear coat. But only on the passenger side. There is one light spot on the right side that must be a thin spot or something.Let me see if I can get the pictures to load.

I know I don't want to have the dealer try to fix it. Anything that would get re sprayed will never hold up as well as the stock paint.
And I agree, I'm sure you will find defects in paint jobs on cars that cost way more than our Camaro's.

Attachment 1028217Attachment 1028216